Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > ADODB connection string on SBS 2008

ADODB connection string on SBS 2008

Onetoomany

Hi,

I've just upgraded to Small Business Server 2008, 64 bit.

My website, which worked perfectly before, is having issues with the
connection string:
I've tried:
1) sConnection = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
Source=F:\Website\databases\database.mdb;"
2) sConnection = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data
Source=F:\Website\databases\database.mdb;"
3) sConnection = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver
(*.mdb)};Dbq=F:\Website\Manydown.com\databases\man ydown.mdb;"

I get the error: (1 & 2)
ADODB.Recordset error '800a0e7a'
Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed.

/default.asp, line 55

(3)
error '80004005'
/default.asp, line 55

Googling seems to indicate that MS has removed Jet from Server 2008, but I
can't find a suitable replacement. I've downloaded the 2007 Access driver,
so I'm surprised that I get this error from it.
I've given IUSR_server (Internet Guest Account) and Network Service full
rights to my database folder.

Help?

Thanks

Richard.

Bob Barrows

Onetoomany wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just upgraded to Small Business Server 2008, 64 bit.
>
> My website, which worked perfectly before, is having issues with the
> connection string:
> I've tried:
> 1) sConnection = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
> Source=F:\Website\databases\database.mdb;"
> 2) sConnection = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data
> Source=F:\Website\databases\database.mdb;"
> 3) sConnection = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver
> (*.mdb)};Dbq=F:\Website\Manydown.com\databases\man ydown.mdb;"
>
> I get the error: (1 & 2)
> ADODB.Recordset error '800a0e7a'
> Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed.
>
> /default.asp, line 55
>
> (3)
> error '80004005'
> /default.asp, line 55
>
> Googling seems to indicate that MS has removed Jet from Server 2008,
> but I can't find a suitable replacement. I've downloaded the 2007
> Access driver, so I'm surprised that I get this error from it.
> I've given IUSR_server (Internet Guest Account) and Network Service
> full rights to my database folder.

You need to download the 64-bit Jet components from MS:

But doesn't SBS use a SQL Server backend?

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
"NO SPAM"

Onetoomany

Thanks. Jet does not want to install onto 2008 - it seems that (according
to microsoft) Jet is already installed...

I've managed to solve the problem, but not overly satisfactoraily:
1) Set the applicaiton pool to 32 bit
This then gave me a "The requested page cannot be accessed because the
related configuration data for the page is invalid" error.

To solve this I had to:
2) Uninstall RPC over HTTP Proxy
3) Disable the httpCompression

Finally working, but getting errors in the system log for having uninstalled
the RPC over HTTP proxy.

"Bob Barrows" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Onetoomany wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just upgraded to Small Business Server 2008, 64 bit.
>>
>> My website, which worked perfectly before, is having issues with the
>> connection string:
>> I've tried:
>> 1) sConnection = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
>> Source=F:\Website\databases\database.mdb;"
>> 2) sConnection = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data
>> Source=F:\Website\databases\database.mdb;"
>> 3) sConnection = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver
>> (*.mdb)};Dbq=F:\Website\Manydown.com\databases\man ydown.mdb;"
>>
>> I get the error: (1 & 2)
>> ADODB.Recordset error '800a0e7a'
>> Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed.
>>
>> /default.asp, line 55
>>
>> (3)
>> error '80004005'
>> /default.asp, line 55
>>
>> Googling seems to indicate that MS has removed Jet from Server 2008,
>> but I can't find a suitable replacement. I've downloaded the 2007
>> Access driver, so I'm surprised that I get this error from it.
>> I've given IUSR_server (Internet Guest Account) and Network Service
>> full rights to my database folder.
>>

> You need to download the 64-bit Jet components from MS:
>

> But doesn't SBS use a SQL Server backend?
>
> --
> Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
> "NO SPAM"

Bob Barrows

You may want to run this by the folks over at .inetserver.iis ...

--
HTH,
Bob Barrows

Daniel Crichton

Onetoomany wrote on Sun, 16 Nov 2008 22:26:32 -0000:

> Thanks. Jet does not want to install onto 2008 - it seems that
> (according to microsoft) Jet is already installed...

Windows 2008 includes the latest version of Jet - however, it's still only
32-bit (there is no 64-bit version of Jet that I am aware of). The 64-bit
SP8 for Jet 4 for Windows 2003 is the same installer that runs on the 32-bit
OS versions too - the 64-bit in the KB article name is irrelevant, it's just
there for those users who have 2003 64-bit.

> I've managed to solve the problem, but not overly satisfactoraily:
> 1) Set the applicaiton pool to 32 bit
> This then gave me a "The requested page cannot be accessed because the
> related configuration data for the page is invalid" error.

> To solve this I had to:
> 2) Uninstall RPC over HTTP Proxy
> 3) Disable the httpCompression

> Finally working, but getting errors in the system log for having
> uninstalled the RPC over HTTP proxy.

I think you need to run IIS itself in 32-bit mode to use the Jet drivers
properly - you seem to have managed to kludge it to work with IIS in 64-bit
mode with a 32-bit application pool and I'm not sure this is supported or
even stable.

Dan

> "Bob Barrows" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Onetoomany wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> I've just upgraded to Small Business Server 2008, 64 bit.

>>> My website, which worked perfectly before, is having issues with the
>>> connection string:
>>> I've tried:
>>> 1) sConnection = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
>>> Source=F:\Website\databases\database.mdb;"
>>> 2) sConnection = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data
>>> Source=F:\Website\databases\database.mdb;"
>>> 3) sConnection = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver
>>> (*.mdb)};Dbq=F:\Website\Manydown.com\databases\man ydown.mdb;"

>>> I get the error: (1 & 2)
>>> ADODB.Recordset error '800a0e7a'
>>> Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed.

>>> /default.asp, line 55

>>> (3)
>>> error '80004005'
>>> /default.asp, line 55

>>> Googling seems to indicate that MS has removed Jet from Server 2008,
>>> but I can't find a suitable replacement. I've downloaded the 2007
>>> Access driver, so I'm surprised that I get this error from it.
>>> I've given IUSR_server (Internet Guest Account) and Network Service
>>> full rights to my database folder.

>> You need to download the 64-bit Jet components from MS:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...lyid=AD2B6698-
>> DE73-47DC-911B-50F4F0627FF4&displaylang=en

>> But doesn't SBS use a SQL Server backend?

>> --
>> Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
>> the "NO SPAM"

Anthony Jones

"Daniel Crichton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Onetoomany wrote on Sun, 16 Nov 2008 22:26:32 -0000:
>
>> Thanks. Jet does not want to install onto 2008 - it seems that
>> (according to microsoft) Jet is already installed...

> Windows 2008 includes the latest version of Jet - however, it's still only
> 32-bit (there is no 64-bit version of Jet that I am aware of). The 64-bit
> SP8 for Jet 4 for Windows 2003 is the same installer that runs on the
> 32-bit OS versions too - the 64-bit in the KB article name is irrelevant,
> it's just there for those users who have 2003 64-bit.
>

>> I've managed to solve the problem, but not overly satisfactoraily:
>> 1) Set the applicaiton pool to 32 bit
>> This then gave me a "The requested page cannot be accessed because the
>> related configuration data for the page is invalid" error.

>> To solve this I had to:
>> 2) Uninstall RPC over HTTP Proxy
>> 3) Disable the httpCompression

>> Finally working, but getting errors in the system log for having
>> uninstalled the RPC over HTTP proxy.

> I think you need to run IIS itself in 32-bit mode to use the Jet drivers
> properly - you seem to have managed to kludge it to work with IIS in
> 64-bit mode with a 32-bit application pool and I'm not sure this is
> supported or even stable.

IIS itself won't run in 64 bit on a 2008 server. Its the application pools
where the choice needs to be made. No 32 bit components will attempt to run
in the inetinfo process. Everything (including the ISAPI filters) run in
the w3wp worker processes which may be either 32 to 64 bits.

It would be appropriate in this case to set the application pool to use the
Classic pipeline, and therefore make it behave much more like IIS6.

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET