Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > save a flat export data file as an excel file

save a flat export data file as an excel file

c676228

Hi all,

I have a question for you.

I have a .csv file which has many lines of data.
Each line has many data fields which are delimited by ",".
Now I need to extract part of data from this file but save it as an excel
file.

The data in this excel file will be imported into an Access database. The
reason I have to save it into an excel file is Access program only accept
excel data file, but not flat text file.

Can you tell me how to save extracted data into an excel file?

Thanks.
--
Betty

Old Pedant

Why go to the trouble of converting CSV to Excel and then Excel to Access????

Why not just use ASP to go directly from CSV to Access???

<%
Set csvconn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
csvconn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
"Data Source=c:\path\to\DIRECTORY\only\;" & _
"Extended Properties=""text;HDR=Yes;FMT=Delimited"""

Set dbconn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
dbconn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
"Data Source=c:\path\to\yourAccessDatabase.mdb;"

SQL = "SELECT * FROM nameOfFile.csv"
Set inRS = csvconn.Execute( SQL )

Set outRS = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
outRS.Open "TableName", dbconn, adOpenStatic, adLockPessimistic

Do Until inRS.EOF
outRS.AddNew
outRS("field1") = inRS("fieldA")
outRS("field2") = inRS("fieldB")
... etc ...
outRS.Update
inRS.MoveNext
Loop
outRS.Close
inRS.Close
dbConn.Close
csvConn.Close
%>

THere are actually some even more efficient ways to do this, but without
know more of your details I'm hesitant to choose one. The above is simple
minded enough it should work so long as your CSV file doesn't have any quirks.

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Betty,

From your description, you have an existing CSV file and you want to
extract some part of the CSV file out and export them into excel file,
correct?

Are you wantting to do it programmtically or just want to do such an
transformation and not necessary to use code? Based on my experience,

#SQL Server 2005 ĘC Integration Services

#How to import an Excel file into SQL Server 2005 using Integration Services
http://www.builderau.com.au/program/...t-an-Excel-fil
e-into-SQL-Server-2005-using-Integration-Services/0,339028455,339285948,00.h
tm

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1202

If this need to be done programmtically, a common approach is read the csv
file via OLD db provider(jet engine) and access the data like a database
table. However, I think it maybe a bit hard to export it exactly as excel
format, btw, excel can directly convert csv format, will it work for your
case.

#How To Open Delimited Text Files Using the Jet Provider's Text IIsam
http://support.microsoft.com/default...microsoft.com:
80/support/kb/articles/Q262/5/37.ASP&NoWebContent=1&NoWebContent=1

#Using OleDb to import text files (tab, csv, custom)
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/UsingJetForImport.aspx

Also, are you going to do this converting in ASP web page? If not, for
normal desktop applicatin, we can use excel automation object model to
create excel worksheet:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302096

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302094

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

--------------------
>From: =?Utf-8?B?YzY3NjIyOA==?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: save a flat export data file as an excel file
>Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 20:24:01 -0700

>Hi all,
>
>I have a question for you.
>
>I have a .csv file which has many lines of data.
>Each line has many data fields which are delimited by ",".
>Now I need to extract part of data from this file but save it as an excel
>file.
>
>The data in this excel file will be imported into an Access database. The
>reason I have to save it into an excel file is Access program only accept
>excel data file, but not flat text file.
>
>Can you tell me how to save extracted data into an excel file?
>
>Thanks.
>--
>Betty

Mike Brind [MVP]

"Old Pedant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why go to the trouble of converting CSV to Excel and then Excel to
> Access????
>
> Why not just use ASP to go directly from CSV to Access???
>
> <%
> Set csvconn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
> csvconn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
> "Data Source=c:\path\to\DIRECTORY\only\;" & _
> "Extended Properties=""text;HDR=Yes;FMT=Delimited"""
>
> Set dbconn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
> dbconn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
> "Data Source=c:\path\to\yourAccessDatabase.mdb;"
>
> SQL = "SELECT * FROM nameOfFile.csv"
> Set inRS = csvconn.Execute( SQL )
>
> Set outRS = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
> outRS.Open "TableName", dbconn, adOpenStatic, adLockPessimistic
>
> Do Until inRS.EOF
> outRS.AddNew
> outRS("field1") = inRS("fieldA")
> outRS("field2") = inRS("fieldB")
> ... etc ...
> outRS.Update
> inRS.MoveNext
> Loop
> outRS.Close
> inRS.Close
> dbConn.Close
> csvConn.Close
> %>
>
> THere are actually some even more efficient ways to do this, but without
> know more of your details I'm hesitant to choose one. The above is simple
> minded enough it should work so long as your CSV file doesn't have any
> quirks.

Yep. Much more efficient is to simpy set up a connection to the Access
database, and then use a SQL statement like this:

INSERT INTO AccessTable (Field1, Field2, ...Fieldn) SELECT Col1, Col2,
....Coln FROM [Text;DATABASE=" & path_to_file & ";].[myfile.csv]

More info here: http://www.mikesdotnetting.com/Artic...x?ArticleID=67
(it's .NET - but the SQL etc is identical for classic ASP).

--
Mike Brind
MVP - ASP/ASP.NET