Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > class methods

class methods

bthumber

I've been assigned to write a very general class to select, insert, update
and delete record using a SQL database. I need to use a database factory as
well. I looking for an example, tutorial, something on the msdn web site.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

bthumber wrote:
> I've been assigned to write a very general class to select, insert,
> update and delete record using a SQL database. I need to use a
> database factory as well. I looking for an example, tutorial,
> something on the msdn web site.

I'm not sure what this has to do with classic (COM-based) ASP.

It sounds like you're being asked to reinvent the wheel. Look for the
Patterns downloads on msdn

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Evertjan.

=?Utf-8?B?YnRodW1iZXI=?= wrote on 02 sep 2008 in

> I've been assigned to write a very general class to select, insert,
> update and delete record using a SQL database. I need to use a
> database factory as well. I looking for an example, tutorial,
> something on the msdn web site.

"Assigned" like in school assignment?

If so wouldn't part of that job be searching for yourself?

If not,
why restrict yourself to one website,
and what is the sense of writing such class?

What is a "database factory" and why do you need to use it??

Are you sure you ment to post here, on a classic ASP NG?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

bthumber

Evertjan
You did not answer my question, in fact your response was very negative. A
more decend response would be like the one from Bob Barrows. If you do know
the answer to a question then please don't bother with such a poorly throught
out response.

"Evertjan." wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?YnRodW1iZXI=?= wrote on 02 sep 2008 in
>
> > I've been assigned to write a very general class to select, insert,
> > update and delete record using a SQL database. I need to use a
> > database factory as well. I looking for an example, tutorial,
> > something on the msdn web site.

> "Assigned" like in school assignment?
>
> If so wouldn't part of that job be searching for yourself?
>
> If not,
> why restrict yourself to one website,
> and what is the sense of writing such class?
>
> What is a "database factory" and why do you need to use it??
>
> Are you sure you ment to post here, on a classic ASP NG?
>
> --
> Evertjan.
> The Netherlands.

Evertjan.

=?Utf-8?B?YnRodW1iZXI=?= wrote on 02 sep 2008 in
> "Evertjan." wrote:
>
>> =?Utf-8?B?YnRodW1iZXI=?= wrote on 02 sep 2008 in
>>
>> > I've been assigned to write a very general class to select, insert,
>> > update and delete record using a SQL database. I need to use a
>> > database factory as well. I looking for an example, tutorial,
>> > something on the msdn web site.

>> "Assigned" like in school assignment?
>>
>> If so wouldn't part of that job be searching for yourself?
>>
>> If not,
>> why restrict yourself to one website,
>> and what is the sense of writing such class?
>>
>> What is a "database factory" and why do you need to use it??
>>
>> Are you sure you ment to post here, on a classic ASP NG?

[Please do not toppost on usenet and do not quote signatures]

> Evertjan

Strange, adressing me by my name, while you do not supply even a nickname.
Some would call that rude, if this weren't usenet.

> You did not answer my question, in fact your response was very
> negative. A more decend response would be like the one from Bob
> Barrows. If you do know the answer to a question then please don't
> bother with such a poorly throught out response.

This is usenet, not a paid answering service.
On usenet the answers are not restricted to what you want them to be.

I hope my aswer, no my questions got you thinking,
not just increasing your adrenaline level,
though for some that helps the little white cells working.

And yes, Bob is a very decent guy.

Even so, perhaps answering some of my questions,
even in your mind only, could have a learning effect.

What is a "database factory"?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Old Pedant

"bthumber" wrote:

> Evertjan
> You did not answer my question, in fact your response was very negative.

Well, you didn't ask a very specific question.

Both Bob and Evertjan asked you a question that you failed to answer: Are
you doing this for classic ASP, using VBScript? Or is this for ASP.NET?

If it's for ASP.NET, you are in the wrong group. And, as Bob said, you'd be
reinventing the wheel for the umpteenth time.

If this *is* for classic ASP, then Evertjan is asking you if this is
homework. Generally, people in groups like this won't do your homework. They
expect you to at least make an effort. Write some code. Get stuck. THEN ask
for help.

> If you do know the answer to a question then please don't bother with such a poorly throught out response.

Believe me, Evertjan knows the answer. Along with a few thousand other
answers. And I believe he probably thought out his response and made every
point he intended to make.

bthumber

As I recall my question asked for if they new of any examples, or tutorials,
Bob pointed me in the right direction, "tutorials," of which I am using right
now. As far as homework for school, not many students can shell out the >
$1000.00 bucks to get a msdn subscription, so that question was out of line
anyway. If this question was in wrong group a suggestion as to a better
group would have been a better answer.

Again I asked for tutorials or examples you might want to take a look at the
orginal question, I'm not concern with what Evertjan knows or don't, if you
don't have something positive to add then don't respond or keep your
negativity to yourself.

"Old Pedant" wrote:

> "bthumber" wrote:
>
> > Evertjan
> > You did not answer my question, in fact your response was very negative.

> Well, you didn't ask a very specific question.
>
> Both Bob and Evertjan asked you a question that you failed to answer: Are
> you doing this for classic ASP, using VBScript? Or is this for ASP.NET?
>
> If it's for ASP.NET, you are in the wrong group. And, as Bob said, you'd be
> reinventing the wheel for the umpteenth time.
>
> If this *is* for classic ASP, then Evertjan is asking you if this is
> homework. Generally, people in groups like this won't do your homework. They
> expect you to at least make an effort. Write some code. Get stuck. THEN ask
> for help.
>
> > If you do know the answer to a question then please don't bother with such a poorly throught out response.

> Believe me, Evertjan knows the answer. Along with a few thousand other
> answers. And I believe he probably thought out his response and made every
> point he intended to make.

Mike Brind [MVP]

As this is a .NET question, it is outside the scope of this newsgroup, and I
normally don't answer .Net questions here. However, you may find these
links useful:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...amppet4_topic5

Further .NET related questions should be asked at forums.asp.net or
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet or
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet

--
Mike Brind
MVP - ASP/ASP.NET

news:(E-Mail Removed)...