Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > cookies 101

cookies 101

shank

I have a website www.MyWebsite.com that requires cookies to work properly.
No problem. I write and read cookies without issue.

Problem: I'm using alternate domain names via GoDaddy and use masking. With
masking, the cookies no longer work as planned.

Example: Land on the site with www.MySite.com, then click any link to get
to, say, www.MyWebsite.com/page1.asp that depends on a cookie originating
from www.MyWebsite.com and I get an error.

I guess what I'm asking is how do I write a cookie for www.MyWebsite.com
while using domain name www.MySite.com to find the site?

thanks

Evertjan.

shank wrote on 19 nov 2008 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

> I have a website www.MyWebsite.com that requires cookies to work
> properly. No problem. I write and read cookies without issue.
>
> Problem: I'm using alternate domain names via GoDaddy and use masking.
> With masking, the cookies no longer work as planned.
>
> Example: Land on the site with www.MySite.com, then click any link to
> get to, say, www.MyWebsite.com/page1.asp that depends on a cookie
> originating from www.MyWebsite.com and I get an error.
>
> I guess what I'm asking is how do I write a cookie for
> www.MyWebsite.com while using domain name www.MySite.com to find the
> site?

Cookies exist on the browser,
so what is the classic ASP connection of this Q?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Anthony Jones

"shank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a website www.MyWebsite.com that requires cookies to work properly.
>No problem. I write and read cookies without issue.
>
> Problem: I'm using alternate domain names via GoDaddy and use masking.
> With masking, the cookies no longer work as planned.
>
> Example: Land on the site with www.MySite.com, then click any link to get
> to, say, www.MyWebsite.com/page1.asp that depends on a cookie originating
> from www.MyWebsite.com and I get an error.
>
> I guess what I'm asking is how do I write a cookie for www.MyWebsite.com
> while using domain name www.MySite.com to find the site?
>
> thanks

You can't. Could you imagine what would happen if code from one domain
could read and/or modify cookies to be used by another. Joe public visits
www.betyourinterestedinthis.com which then fiddles with cookies belonging
to www.mybankaccount.com. Not a good idea.

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

p byers

shank wrote:

> I have a website www.MyWebsite.com that requires cookies to work properly.
> No problem. I write and read cookies without issue.
>
> Problem: I'm using alternate domain names via GoDaddy and use masking. With
> masking, the cookies no longer work as planned.
>
> Example: Land on the site with www.MySite.com, then click any link to get
> to, say, www.MyWebsite.com/page1.asp that depends on a cookie originating
> from www.MyWebsite.com and I get an error.
>
> I guess what I'm asking is how do I write a cookie for www.MyWebsite.com
> while using domain name www.MySite.com to find the site?
>
> thanks

Try passing the values as "hidden" form variables

Just a clue - I do it often

Pete (Northolt UK)