Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > transparent redirection in asp

transparent redirection in asp

rvj

if you redirect on an IIS , must the client url address bar always be
updated with the new address. what options are?

Q1 if a user requests http://old.com , is there a method of ASP
redirection to http://new.com
which does not update the client browser's address bar

Q2 ... or is this one of the main benefits of the IIS URL rewriter ??

Q3 and am I correct in thinking that search engines would only contain
indexes for http://old.com

rvj

what I forgot to ask is

Q4 whether URL rewriter only works within the current domain

http://old.domain.com is rewritten as http://domain.com/new

Q5 are there any other methods of redirection to other domains which are
"hidden" from the client
(other than making serverside http requests and using response.write
to display it)

"rvj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> if you redirect on an IIS , must the client url address bar always be
> updated with the new address. what options are?
>

> Q1 if a user requests http://old.com , is there a method of ASP
> redirection to http://new.com
> which does not update the client browser's address bar
>
> Q2 ... or is this one of the main benefits of the IIS URL rewriter ??
>
> Q3 and am I correct in thinking that search engines would only contain
> indexes for http://old.com

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "rvj" <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> if you redirect on an IIS , must the client url address bar always be
> updated with the new address. what options are?
>

> Q1 if a user requests http://old.com , is there a method of ASP
> redirection to http://new.com
> which does not update the client browser's address bar

Frames, but that's a bad idea. Why would you not want the address bar
updated? Wouldn't you want the user to able to bookmark the new address?

> Q2 ... or is this one of the main benefits of the IIS URL rewriter ??

If you are talking about http://www.example.com/somepage.asp?
string=long&type=very&something=else&etc=etc changing to
http://www.example.com/somepage1234.html that's a rewrite of a document,
not a domain.

> Q3 and am I correct in thinking that search engines would only contain
> indexes for http://old.com

If a SE gets a 301 then it will make note and change its index
accordingly. This is a lot safer than doing it client side with the
meta http-equivalent element. Of course, if that is the only choice,
then one would want to put a link to the new address in the body of the
document, with instructions to update bookmarks.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Anthony Jones

"rvj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> what I forgot to ask is
>

> Q4 whether URL rewriter only works within the current domain
>
> http://old.domain.com is rewritten as http://domain.com/new
>

> Q5 are there any other methods of redirection to other domains which are
> "hidden" from the client
> (other than making serverside http requests and using

response.write
> to display it)

Your server could make the request to the other server on behalf ot the
client and return the response.

However as was asked by Adrienne, why would you need this?

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

rvj

> Frames, but that's a bad idea. Why would you not want the address bar
> updated? Wouldn't you want the user to able to bookmark the new address?

Well one of main reasons for URL rewriter is to allow sites to create easy
to remember URIs which ideally never need changing
when the location changes I think this is also known as URL masking

> If you are talking about http://www.example.com/somepage.asp?
> string=long&type=very&something=else&etc=etc changing to
> http://www.example.com/somepage1234.html that's a rewrite of a document,
> not a domain.

Ok I was making a simple example - perhaps a liitle too simple. I'm
assuming the default document
located on http://old..com has been moved to http://new.com.

The issue is how to mask the fact that it has moved. A possible alternative
at the domain level would be to change the DNS
record for old.com to point to new.com. The issue is the same - how to make
the URIs appear to the user to be written in stone

> If a SE gets a 301 then it will make note and change its index
> accordingly. This is a lot safer than doing it client side with the
> meta http-equivalent element. Of course, if that is the only choice,
> then one would want to put a link to the new address in the body of the
> document, with instructions to update bookmarks.

same issue as above to make bookmarks permanent and also search engine
friendly
as described in
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(printer).aspx

"Adrienne Boswell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9AEE5EBBBE416arbpenyahoocom@69.16.185.247. ..
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "rvj" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> writing in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> if you redirect on an IIS , must the client url address bar always be
>> updated with the new address. what options are?
>>

>> Q1 if a user requests http://old.com , is there a method of ASP
>> redirection to http://new.com
>> which does not update the client browser's address bar

> Frames, but that's a bad idea. Why would you not want the address bar
> updated? Wouldn't you want the user to able to bookmark the new address?
>

>> Q2 ... or is this one of the main benefits of the IIS URL rewriter ??

> If you are talking about http://www.example.com/somepage.asp?
> string=long&type=very&something=else&etc=etc changing to
> http://www.example.com/somepage1234.html that's a rewrite of a document,
> not a domain.
>

>> Q3 and am I correct in thinking that search engines would only contain
>> indexes for http://old.com
>>

> If a SE gets a 301 then it will make note and change its index
> accordingly. This is a lot safer than doing it client side with the
> meta http-equivalent element. Of course, if that is the only choice,
> then one would want to put a link to the new address in the body of the
> document, with instructions to update bookmarks.
>
> --
> Adrienne Boswell at Home
> Arbpen Web Site Design Services
> http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

rvj

> Your server could make the request to the other server on behalf ot the
> client and return the response.

that was solution I was suggesting >> " making serverside http requests and
using
response.write to display it"

> However as was asked by Adrienne, why would you need this?

URL to URI migration

"Anthony Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "rvj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> what I forgot to ask is
>>

>> Q4 whether URL rewriter only works within the current domain
>>
>> http://old.domain.com is rewritten as http://domain.com/new
>>

>> Q5 are there any other methods of redirection to other domains which are
>> "hidden" from the client
>> (other than making serverside http requests and using

> response.write
>> to display it)
>>

> Your server could make the request to the other server on behalf ot the
> client and return the response.
>
> However as was asked by Adrienne, why would you need this?
>

> --
> Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

Anthony Jones

"rvj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > Frames, but that's a bad idea. Why would you not want the address bar
> > updated? Wouldn't you want the user to able to bookmark the new address?

> Well one of main reasons for URL rewriter is to allow sites to create

easy
> to remember URIs which ideally never need changing
> when the location changes I think this is also known as URL masking

I've not some across that term before. Sites that create easy to remember
URLs that they transform to another URL for its own consumption use URL
rewriting and don't normally modifiy the authority element of the URL, only
the path and search elements. This transform is not seen by the client
since it happens only inside the server.

If a server such as IIS is supporting multiple sites it may be possible to
use a URL rewriting ISAPI filter to divert requests from to one host name to
another as long as both are being supplied by the server.

> > If you are talking about http://www.example.com/somepage.asp?
> > string=long&type=very&something=else&etc=etc changing to
> > http://www.example.com/somepage1234.html that's a rewrite of a document,
> > not a domain.

> Ok I was making a simple example - perhaps a liitle too simple. I'm
> assuming the default document
> located on http://old..com has been moved to http://new.com.
>
> The issue is how to mask the fact that it has moved. A possible

alternative
> at the domain level would be to change the DNS
> record for old.com to point to new.com. The issue is the same - how to

make
> the URIs appear to the user to be written in stone

You are correct modifying the DNS and have whatever server is supplying
new.com supply its content as old.com as well would work. Is this not a
solution you could use?

However it still isn't clear why the URL in the browser must not change.
Why not use a permanent redirect?

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

rvj

> However it still isn't clear why the URL in the browser must not change.
> Why not use a permanent redirect?

Maybe but really at the moment I'm still fact finding
I'm just trying to see what options are available and pick the most
appropriate

Thanks

"Anthony Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "rvj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> > Frames, but that's a bad idea. Why would you not want the address bar
>> > updated? Wouldn't you want the user to able to bookmark the new
>> > address?

>> Well one of main reasons for URL rewriter is to allow sites to create

> easy
>> to remember URIs which ideally never need changing
>> when the location changes I think this is also known as URL masking
>>

> I've not some across that term before. Sites that create easy to remember
> URLs that they transform to another URL for its own consumption use URL
> rewriting and don't normally modifiy the authority element of the URL,
> only
> the path and search elements. This transform is not seen by the client
> since it happens only inside the server.
>
> If a server such as IIS is supporting multiple sites it may be possible to
> use a URL rewriting ISAPI filter to divert requests from to one host name
> another as long as both are being supplied by the server.
>
>> > If you are talking about http://www.example.com/somepage.asp?
>> > string=long&type=very&something=else&etc=etc changing to
>> > http://www.example.com/somepage1234.html that's a rewrite of a
>> > document,
>> > not a domain.

>> Ok I was making a simple example - perhaps a liitle too simple. I'm
>> assuming the default document
>> located on http://old..com has been moved to http://new.com.
>>
>> The issue is how to mask the fact that it has moved. A possible

> alternative
>> at the domain level would be to change the DNS
>> record for old.com to point to new.com. The issue is the same - how to

> make
>> the URIs appear to the user to be written in stone
>>

> You are correct modifying the DNS and have whatever server is supplying
> new.com supply its content as old.com as well would work. Is this not a
> solution you could use?
>
> However it still isn't clear why the URL in the browser must not change.
> Why not use a permanent redirect?
>

> --
> Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

Anthony Jones

"rvj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > However it still isn't clear why the URL in the browser must not change.
> > Why not use a permanent redirect?

> Maybe but really at the moment I'm still fact finding
> I'm just trying to see what options are available and pick the most
> appropriate

Fine, in that case unless you can demonstrate a concrete reason why the URL
in the client browser should not change you should go with a permanent
re-direct.

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

Neil Gould

Hi Adrienne,

Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "rvj" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> writing in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> if you redirect on an IIS , must the client url address bar always be
>> updated with the new address. what options are?
>>

>> Q1 if a user requests http://old.com , is there a method of ASP
>> redirection to http://new.com
>> which does not update the client browser's address bar

> Frames, but that's a bad idea.

I've seen this stated in a few places, but the information appeared to be
rather old and I understand why it was iffy to use frames about a decade
ago. Is there any current reason why you feel that using frames is a bad
idea?

--
Neil