Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Can I make Asp program sleep?

Can I make Asp program sleep?

c676228

Hi all,

We use Payflow Pro from Verisign(Now it calls paypal Payflow Pro) as a
gateway software to process credit card payment.

Most of time, Paypal server is OK and we don't have problems for credit card
payment. But we do experience some issues sometimes.
i.e. Occasionally, after credit card information was submitted to payPal
server, we didn't get any response from their server, no error code, it is
just an empty string.

I am not sure how it happened. I am thinking it's probably caused by our
server program not waiting long enough for their server's response if their
server has some performance issue(slow in response) at that time. When the
server response is not back yet, our program goes forward already, then cause
the return string from their server is empty. Am I on the right track?

That's why I am thinking to make our asp program sleep for a while at this
statement:

Executor.Application = sDosCmd 'this command basically has credit card
info for processing
sResult=Executor.ExecuteDosApp 'sResult is the string back from paypal server

I want to add sleep 3000 right after this statement.
then check is sResult is empty, if not, program goes on. If yes, continue to
sleep...
until a non-empty string returns or quit the transaction after a long enough
waiting.

Would you like to share some your experiences of credit card transactions? I
am dealing with a production server, so it is a very critical issue for us.

I googled a bit. It says on ServerObejcts.com it has waitfor 1.0 we can
download.
I don't see this product.

Thank you,
--
Betty

Bob Barrows

No.

--
HTH,
Bob Barrows

Evertjan.

Bob Barrows wrote on 20 nov 2008 in

>> Can I make Asp program sleep?

> No.

Perhaps yes, Bob,

Does this wait for 100 millisecs, or till the theString is not empty?

[jscript]
var endTime = new Date() + 100
do {
now get fresh value for theString;
} while (theString=="" && endTime > new Date());

[not!!! tested]

It would be much better to have the client do new AJAX requests for some
time, until the answer is in, freeing the server from any waiting.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Bob Barrows

Evertjan. wrote:
> Bob Barrows wrote on 20 nov 2008 in
>
>>> Can I make Asp program sleep?

>> No.

> Perhaps yes, Bob,
>
> Does this wait for 100 millisecs, or till the theString is not empty?
>
> [jscript]
> var endTime = new Date() + 100
> do {
> now get fresh value for theString;
> } while (theString=="" && endTime > new Date());
>
> [not!!! tested]

That is not sleeping, but you know that.
--
HTH,
Bob Barrows

Evertjan.

Bob Barrows wrote on 20 nov 2008 in

> Evertjan. wrote:
>> Bob Barrows wrote on 20 nov 2008 in

>>> No.

>> Perhaps yes, Bob,
>>
>> Does this wait for 100 millisecs, or till the theString is not empty?
>>
>> [jscript]
>> var endTime = new Date() + 100
>> do {
>> now get fresh value for theString;
>> } while (theString=="" && endTime > new Date());
>>
>> [not!!! tested]
>>

> That is not sleeping, but you know that.

That is just a question of semantics, Bob, of definition.

The many parallel tasks of the OS are distributed anyway, so if a single
task is not given the right priority, there is no or not much difference
with a central task distributing loop that incorporates sleep timeouts.

Only in a badly designed OS, such loops take too much of the processing
time pool.

Perhaps they are badly designed anyway.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Steven Cheng

Hi Betty,

Have you got any progress on this issue?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

-=----------------------------
>From: =?Utf-8?B?YzY3NjIyOA==?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: Can I make Asp program sleep?
>Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 11:20:01 -0800

>Hi all,
>
>We use Payflow Pro from Verisign(Now it calls paypal Payflow Pro) as a
>gateway software to process credit card payment.
>
>Most of time, Paypal server is OK and we don't have problems for credit

card
>payment. But we do experience some issues sometimes.
>i.e. Occasionally, after credit card information was submitted to payPal
>server, we didn't get any response from their server, no error code, it is
>just an empty string.
>
>I am not sure how it happened. I am thinking it's probably caused by our
>server program not waiting long enough for their server's response if

their
>server has some performance issue(slow in response) at that time. When the
>server response is not back yet, our program goes forward already, then

cause
>the return string from their server is empty. Am I on the right track?
>
>That's why I am thinking to make our asp program sleep for a while at this
>statement:
>
> Executor.Application = sDosCmd 'this command basically has credit card
>info for processing
> sResult=Executor.ExecuteDosApp 'sResult is the string back from paypal

server

>I want to add sleep 3000 right after this statement.
>then check is sResult is empty, if not, program goes on. If yes, continue

>sleep...
>until a non-empty string returns or quit the transaction after a long

enough
>waiting.
>
>Would you like to share some your experiences of credit card transactions?

>am dealing with a production server, so it is a very critical issue for us.
>
>I googled a bit. It says on ServerObejcts.com it has waitfor 1.0 we can
>download.
>I don't see this product.
>
>Thank you,
>--
>Betty

Anthony Jones

"c676228" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> We use Payflow Pro from Verisign(Now it calls paypal Payflow Pro) as a
> gateway software to process credit card payment.
>
> Most of time, Paypal server is OK and we don't have problems for credit
> card
> payment. But we do experience some issues sometimes.
> i.e. Occasionally, after credit card information was submitted to payPal
> server, we didn't get any response from their server, no error code, it is
> just an empty string.
>
> I am not sure how it happened. I am thinking it's probably caused by our
> server program not waiting long enough for their server's response if
> their
> server has some performance issue(slow in response) at that time. When the
> server response is not back yet, our program goes forward already, then
> cause
> the return string from their server is empty. Am I on the right track?
>
> That's why I am thinking to make our asp program sleep for a while at this
> statement:
>
> Executor.Application = sDosCmd 'this command basically has credit card
> info for processing
> sResult=Executor.ExecuteDosApp 'sResult is the string back from paypal
> server
>
> I want to add sleep 3000 right after this statement.
> then check is sResult is empty, if not, program goes on. If yes, continue
> sleep...
> until a non-empty string returns or quit the transaction after a long
> enough
> waiting.

What is Executor?

Are you saying you want something like this:-

Dim sResult : sResult = ""
sResult = Executor.ExecuteDosApp
Do While sResult = ""
'Sleep here
sResult = Executor.ExecuteDosApp
Loop

It would look like you would be calling ExecuteDosApp multiple times, the
name of the method would seem to indicate that would not be good.

Are you sure that ExecuteDosApp doesn't block or have a blocking version
that waits for the spawned process to complete?

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET