Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Noise and Thesaurus UDF

Noise and Thesaurus UDF

Dooza

Can anyone help me create a function that will accept a string of words,
then remove any that are listed in a noise word table, add any that
match in the thesaurus table, and returned to whatever called it?

Cheers,

Steve

Old Pedant

"Dooza" wrote:

> Can anyone help me create a function that will accept a string of words,
> then remove any that are listed in a noise word table, add any that
> match in the thesaurus table, and returned to whatever called it?

Doesn't sound overly hard. In what language? How big are the tables?

I hope you don't mean SQL. You could do it, but it would be ugly as sin.

OR.... If you are talking about SQL Server, and you are using SQL Server
2005 or later (even Express edition), you might consider writing the code in
C# or VB.NET and using a CLR-based SP.

Ehhh...I guess it wouldn't be *THAT* hard to write in old-fashioned T-SQL,
but it sure wouldn't be fast, I'm guessing.

Dooza

Old Pedant wrote:

> "Dooza" wrote:
>
>> Can anyone help me create a function that will accept a string of words,
>> then remove any that are listed in a noise word table, add any that
>> match in the thesaurus table, and returned to whatever called it?

> Doesn't sound overly hard. In what language? How big are the tables?
>
> I hope you don't mean SQL. You could do it, but it would be ugly as sin.
>
> OR.... If you are talking about SQL Server, and you are using SQL Server
> 2005 or later (even Express edition), you might consider writing the code in
> C# or VB.NET and using a CLR-based SP.
>
> Ehhh...I guess it wouldn't be *THAT* hard to write in old-fashioned T-SQL,
> but it sure wouldn't be fast, I'm guessing.

Ahh you found my post before I cancelled it... it was destined for the
sql group not the asp group, and I have since crafted a t-sql solution
that works nicely for my situation. (am on SQL 2000 by the way)

Thanks anyway

Steve