Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Uploading Large Files

Uploading Large Files

Dan

I'm using a pure ASP upload script to handle file uploading. We run IIS6 and
I'm aware of the AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed variable in the metabase. I upped
this to allow the file size maximum and it was working for the past couple
months. Now all of a sudden in the past couple of days we are seeming to have
problems.

The upload works fine for anything up to around 2mb (or so it seems).

When uploading about 20mb worth (10x2mb files), I get the following error
(thrown from firefox). I tried changing Response.Expires,
Server.ScriptTimeout, and the connection timeout setting for the website in
IIS.

Connection Interrupted
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try
again.

When uploading about 2-10mb worth of files, I get an error thrown by ASP.
The error typically just means that AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed needs to be
increased, but since I've already increased it as high as it can go, I'm
really confused.

Request object error 'ASP 0101 : 80004005'
Unexpected error
/scripts/update/ShadowUploader.asp, line 58
The function returned |.

Line 58: strBinData = Request.BinaryRead(iBytesCount)

Dan

My thoughts exactly. I didn't necessarily say it was something in the code I
needed to fix. I'm looking for suggestions on anything that could be wrong.

Dan

I've already read that article, and many others I searched for off of Google.
I only ask for help when I can't already find it somewhere else.

I'm not using a component - this is a pure ASP file upload.

"Jon Paal [MSMD]" wrote:

> http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general...01-errors.html
>

> "Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My thoughts exactly. I didn't necessarily say it was something in the code I
> > needed to fix. I'm looking for suggestions on anything that could be wrong.

Dan

I'm pretty well sure it's anything above ~6mb, which is just an odd figure,
since I have no limits set.

"Jon Paal [MSMD]" wrote:

> since the error message is coming from the request object, you're going to have to some debugging by testing uploads of different
> types and sizes to better isolate and establish a repeatable cause of the error source.
>
> Your previous testing of 2-10mb file sizes is a wide range, if the error is not consistently happening above one size perhaps it is
> the type. otherwsie youi're faced with chasing the problem outside of ASP which is dependent on iis, memory etc.
>

> "Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I've already read that article, and many others I searched for off of Google.
> > I only ask for help when I can't already find it somewhere else.
> >
> > I'm not using a component - this is a pure ASP file upload.
> >
> > "Jon Paal [MSMD]" wrote:
> >
> >> http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general...01-errors.html

Dan

I'm using a pure ASP upload script. I've tried 3 other ones, all get the
same error. I also just used a third party upload component and got the same
error. I may look into ASP.NET, but only as a last resort. There must be a
solution to this, since it was working before :\

Thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot with me though.

"Jon Paal [MSMD]" wrote:

> you may also want to try another component. if another works then you have a solution.
>
> personally, for uploads and especially when they get large, I fall back to ASP.net because uploading is one of the few things
> classic ASP just can't offer well by itself. Another option is a third party, registered component, which is a good alternative as
> most webhosts have these freely available.

Anthony Jones

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm using a pure ASP upload script to handle file uploading. We run IIS6

and
> I'm aware of the AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed variable in the metabase. I

upped
> this to allow the file size maximum and it was working for the past couple
> months. Now all of a sudden in the past couple of days we are seeming to

have
> problems.
>
> The upload works fine for anything up to around 2mb (or so it seems).
>
> When uploading about 20mb worth (10x2mb files), I get the following error
> (thrown from firefox). I tried changing Response.Expires,
> Server.ScriptTimeout, and the connection timeout setting for the website

in
> IIS.
>
> Connection Interrupted
> The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
> The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please

try
> again.
>
> When uploading about 2-10mb worth of files, I get an error thrown by ASP.
> The error typically just means that AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed needs to be
> increased, but since I've already increased it as high as it can go, I'm
> really confused.
>
> Request object error 'ASP 0101 : 80004005'
> Unexpected error
> /scripts/update/ShadowUploader.asp, line 58
> The function returned |.
>
> Line 58: strBinData = Request.BinaryRead(iBytesCount)

My guess is that iBytesCount is not a chunk size but the total size right.
IOW, you are not chunking the data in but trying to read the whole lot in a
single buffer. OR am I wrong?

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

Dave Anderson

Dan wrote:
> When uploading about 20mb worth (10x2mb files), I get the following
> error (thrown from firefox). I tried changing Response.Expires,
> Server.ScriptTimeout, and the connection timeout setting for the
> website in IIS.

Is Firefox the only affected browser?

> Connection Interrupted
> The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
> The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection.
> Please try again.
>
> When uploading about 2-10mb worth of files, I get an error thrown by
> ASP. The error typically just means that AspMaxRequestEntityAllowed
> needs to be increased, but since I've already increased it as high as
> it can go, I'm really confused.

Is there any chance this server is behind a proxy (reverse or otherwise)?
Can you duplicate this behavior on the server itself (by logging into the
server and using the web client on the machine to upload a large file)?

--
Dave Anderson