Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Gradient fill?

Gradient fill?

Bob Altman

Hi all,

Here's another rank beginner question. What is the standard way to fill a
client-side table cell with a horizontal gradient background?

TIA - Bob

Jialiang Ge [MSFT]

Good afternoon Bob

There are several methods to create a horizontal gradient background for a
client-side table cell:

**** METHOD 1. Use CSS ****
If you're fine with restricting to IE then we can create gradients using
CSS filters (the Microsoft homepage did this for a long while): see
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...97(vs.85).aspx.
This only works for IE. It cannot be rendered by Firefox, Safari, etc.

However, some community members enhanced this solution by adding the
cross-browser support:
http://weblogs.asp.net/pleloup/archi...22/433775.aspx
<quote>
This has been tested and verified to work in MSIE6, Firefox 1.0.7, Safari
2.0.1, Opera 7.5 & 8.5 on Windows 2K, XP and OS X.
</quote>

Strength: We can dynamically define the gradient color range.
Weakness: The performance is relatively lower than METHOD 2

**** METHOD 2. Stretch a static image to fill the table cell ****
If you know what the start and end colors are in advance, we can pre-design
an image with the expected gradient color range, then load and stretch the
static image to the table cell.

Strength: Better performance.
Weakness: The background image need to be pre-designed, so we cannot
dynamically change the color range of the gradient effect.

By the way, some people may suggest using GDI+ to programmatically create
such an image in method 2 so that we can dynamically change the start color
and the end color. For example: http://www.devx.com/vb2themax/Tip/18733.
Please note that this is not an supported behavior. GDI+ is not supported
to be used in ASP.NET, ASP, or windows service. This may lead to some
unexpected results.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...m.drawing.aspx

Please let me know whether the suggestions above are helpful to you. If you
have any other questions or concerns, DON'T hesitate to tell me.

Regards,
Jialiang Ge ((E-Mail Removed), remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

http://support.microsoft.com/select/...tance&ln=en-us.

Bob Altman

""Jialiang Ge [MSFT]"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Good afternoon Bob
>
> There are several methods to create a horizontal gradient background for a
> client-side table cell:
>
> **** METHOD 1. Use CSS ****
> [snip]
> **** METHOD 2. Stretch a static image to fill the table cell ****
> [snip]

Thanks Jialiang, that's just what I was looking for.

Bob Altman

""Jialiang Ge [MSFT]"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> **** METHOD 2. Stretch a static image to fill the table cell ****
> If you know what the start and end colors are in advance, we can
> pre-design
> an image with the expected gradient color range, then load and stretch the
> static image to the table cell.
>
> Please let me know whether the suggestions above are helpful to you. If
> you
> have any other questions or concerns, DON'T hesitate to tell me.

Hi Jialiang,

I posted a follow-up question over in the
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet newsgroup (since this is an ASP.Net
question).

Jialiang Ge [MSFT]

Hi Bob,

I've replied your follow-up question in the asp.net newsgroup. If you have
any other questions or concerns, please DON'T hesitate to tell me.

Regards,
Jialiang Ge ((E-Mail Removed), remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

(E-Mail Removed).

Mark McGinty

"Bob Altman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ""Jialiang Ge [MSFT]"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Good afternoon Bob
>>
>> There are several methods to create a horizontal gradient background for
>> client-side table cell:
>>
>> **** METHOD 1. Use CSS ****
>> [snip]
>> **** METHOD 2. Stretch a static image to fill the table cell ****
>> [snip]

> Thanks Jialiang, that's just what I was looking for.

If you make the static image a transparent gray-scale gradient (.gif or
..png) with white as the transparent color, you can stretch it to fit inside
of a DIV with background-color set to anything you want -- thus giving you
dynamic choice of gradient color. (The only thing that remains static is
the pattern density of the gradient.)

-Mark

TD style gradient filter Mark ASP .Net 2 08-03-2005 03:05 PM
I'm Envious of the nice ASP.NET gradient toolbars =?Utf-8?B?RG90bmV0IFdhbmRlcmVy?= ASP .Net 5 11-15-2004 03:57 AM
Create Gradient Background on Web Page Wayne Wengert ASP .Net 4 09-08-2004 03:24 PM
How fill with gradient? Woody Splawn ASP .Net 5 07-01-2004 09:49 PM
Re: gradient.aspx. how does it work go_d2 ASP .Net 1 04-03-2004 05:13 PM

Advertisments