Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Better debugging of classic ASP with Visual Studio 2008 SP1

Better debugging of classic ASP with Visual Studio 2008 SP1

Mike Gale

VS 2008 initially didn't debug classic ASP.
SP1 fixes this in some ways. You can debug if you select the debug option
to "Start Without Debugging, then either attach the debugger manually or
place a stop directive in the code which ends up doing the same thing.
The problem with this is that you can't debug browser side Javascript in the
same debug run.
You get a "The breakpoint will not currently be hit. The document is not
loaded." if you try to both at the same time.
Does anybody here know how to debug the whole application (Browser
Javascript and server side VBScript) in one run of the debugger?

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Mike,

As for script debugging, class ASP's vbscript debugging is still
server-side debugging. While for the browser -side script(client script)
that's different from server-side classic ASP debugging. You need to follow
the client script debugging settings. Here is a blog entry on scottgu's
blog which mentioned this:

#VS 2008 JavaScript Debugging
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archi...script-debuggi
ng.aspx

So generally, in visual studio 2008, for client-side script debugging, you
can directly drop breakpoint on client-side script and the debugger can
help you automatically hit it when debugging running.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

http://support.microsoft.com/select/...tance&ln=en-us.

--------------------
>From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBHYWxl?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: Better debugging of classic ASP with Visual Studio 2008 SP1
>Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 17:02:13 -0700

>VS 2008 initially didn't debug classic ASP.
>SP1 fixes this in some ways. You can debug if you select the debug option
>to "Start Without Debugging, then either attach the debugger manually or
>place a stop directive in the code which ends up doing the same thing.
>The problem with this is that you can't debug browser side Javascript in

the
>same debug run.
>You get a "The breakpoint will not currently be hit. The document is not
>loaded." if you try to both at the same time.
>Does anybody here know how to debug the whole application (Browser
>Javascript and server side VBScript) in one run of the debugger?

Mike Gale

Hi Steven,

That's not the issue.

I am able to debug JavaScript on the Browser, ASP.NET and ASP. No problem
I'm set up.

The issue I have is that I cannot debug both JavaScript on the browser and
classic ASP on the server, in the same debug session. (With ASPX I can debug
server and browser together.)

I expect there's a setting that enables me to do both together for the
classic ASP case.

I'd like to know what the setting / technique is.

Failing that confirmation that this is not possible would save me spending
any more hours looking for it.

Mike Gale

I've just had a message from Mikhail Arkhipov who knows all about this
debugging.

He confirms that both cannot be debugged in the same session. (Though he
suggests a macro may be possible that enables that. I have no plans to write
such a macro myself.)

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Mike,

Then, that'll be a limitation of the classic ASP debugging. You may need to
separate the client-side and server-side debugging process in your case.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(E-Mail Removed).