Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > CDOSYS send email with ASP

CDOSYS send email with ASP

paulmitchell507

I have a file called email2.asp which I am using to mail data obtained
from a SQL query. I would like to pass the holiday_ID value in the
querystring attached to the end of the URL. It all works except that
I can't get the value of holiday_ID included as a querystring. As a
test I can insert a value after the ?id= and this is passed as a
querystring.

I am sure it's just the syntax that I am having problem with

<%
Option Explicit
<!--#include file="admin_navigation.asp" -->

'Declare variables
Dim sch, cdoConfig, cdoMessage, holiday_ID, email, auth
holiday_ID = Request.Form("myname")
sch = "http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/"

Set cdoConfig = CreateObject("CDO.Configuration")

With cdoConfig.Fields
'Set CDO Port
.Item(sch & "sendusing") = 2
'Set mailserver name either IP address, mail.yoursite.com or
localhost
.Item(sch & "smtpserver") = "192.156.217.6"
'Set SMTP port which is 25 by default
.Item(sch & "smtpserverport") = 25
'Set number of seconds before timeout
.Item(sch & "smtpconnectiontimeout") = 60
.update
End With

Set cdoMessage = CreateObject("CDO.Message")

With cdoMessage
Set .Configuration = cdoConfig
.From = "(E-Mail Removed)"
.To = "(E-Mail Removed)"
.Subject = ""& email
'Send the email in HTML format
.HTMLBody = "<a href='http://192.156.217.134/authorise.asp?
.Send
End With

Set cdoMessage = Nothing
Set cdoConfig = Nothing
%>

Evertjan.

paulmitchell507 wrote on 31 jul 2008 in

> I have a file called email2.asp which I am using to mail data obtained
> from a SQL query. I would like to pass the holiday_ID value in the
> querystring attached to the end of the URL. It all works except that
> I can't get the value of holiday_ID included as a querystring. As a
> test I can insert a value after the ?id= and this is passed as a
> querystring.
>
> I am sure it's just the syntax that I am having problem with
> .HTMLBody = "<a href='http://192.156.217.134/authorise.asp?

In your example
part of a string sould automagically change into the value of a variable?

If you think that is possible, it would seem you have no idea what
programming is about.

Try:

..HTMLBody = "<a href='http://192.156.217.134/authorise.asp?id="&_

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

paulmitchell507

On Jul 31, 2:50*pm, "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> paulmitchell507 wrote on 31 jul 2008 in
>
> > I have a file called email2.asp which I am using to mail data obtained
> > from a SQL query. *I would like to pass the holiday_ID value in the
> > querystring attached to the end of the URL. *It all works except that
> > I can't get the value of holiday_ID included as a querystring. *As a
> > test I can insert a value after the ?id= and this is passed as a
> > querystring.

> > I am sure it's just the syntax that I am having problem with
> > * * * * .HTMLBody = "<a href='http://192.156.217.134/authorise.asp?

> In your example
> part of a string sould automagically change into the value of a variable?
>
> If you think that is possible, it would seem you have no idea what
> programming is about.
>
> Try:
>
> .HTMLBody = "<a href='http://192.156.217.134/authorise.asp?id="&_
>
> --
> Evertjan.
> The Netherlands.

You are correct, I know very little about programming, hence why I
have posted the question. Maybe I have not explained myself very
well. If insert the following code
HTMLBody = "<a href='http://192.156.217.134/authorise.asp'>delete
The user will receive a hyperlink called 'delete record' which will
take them to my authorise.asp page.
All I want to do is add my variable, holiday_ID to the string, a bit
like response.write "my holiday id is" & holiday_ID
So when the user activates the link, the user gets directed to the asp
page with the holiday_ID as a querystring. I can then use the
holiday_ID value in the authorise.asp page.

Evertjan.

paulmitchell507 wrote on 31 jul 2008 in

>> Try:
>>
>> .HTMLBody = "<a href='http://192.156.217.134/authorise.asp?id="&_

[please do not quite signatures on usenet]

> You are correct, I know very little about programming, hence why I
> have posted the question. Maybe I have not explained myself very
> well. If insert the following code
> HTMLBody = "<a href='http://192.156.217.134/authorise.asp'>delete
> The user will receive a hyperlink called 'delete record' which will
> take them to my authorise.asp page.
> All I want to do is add my variable, holiday_ID to the string, a bit
> like response.write "my holiday id is" & holiday_ID
> So when the user activates the link, the user gets directed to the asp
> page with the holiday_ID as a querystring. I can then use the
> holiday_ID value in the authorise.asp page.

.... and my example above does not do that?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

paulmitchell507

On Jul 31, 4:26*pm, "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> paulmitchell507 wrote on 31 jul 2008 in
>
> >> Try:

> >> .HTMLBody = "<a href='http://192.156.217.134/authorise.asp?id="&_

> [please do not quite signatures on usenet]
>

> > You are correct, I know very little about programming, hence why I
> > have posted the question. *Maybe I have not explained myself very
> > well. *If insert the following code
> > HTMLBody = "<a href='http://192.156.217.134/authorise.asp'>delete
> > The user will receive a hyperlink called 'delete record' which will
> > take them to my authorise.asp page.
> > All I want to do is add my variable, holiday_ID to the string, a bit
> > like response.write "my holiday id is" & holiday_ID
> > So when the user activates the link, the user gets directed to the asp
> > page with the holiday_ID as a querystring. *I can then use the
> > holiday_ID value in the authorise.asp page.

> ... and my example above does not do that?
>
> --
> Evertjan.
> The Netherlands.

Dear Evertjan
Sorry, I did not see your example code in the previous post. Thank
you very much for taking the time to help me, the following code works

.HTMLBody = "<a href='http://192.x.x.x/authorise.asp?id="& email

Paul
PS Maybe you could assist me in the future...I am sure I am going to
need it!

Evertjan.

paulmitchell507 wrote on 01 aug 2008 in

> On Jul 31, 4:26*pm, "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> paulmitchell507 wrote on 31 jul 2008 in

> _

>> [please do not quite signatures on usenet]
>>

>> > You are correct, I know very little about programming, hence why I
>> > have posted the question. *Maybe I have not explained myself very
>> > well. *If insert the following code
>> > HTMLBody = "<a href='http://192.156.217.134/authorise.asp'>delete
>> > The user will receive a hyperlink called 'delete record' which will
>> > take them to my authorise.asp page.
>> > All I want to do is add my variable, holiday_ID to the string, a
>> > bit like response.write "my holiday id is" & holiday_ID
>> > So when the user activates the link, the user gets directed to the
>> > asp page with the holiday_ID as a querystring. *I can then use the
>> > holiday_ID value in the authorise.asp page.

>> ... and my example above does not do that?
>>
>> --
>> Evertjan.
>> The Netherlands.
>> (Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)

> Dear Evertjan
> Sorry, I did not see your example code in the previous post. Thank
> you very much for taking the time to help me, the following code works
>
> .HTMLBody = "<a href='http://192.x.x.x/authorise.asp?id="& email
>
> Paul
> PS Maybe you could assist me in the future...I am sure I am going to
> need it!

Only if you read the responses completely, as I nearly wrote:
"[please do not quote signatures on usenet]"
and you did not follow that Netiquette advice.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

paulmitchell507

On Aug 1, 2:03*pm, "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> paulmitchell507 wrote on 01 aug 2008 in
>

> > On Jul 31, 4:26*pm, "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> paulmitchell507 wrote on 31 jul 2008 in
> >> microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

> > _

> >> [please do not quite signatures on usenet]

> >> ... and my example above does not do that?

> >> --
> >> Evertjan.
> >> The Netherlands.
> >> (Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)

> > Dear Evertjan
> > Sorry, I did not see your example code in the previous post. *Thank
> > you very much for taking the time to help me, the following code works

> > .HTMLBody = "<a href='http://192.x.x.x/authorise.asp?id="& email

> > Paul
> > PS Maybe you could assist me in the future...I am sure I am going to
> > need it!

> Only if you read the responses completely, as I nearly wrote:
> "[please do not quote signatures on usenet]"
> and you did not follow that Netiquette advice.
>
> --
> Evertjan.
> The Netherlands.
> (Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)- Hide quoted text -

Ok, no signatures!
My next problem (again simple to solve if you have the knowledge)
regarding CDOSYS. The CDOSYS script is located on email.asp,
surrounded by the delimiters <% and %>. I would like to run the
CDOSYS script and then use a SQL insert command to update the
database. At the monent, I cant get the email.asp page to do anything
other than run the CDOSYS script.

Evertjan.

paulmitchell507 wrote on 01 aug 2008 in

>> Only if you read the responses completely, as I nearly wrote:
>> "[please do not quote signatures on usenet]"
>> and you did not follow that Netiquette advice.
>>
>> --
>> Evertjan.
>> The Netherlands.
>> (Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)- Hide quoted text
>> -

> Ok, no signatures!

You misunderstand. Your signature should be there,
but there is no reason to QUOTE mine(!) in your(!) posting.

> My next problem (again simple to solve if you have the knowledge)

How would you know?

> regarding CDOSYS. The CDOSYS script is located on email.asp,
> surrounded by the delimiters <% and %>. I would like to run the
> CDOSYS script and then use a SQL insert command to update the
> database. At the monent, I cant get the email.asp page to do anything
> other than run the CDOSYS script.

There is no "CDOSYS script" as such, there is ASP-vbscript or
ASP-jscript between the <% and the %>, that is executed by and on the
server.

CDOSYS commands can be inserted in such scripts, if you want that email
functionality used. I myself use Jmail instead. The scripting can be
done in any .asp file, the name email.asp is just the name the
programmer that wrote your page gave to the page file, and it could have
included other functionality as well.

So if you want to add or change functionality, there are two options:

1 You learn to programme in ASP-vbs and/or ASP-jscript, and programme
yourself. If you get into trouble, we will be here to help you, but we
will not do the task for you, see 2.

2 You let someone else do the task. Usually you pay such programmer for
his work.

A good start for learning would be to read the archives of this NG, or
to search for ASP tutorials on Google.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

paulmitchell507

On Aug 1, 4:13*pm, "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> paulmitchell507 wrote on 01 aug 2008 in
>
> >> Only if you read the responses completely, as I nearly wrote:
> >> "[please do not quote signatures on usenet]"
> >> and you did not follow that Netiquette advice.

> >> --
> >> Evertjan.
> >> The Netherlands.
> >> (Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)- Hide quoted text
> >> -

> > Ok, no signatures!

> You misunderstand. Your signature should be there,
> but there is no reason to QUOTE mine(!) in your(!) posting.
>
> > My next problem (again simple to solve if you have the knowledge)

> How would you know?
>
> > regarding CDOSYS. *The CDOSYS script is located on email.asp,
> > surrounded by the delimiters <% and %>. *I would like to run the
> > CDOSYS script and then use a SQL insert command to update the
> > database. *At the monent, I cant get the email.asp page to do anything
> > other than run the CDOSYS script.

> There is no "CDOSYS script" as such, there is ASP-vbscript or
> ASP-jscript between the <% and the %>, that is executed by and on the
> server.
>
> CDOSYS commands can be inserted in such scripts, if you want that email
> functionality used. I myself use Jmail instead. The scripting can be
> done in any .asp file, the name email.asp is just the name the
> programmer that wrote your page gave to the page file, and it could have
> included other functionality as well.
>
> So if you want to add or change functionality, there are two options:
>
> 1 You learn to programme in ASP-vbs and/or ASP-jscript, and programme
> yourself. If you get into trouble, we will be here to help you, but we
> will not do the task for you, see 2.
>
> 2 You let someone else do the task. Usually you pay such programmer for
> his work.
>
> A good start for learning would be to read the archives of this NG, or
> to search for ASP tutorials on Google.
>
> --
> Evertjan.
> The Netherlands.

Forget my last post!
I was looking at the wrong asp page. The SQL INSERT command was not
working because I had not not written it correctly. I have everything
working except for one last task. I will do a bit more research
before posting for help!

paulmitchell507

On Aug 4, 2:19*pm, paulmitchell507 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Aug 1, 4:13*pm, "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > paulmitchell507 wrote on 01 aug 2008 in
> > microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

> > > Ok, no signatures!

> > You misunderstand. Your signature should be there,
> > but there is no reason to QUOTE mine(!) in your(!) posting.

> > > My next problem (again simple to solve if you have the knowledge)

> > How would you know?

> > > regarding CDOSYS. *The CDOSYS script is located on email.asp,
> > > surrounded by the delimiters <% and %>. *I would like to run the
> > > CDOSYS script and then use a SQL insert command to update the
> > > database. *At the monent, I cant get the email.asp page to do anything
> > > other than run the CDOSYS script.

> > There is no "CDOSYS script" as such, there is ASP-vbscript or
> > ASP-jscript between the <% and the %>, that is executed by and on the
> > server.

> > CDOSYS commands can be inserted in such scripts, if you want that email
> > functionality used. I myself use Jmail instead. The scripting can be
> > done in any .asp file, the name email.asp is just the name the
> > programmer that wrote your page gave to the page file, and it could have
> > included other functionality as well.

> > So if you want to add or change functionality, there are two options:

> > 1 You learn to programme in ASP-vbs and/or ASP-jscript, and programme
> > yourself. If you get into trouble, we will be here to help you, but we
> > will not do the task for you, see 2.

> > 2 You let someone else do the task. Usually you pay such programmer for
> > his work.

> > A good start for learning would be to read the archives of this NG, or
> > to search for ASP tutorials on Google.

> > --
> > Evertjan.
> > The Netherlands.
> > (Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)

> Forget my last post!
> I was looking at the wrong asp page. *The SQL INSERT command was not
> working because I had not not written it correctly. *I have everything
> working except for one last task. *I will do a bit more research
> before posting for help!- Hide quoted text -

Ok, I think I am trying to doing something that is very simple,
inserting the results of a SQL query into an existing table in my
access DB.

uSQL = "SELECT cal_date, holiday_ID from Calendar, holiday_tbl WHERE
(((calendar.cal_Date) Between [holiday_tbl].[startdate] And
[holiday_tbl].[enddate])) And Email_sent=0 AND Staff_ID=" & Staff_ID

The query returns a holiday_ID and a cal_date for each record if finds
that matches the criteria. I can test the results my adding the
following,

If recordset.EOF Then
Response.write "<div align='centre'>Sorry no holidays found</div>"
Else
Do while not recordset.Eof
response.write recordset("holiday_id") & " " & recordset("cal_date") &
" "
recordset.movenext
Loop
End If

My question is simple, how can I insert the results into an existing
table named holiday_dates? The table has 2 fields, holiday_ID and
cal_date.

Regards, Paul