Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Missing close of script tag

Missing close of script tag

Ron Hinds

I'm getting this error on IIS6/W2K3 SP2 Standard Edition. The odd thing is,
this exact same code runs on a machine that, as far as I know, is configured
identically. One other strange thing about the machine with the error: When
I first setup the machine and added the web application, it wouldn't run at
all. I finally figured out by searching the newsgroups that the Web Service
Extension for ASP needed to be "Allowed". I never had to do this on the
original (development) machine. I'm thinking I've misconfigured somehting,
but I have no idea what or how to fix it. Help!

Ron Hinds

Disregard - I found it!
\
"Ron Hinds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Oov1D%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm getting this error on IIS6/W2K3 SP2 Standard Edition. The odd thing
> is, this exact same code runs on a machine that, as far as I know, is
> configured identically. One other strange thing about the machine with the
> error: When I first setup the machine and added the web application, it
> wouldn't run at all. I finally figured out by searching the newsgroups
> that the Web Service Extension for ASP needed to be "Allowed". I never had
> to do this on the original (development) machine. I'm thinking I've
> misconfigured somehting, but I have no idea what or how to fix it. Help!

David Wang

It appears that your machines are not configured identically.

If you had to enable Web Service Extension for ASP, that means that
when IIS was installed, the ASP feature was not checked/enabled. This
means that the machines are not configured through identical setup
steps -- thus, it is imperative for you to identify "what else is
different" since it is completely unique to your situation/environment
for which we have no information.

For the benefit of future searches -- what did you end up doing that
"resolved" your issue?

//David
http://w3-4u.blogspot.com
http://blogs.msdn.com/David.Wang
//

On Sep 28, 2:27*pm, "Ron Hinds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Disregard - I found it!
> \"Ron Hinds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:Oov1D%(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > I'm getting this error on IIS6/W2K3 SP2 Standard Edition. The odd thing
> > is, this exact same code runs on a machine that, as far as I know, is
> > configured identically. One other strange thing about the machine with the
> > error: When I first setup the machine and added the web application, it
> > wouldn't run at all. I finally figured out by searching the newsgroups
> > that the Web Service Extension for ASP needed to be "Allowed". I never had
> > to do this on the original (development) machine. I'm thinking I've
> > misconfigured somehting, but I have no idea what or how to fix it. Help!- Hide quoted text -

Ron Hinds

> "David Wang" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It appears that your machines are not configured identically.
>
> If you had to enable Web Service Extension for ASP, that means that
> when IIS was installed, the ASP feature was not checked/enabled. This
> means that the machines are not configured through identical setup
> steps --

You're right! On the original machine, I manually installed all of the
server extras, like IIS, DNS, etc. through Add/Remove Windows Components. On
this new machine, thinking I would save time (!), I foolishly trusted the
"Configure your Server" "wizard", and, of course, it bit me on the behind!

> thus, it is imperative for you to identify "what else is
> different" since it is completely unique to your situation/environment
> for which we have no information.

I wish I knew, but since the actions of the "wizard" are undocumented, I
have no way of knowing. And at this point, I'm not inclined to start over
from scratch.

> For the benefit of future searches -- what did you end up doing that
> "resolved" your issue?

As so often happens when you run into something unexpected, I tried various
other steps before discovering the Web Service Extension issue. I got rid of
some superfluous code in my global.asa but accidently wiped out the closing
script tag - oops!

David Wang

On Sep 28, 8:37*pm, "Ron Hinds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > "David Wang" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > It appears that your machines are not configured identically.

> > If you had to enable Web Service Extension for ASP, that means that
> > when IIS was installed, the ASP feature was not checked/enabled. This
> > means that the machines are not configured through identical setup
> > steps --

> You're right! On the original machine, I manually installed all of the
> server extras, like IIS, DNS, etc. through Add/Remove Windows Components.On
> this new machine, thinking I would save time (!), I foolishly trusted the
> "Configure your Server" "wizard", and, of course, it bit me on the behind!
>
> > thus, it is imperative for you to identify "what else is
> > different" since it is completely unique to your situation/environment
> > for which we have no information.

> I wish I knew, but since the actions of the "wizard" are undocumented, I
> have no way of knowing. And at this point, I'm not inclined to start over
> from scratch.
>
> > For the benefit of future searches -- what did you end up doing that
> > "resolved" your issue?

> As so often happens when you run into something unexpected, I tried various
> other steps before discovering the Web Service Extension issue. I got ridof
> some superfluous code in my global.asa but accidently wiped out the closing
> script tag - oops!

I see. So the real issue was thaat you didn't enable ASP (but found
out about enabling Web Service Extension for ASP to solve that issue),
and when you did that, you found out about the other problem in code
you inadvertently caused.

The Wizard doesn't do anything extra that you could not do. It just
didn't do everything you did.