Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Shorten url strings in ASP?

Reply
Thread Tools

Shorten url strings in ASP?

 
 
treeguy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-17-2008
I am not a developer but my site has long URL strings that have
problem getting crawled. I understand Google now will crawl past the +
but does not like the long strings. I tried URL rewrite and it did not
work for me. Seem like there would be command in the asp to tell ti
to shorten the string here is one of mine.
http://www.landincorporated.com/Prev...6-367fa393e125
at http:// www.landincorporated.com

Why cannot it not be generated by asp to like
http://www.landincorporated.com/Prev...x?pID=81e23cf6. That is a
long enough variable to remove any chance repeat URL. Can me
developer change my code to shorten the generated URLs string to say
10 characters?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike Brind [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-17-2008

"treeguy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am not a developer but my site has long URL strings that have
> problem getting crawled. I understand Google now will crawl past the +
> but does not like the long strings. I tried URL rewrite and it did not
> work for me. Seem like there would be command in the asp to tell ti
> to shorten the string here is one of mine.
> http://www.landincorporated.com/Prev...6-367fa393e125
> at http:// www.landincorporated.com
>
> Why cannot it not be generated by asp to like
> http://www.landincorporated.com/Prev...x?pID=81e23cf6. That is a
> long enough variable to remove any chance repeat URL. Can me
> developer change my code to shorten the generated URLs string to say
> 10 characters?


ASP has nothing to do with your site. It's written in ASP.NET which is
totally different (although there was no way for you to know that). The
string of letters and numbers in your URL is a reference code to individual
items in the database. That was set by the original developers, and can
probably only be changed by them. However, I suspect that the real problem
behind your lack of success in getting indexed is the fact that search
engines can't peform searches - which is the only real way to access
property details on your site. And even if they could search, the
developers have used the default paging that comes with the control in which
the properties are listed in search results pages. It generates paging
links in clientside javascript which search engine bots can't activate, so
they don't follow the links. Again, that's something that the developers
need to address on your behalf. You may also want to consider investing in
the services of a Search Engine Marketing company. You already have the
benefit of the extent of my kowledge on these things.

Google (as far as I know) has no problem with long strings in urls. It
prefers not to bother with multiple parameters in querystrings, but you only
have one in yours: pID.

--
Mike Brind
MVP - ASP/ASP.NET


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
treeguy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2008
On Jul 17, 5:32*pm, "Mike Brind [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "treeguy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> >I am not a developer but my site has long URL strings that have
> > problem getting crawled. I understand Google now will crawl past the +
> > but does not like the long strings. I tried URL rewrite and it did not
> > work for me. Seem *like there would be command in the asp to tell ti
> > to shorten the string here is one of mine.
> >http://www.landincorporated.com/Prev...f6-0303-40a7-b....
> > at http://www.landincorporated.com

>
> > Why cannot it not be *generated by asp to like
> >http://www.landincorporated.com/Prev...x?pID=81e23cf6. That is a
> > long enough *variable to remove any chance repeat URL. Can me
> > developer change my code to shorten the generated URLs string to say
> > 10 characters?

>
> ASP has nothing to do with your site. *It's written in ASP.NET which is
> totally different (although there was no way for you to know that). *The
> string of letters and numbers in your URL is a reference code to individual
> items in the database. *That was set by the original developers, and can
> probably only be changed by them. *However, I suspect that the real problem
> behind your lack of success in getting indexed is the fact that search
> engines can't peform searches - which is the only real way to access
> property details on your site. *And even if they could search, the
> developers have used the default paging that comes with the control in which
> the properties are listed in search results pages. *It generates paging
> links in clientside javascript which search engine bots can't activate, so
> they don't follow the links. *Again, that's something that the developers
> need to address on your behalf. *You may also want to consider investing in
> the services of a Search Engine Marketing company. *You already have the
> benefit of the extent of my kowledge on these things.
>
> Google (as far as I know) has no problem with long strings in urls. *It
> prefers not to bother with multiple parameters in querystrings, but you only
> have one in yours: pID.
>
> --
> Mike Brind
> MVP - ASP/ASP.NET


OK, thanks for your knowledge. Actually my site is doing very well on
its main page being indexed. Try " search land to buy" in Google and
we are number 1 and other phrases too. Tthe problem is getting the
generated property pages indexed. I have 500 now and some day will
have thousands. I guess I will look into SEO but not sure what they
can do either. I was thinking the problem was the ? and the =
characters and did not know its pID. The odd thing is I can take one
of these urls and I have done about 50of them and manually submit
them to Google to crawl and I cannot see that do it at all. Why would
manual submit not work for Google to index as it is a url and no need
for spiderto locate it in the site with the search tools which it
cannot do as you said ?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Brind [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2008

"treeguy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Jul 17, 5:32 pm, "Mike Brind [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> OK, thanks for your knowledge. Actually my site is doing very well on
> its main page being indexed. Try " search land to buy" in Google and
> we are number 1 and other phrases too. Tthe problem is getting the
> generated property pages indexed. I have 500 now and some day will
> have thousands. I guess I will look into SEO but not sure what they
> can do either. I was thinking the problem was the ? and the =
> characters and did not know its pID. The odd thing is I can take one
> of these urls and I have done about 50of them and manually submit
> them to Google to crawl and I cannot see that do it at all. Why would
> manual submit not work for Google to index as it is a url and no need
> for spiderto locate it in the site with the search tools which it
> cannot do as you said ?


I'm not an SEO expert by any means, as I already said, and SEO is miles away
from the topic of this group. That's why I suggested you talk to someone
who knows about these things. All I can tell you is that Google will
happily index urls containing querystrings (which is the stuff after ?=).
Try searching for "Classic ASP Ajax", and you will see that the first result
is one of my pages, with a querystring in the url. Beyond that, I don't
really have anything useful to add.

--
Mike Brind
MVP - ASP/ASP.NET


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strings, Strings and Damned Strings Ben C Programming 14 06-24-2006 05:09 AM
info, way to shorten names in menu? Splibbilla Firefox 3 12-24-2005 08:40 AM
How can I shorten this time? =?Utf-8?B?V2ViIFJlc3BvbnNlIFRpbWU=?= ASP .Net 1 10-28-2004 01:13 PM
Shorten a SQL VarChar result. Kenneth Keeley ASP .Net 1 10-28-2004 12:19 AM
List menu too long. Any way to shorten it? Crispy HTML 3 07-12-2003 12:07 AM



Advertisments