Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > CDO.dll or cdosys.dll

CDO.dll or cdosys.dll

Jerry C

I am working on a program that gets mail messages from the default SMTP
server with iis 6.0 on windows server 2003. I am using the cdosys.dll in the
system32 directory. The reference Name is "Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
Library".

On the machine there is a CDO.dll in the Program Files\Common
Files\System\MSMAPI\1033 directory.

The question is which one of these is the current dll. I also wonder if
there is better way to access mail messages in the SMTP server. Does the
dotnet framework have a object for this like system.net.mail that does this.

I am using the objects:
Dim objDropDir As New CDO.DropDirectory
Dim objMessages As CDO.IMessages
Dim objMailMessage As CDO.IMessage
Dim MailAttachments As CDO.IBodyParts
Dim MailAttachment As CDO.IBodyPart

to get messages in the drop directory (.eml files) open them and get any
attached file.

Thank you

--
Jerry

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Jerry,

As for the CDO.dll , it is a Mail message component based on the MAPI
providers(work mostly as exchange client). While CDOSYS.dll is a standalone
library for SMTP messaging(not rely on the MAPI providers or exchange
server). Here is a knowledge base article mentioned the version information:

#Where to acquire the CDO Libraries (all versions)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/171440

BTW, for the System.Net.Mail classes in .net framework, so far based on my
understanding, that namespace provide some classes for sending emails via
SMTP protocol. However, it doesn't support reading or parsing existing
email messages(file based).

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

suggestions about how we

can improve the support we provide to you. Please feel free to let my
manager know what you think of

the level of service provided. You can send feedback directly to my manager
at: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed).

where an initial response

from the community or a Microsoft Support
up response may take

approximately 2 business days as the support
most efficient resolution.

The offering is not appropriate for situations
project analysis and dump

analysis issues. Issues of this nature are best handled working with a
dedicated Microsoft Support

Engineer by contacting Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) at

http://support.microsoft.com/select/...tance&ln=en-us.
rights.--------------------

>From: =?Utf-8?B?SmVycnkgQw==?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: CDO.dll or cdosys.dll
>Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 09:22:01 -0700

>I am working on a program that gets mail messages from the default SMTP
>server with iis 6.0 on windows server 2003. I am using the cdosys.dll in

the
>system32 directory. The reference Name is "Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
>Library".
>
>On the machine there is a CDO.dll in the Program Files\Common
>Files\System\MSMAPI\1033 directory.
>
>The question is which one of these is the current dll. I also wonder if
>there is better way to access mail messages in the SMTP server. Does the
>dotnet framework have a object for this like system.net.mail that does

this.

>I am using the objects:
> Dim objDropDir As New CDO.DropDirectory
> Dim objMessages As CDO.IMessages
> Dim objMailMessage As CDO.IMessage
> Dim MailAttachments As CDO.IBodyParts
> Dim MailAttachment As CDO.IBodyPart
>
>to get messages in the drop directory (.eml files) open them and get any
>attached file.
>
>Thank you
>

>--
>Jerry

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Jerry,

How are you doing?
Have you got any further ideas or still have any question on this issue?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(E-Mail Removed).

--------------------

>From: (E-Mail Removed) (Steven Cheng [MSFT])
>Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 06:34:56 GMT
>Subject: RE: CDO.dll or cdosys.dll

>Hi Jerry,
>
>As for the CDO.dll , it is a Mail message component based on the MAPI
>providers(work mostly as exchange client). While CDOSYS.dll is a

standalone
>library for SMTP messaging(not rely on the MAPI providers or exchange
>server). Here is a knowledge base article mentioned the version

information:

>#Where to acquire the CDO Libraries (all versions)
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/171440
>
>BTW, for the System.Net.Mail classes in .net framework, so far based on my
>understanding, that namespace provide some classes for sending emails via
>SMTP protocol. However, it doesn't support reading or parsing existing
>email messages(file based).
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Steven Cheng
>
>Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead
>

>Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your comments and
>suggestions about how we
>
>can improve the support we provide to you. Please feel free to let my
>manager know what you think of
>
>the level of service provided. You can send feedback directly to my

manager
>at: (E-Mail Removed).
>
>================================================= =
>Get notification to my posts through email? Please refer to
>
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subs...#notifications.
>
>Note: The MSDN Managed Newsgroup support offering is for non-urgent issues
>where an initial response
>
>from the community or a Microsoft Support
>Engineer within 1 business day is acceptable. Please note that each follow

Jerry C

Steven,

Thank you.
I will be using the CDOSYS.dll.

Even thought my question seems basic your answers and Knowledge saves me a
lot of time determining if I am using the correct technology for the given
task. You provide a valuable service.

Thank you
--
Jerry

"Steven Cheng [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Jerry,
>
> How are you doing?
> Have you got any further ideas or still have any question on this issue?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Steven Cheng
> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

> (E-Mail Removed).

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subs...#notifications.
>
> --------------------
>
> >From: (E-Mail Removed) (Steven Cheng [MSFT])
> >Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 06:34:56 GMT
> >Subject: RE: CDO.dll or cdosys.dll

> >Hi Jerry,
> >
> >As for the CDO.dll , it is a Mail message component based on the MAPI
> >providers(work mostly as exchange client). While CDOSYS.dll is a

> standalone
> >library for SMTP messaging(not rely on the MAPI providers or exchange
> >server). Here is a knowledge base article mentioned the version

> information:
> >
> >#Where to acquire the CDO Libraries (all versions)
> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/171440
> >
> >BTW, for the System.Net.Mail classes in .net framework, so far based on my
> >understanding, that namespace provide some classes for sending emails via
> >SMTP protocol. However, it doesn't support reading or parsing existing
> >email messages(file based).
> >
> >Sincerely,
> >
> >Steven Cheng
> >
> >Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead
> >

> >Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your comments and
> >suggestions about how we
> >
> >can improve the support we provide to you. Please feel free to let my
> >manager know what you think of
> >
> >the level of service provided. You can send feedback directly to my

> manager
> >at: (E-Mail Removed).
> >
> >================================================= =
> >Get notification to my posts through email? Please refer to
> >
> >http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subs...#notifications.
> >
> >Note: The MSDN Managed Newsgroup support offering is for non-urgent issues
> >where an initial response
> >
> >from the community or a Microsoft Support
> >Engineer within 1 business day is acceptable. Please note that each follow

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

You're welcome

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

--------------------

>Subject: RE: CDO.dll or cdosys.dll
>Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 06:58:00 -0700

>Steven,
>
>Thank you.
> I will be using the CDOSYS.dll.
>
>Even thought my question seems basic your answers and Knowledge saves me a
>lot of time determining if I am using the correct technology for the given
>task. You provide a valuable service.
>
>Thank you
>--
>Jerry
>

>"Steven Cheng [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Jerry,
>>
>> How are you doing?
>> Have you got any further ideas or still have any question on this issue?
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Steven Cheng
>> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead
>>

>> Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your comments

and

Please
>> (E-Mail Removed).

rights.