Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Calling an ASP.NET page from ASP?

Calling an ASP.NET page from ASP?

Toni

Is there a recommended way for a .ASP page to call a .ASPX page? I've got a function in
an ASPX page that I need to call from an ASP page. The web site is quite busy, so I'd be
happy to find the most EFFICIENT way to do this?

Right now, I'm looking at using XMLHTTP to call the ASPX page. I'm confident that this
will work, and will return the value I want - but I'm curious if anyone feels that there
is a more efficient way to do this?

Thanks lots!!!

Toni

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Toni wrote:
> Is there a recommended way for a .ASP page to call a .ASPX page? I've
> got a function in an ASPX page that I need to call from an ASP page.
> The web site is quite busy, so I'd be happy to find the most
> EFFICIENT way to do this?
>
> Right now, I'm looking at using XMLHTTP to call the ASPX page. I'm
> confident that this will work, and will return the value I want - but
> I'm curious if anyone feels that there is a more efficient way to do
> this?

No, that would be the only way. On the server you would use ServerXMLHTTP,
not XMLHTTP.

You might consider putting that function into a web service, but that's out
of scope of this group.

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

Toni

"Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote...
> Toni wrote:
> > Is there a recommended way for a .ASP page to call a .ASPX page? I've
> > got a function in an ASPX page that I need to call from an ASP page.
> > The web site is quite busy, so I'd be happy to find the most
> > EFFICIENT way to do this?
> >
> > Right now, I'm looking at using XMLHTTP to call the ASPX page. I'm
> > confident that this will work, and will return the value I want - but
> > I'm curious if anyone feels that there is a more efficient way to do
> > this?
> >

> No, that would be the only way. On the server you would use ServerXMLHTTP,
> not XMLHTTP.
>
> You might consider putting that function into a web service, but that's out
> of scope of this group.

Bob, Thanks!

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the term "web service" and Google gives me too much
nonuseful info on this...

Just so I know where to start looking - when you refer to putting the function into a
web service, are you referning to the function in my ASPX page, OR, an ASP web service
that calls the ASPX page? I'm not asking to go outside the scope of this group, just
give me a hint so I can get started?

Toni

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Toni wrote:
> "Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote...
>> Toni wrote:
>>> Is there a recommended way for a .ASP page to call a .ASPX page?
>>> I've
>>> got a function in an ASPX page that I need to call from an ASP page.
>>> The web site is quite busy, so I'd be happy to find the most
>>> EFFICIENT way to do this?
>>>
>>> Right now, I'm looking at using XMLHTTP to call the ASPX page. I'm
>>> confident that this will work, and will return the value I want -
>>> but
>>> I'm curious if anyone feels that there is a more efficient way to do
>>> this?
>>>

>> No, that would be the only way. On the server you would use
>> ServerXMLHTTP,
>> not XMLHTTP.
>>
>> You might consider putting that function into a web service, but
>> that's out
>> of scope of this group.

> Bob, Thanks!
>
> Sorry, I'm not familiar with the term "web service" and Google gives
> me too much nonuseful info on this...
>
> Just so I know where to start looking - when you refer to putting the
> function into a web service, are you referning to the function in my
> ASPX page, OR, an ASP web service that calls the ASPX page? I'm not
> asking to go outside the scope of this group, just give me a hint so
> I can get started?

No, I'm talking about taking the function completely out of the aspx page
and putting it into an asmx page. That way both your aspx and asp pages can
call it. Do a google for "consuming web service from classic asp" for some
info.

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"