Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Re: shortcut url's and asp.net

Re: shortcut url's and asp.net

Phil Winstanley [Microsoft MVP ASP.NET]

Hans,

Right okay, so you want to create a system like http://tinyurl.com but
for internal usage?

Hth,
Phil Winstanley
Microsoft ASP.NET MVP
http://www.myservicescentral.com

Hans Kesting

"Phil Winstanley [Microsoft MVP ASP.NET]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:cak1jv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hans,
>
> Right okay, so you want to create a system like http://tinyurl.com but
> for internal usage?
>
> Hth,
> Phil Winstanley
> Microsoft ASP.NET MVP
> http://www.myservicescentral.com

I think that's about it, yes.
Is that possible *within* asp.net or do I need to write IIS plugins (or whatever)?

Hans Kesting

Hans Kesting

"Hans Kesting" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Phil Winstanley [Microsoft MVP ASP.NET]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:cak1jv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hans,
> >
> > Right okay, so you want to create a system like http://tinyurl.com but
> > for internal usage?
> >
> > Hth,
> > Phil Winstanley
> > Microsoft ASP.NET MVP
> > http://www.myservicescentral.com
> >

> I think that's about it, yes.
> Is that possible *within* asp.net or do I need to write IIS plugins (or whatever)?
>
> Hans Kesting

To clarify (again )

I *do* know how to store and retrieve data, I *can* redirect the visitor
to somewhere else. What I do *not* know is how to detect that the
visitor used a non-existent directory (and directory *only*, no "whatever.aspx" added)
so I can retrieve the correct link based on the directory used.

Is it possible to configure the asp.net application to catch these directories?
Can an HttpHandler intercept it?
Or do I need to configure IIS to redirect 404 messages to my own "redirect.aspx"
page (a possible solution that just now came to mind)?

Hans Kesting

John Saunders

"Hans Kesting" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u5%(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Hans Kesting" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > "Phil Winstanley [Microsoft MVP ASP.NET]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

in message news:cak1jv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hans,
> > >
> > > Right okay, so you want to create a system like http://tinyurl.com but
> > > for internal usage?
> > >
> > > Hth,
> > > Phil Winstanley
> > > Microsoft ASP.NET MVP
> > > http://www.myservicescentral.com
> > >

> > I think that's about it, yes.
> > Is that possible *within* asp.net or do I need to write IIS plugins (or

whatever)?

> > Hans Kesting
> >

> To clarify (again )
>
> I *do* know how to store and retrieve data, I *can* redirect the visitor
> to somewhere else. What I do *not* know is how to detect that the
> visitor used a non-existent directory (and directory *only*, no

"whatever.aspx" added)
> so I can retrieve the correct link based on the directory used.
>
> Is it possible to configure the asp.net application to catch these

directories?
> Can an HttpHandler intercept it?
> Or do I need to configure IIS to redirect 404 messages to my own

"redirect.aspx"
> page (a possible solution that just now came to mind)?

I don't think you can do this. You want to handle "directory" requests. It
turns out that there are no such things as far as ASP.NET is concerned. What
happens on a "directory" request is that IIS looks through its list of
default documents until it finds one within the specified directory. Since
you want to use non-existent directories, you're out of luck.

Maybe you could use a custom 404 page - just make it 404.aspx or something.
I don't know if IIS sends enough information to that page for you to be able
to determine what the original request was.
--
John Saunders
johnwsaundersiii at hotmail

Hans Kesting

"John Saunders" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Hans Kesting" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:u5%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Hans Kesting" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > "Phil Winstanley [Microsoft MVP ASP.NET]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> in message news:cak1jv$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > > I think that's about it, yes.
> > > Is that possible *within* asp.net or do I need to write IIS plugins (or

> whatever)?
> > >
> > > Hans Kesting
> > >

> > To clarify (again )
> >
> > I *do* know how to store and retrieve data, I *can* redirect the visitor
> > to somewhere else. What I do *not* know is how to detect that the
> > visitor used a non-existent directory (and directory *only*, no

> "whatever.aspx" added)
> > so I can retrieve the correct link based on the directory used.
> >
> > Is it possible to configure the asp.net application to catch these

> directories?
> > Can an HttpHandler intercept it?
> > Or do I need to configure IIS to redirect 404 messages to my own

> "redirect.aspx"
> > page (a possible solution that just now came to mind)?

> I don't think you can do this. You want to handle "directory" requests. It
> turns out that there are no such things as far as ASP.NET is concerned. What
> happens on a "directory" request is that IIS looks through its list of
> default documents until it finds one within the specified directory. Since
> you want to use non-existent directories, you're out of luck.

I though so, I just hoped there was a way around it.

> Maybe you could use a custom 404 page - just make it 404.aspx or something.
> I don't know if IIS sends enough information to that page for you to be able
> to determine what the original request was.

That's what I finally came up with, haven't tried it yet though.

> --
> John Saunders
> johnwsaundersiii at hotmail

Thanks,