Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Problems with Charset Encoding

Problems with Charset Encoding

Grimps

Here's my workflow... I've built a CMS and users enter their content through
a WYSIWYG component which is a text area replacement. Then I save that data
to a flat file with an ASP extension (I've used FSO as well as Text Streaming
with Charset UTF-.

When the page renders, I do a Server.Execute to present this file inside the
design. The problem is that I get all sorts of weird characters. especially
with some spaces, returns and especially on curly quotes. Also... at the top
of the file I get the BOM characters. My pages are also using UTF-8. Has
anyone else seen this? How can I fix it?

Thank you.

Phil Grimpo
Executive Director
Inspirmedia

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed =?Utf-8?B?R3JpbXBz?=
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Here's my workflow... I've built a CMS and users enter their content
> through a WYSIWYG component which is a text area replacement. Then I
> save that data to a flat file with an ASP extension (I've used FSO as
> well as Text Streaming with Charset UTF-.
>
> When the page renders, I do a Server.Execute to present this file
> inside the design. The problem is that I get all sorts of weird
> characters. especially with some spaces, returns and especially on
> curly quotes. Also... at the top of the file I get the BOM characters.
> My pages are also using UTF-8. Has anyone else seen this? How can I
> fix it?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Phil Grimpo
> Executive Director
> Inspirmedia

Do you have a URL? What is character set is the server sending?

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Anthony Jones

"Grimps" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here's my workflow... I've built a CMS and users enter their content

through
> a WYSIWYG component which is a text area replacement. Then I save that

data
> to a flat file with an ASP extension (I've used FSO as well as Text

Streaming
> with Charset UTF-.
>
> When the page renders, I do a Server.Execute to present this file inside

the
> design. The problem is that I get all sorts of weird characters.

especially
> with some spaces, returns and especially on curly quotes. Also... at the

top
> of the file I get the BOM characters. My pages are also using UTF-8. Has
> anyone else seen this? How can I fix it?

Most likely you've failed to inform the browser that it is getting UTF-8.
You need:-

Response.CharSet = "UTF-8" at the top of your host page.

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

Phil Grimpo

I tried adding that to the top of my host page and it didn't seem to
work. Take a look at http://www.lutherhaven.com/ Notice the left
side, the BOM ( ) at the top of the file and then the boxes
throughout the left side. Any other ideas? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!

-Phil

Anthony Jones wrote:
> "Grimps" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Here's my workflow... I've built a CMS and users enter their content

> through
>> a WYSIWYG component which is a text area replacement. Then I save that

> data
>> to a flat file with an ASP extension (I've used FSO as well as Text

> Streaming
>> with Charset UTF-.
>>
>> When the page renders, I do a Server.Execute to present this file inside

> the
>> design. The problem is that I get all sorts of weird characters.

> especially
>> with some spaces, returns and especially on curly quotes. Also... at the

> top
>> of the file I get the BOM characters. My pages are also using UTF-8. Has
>> anyone else seen this? How can I fix it?
>>

> Most likely you've failed to inform the browser that it is getting UTF-8.
> You need:-
>
> Response.CharSet = "UTF-8" at the top of your host page.

Phil Grimpo

I've been seeing this more and more on the web. Anyone have any ideas
how to fix this?

Thanks!

-Phil