Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Automatic form field update based on previous form value selection

Automatic form field update based on previous form value selection

Brett_A

I have a form where the first field is a dynamic drop-down that pulls
from a db (Access). The fields associated with the query are task_id,
task_name and task_rate. The field has the value of "task_id" and the
label of "task_name".

In the second form field, I would like the default value to be
determined by the selection made in the first field. Based on the
selection of the first form field, I would like the default value of
the this field (task_rate) to be populated with the associated
task_rate value of the selection chosen above.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Brett

Evertjan.

Brett_A wrote on 18 apr 2008 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

> I have a form where the first field is a dynamic drop-down that pulls
> from a db (Access). The fields associated with the query are task_id,
> task_name and task_rate. The field has the value of "task_id" and the
> label of "task_name".
>
> In the second form field, I would like the default value to be
> determined by the selection made in the first field. Based on the
> selection of the first form field, I would like the default value of
> the this field (task_rate) to be populated with the associated
> task_rate value of the selection chosen above.
>
> Any suggestions?

If this is a serverside code problem, show your code,
if it is clientside code or a html Q, ask elsewhere.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Brett_A

On Apr 18, 12:59 pm, "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Brett_A wrote on 18 apr 2008 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
>
> > I have a form where the first field is a dynamic drop-down that pulls
> > from a db (Access). The fields associated with the query are task_id,
> > task_name and task_rate. The field has the value of "task_id" and the
> > label of "task_name".

> > In the second form field, I would like the default value to be
> > determined by the selection made in the first field. Based on the
> > selection of the first form field, I would like the default value of
> > the this field (task_rate) to be populated with the associated
> > task_rate value of the selection chosen above.

> > Any suggestions?

> If this is a serverside code problem, show your code,
> if it is clientside code or a html Q, ask elsewhere.
>
> --
> Evertjan.
> The Netherlands.

Are for frik'n real Evertjan?

This is an ASP forum, I'm asking an ASP question.

I don't have the code because I need some direction on how to write
the code. Did you read my question? Do you understand my question?
Did I say I already have code that isn't working?

I explain what I want and ask for suggestions. If my question isn't
clear, than I need to fix it.

Thanks

Brett

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Brett_A wrote:
> I have a form where the first field is a dynamic drop-down that pulls
> from a db (Access). The fields associated with the query are task_id,
> task_name and task_rate. The field has the value of "task_id" and the
> label of "task_name".
>
> In the second form field, I would like the default value to be
> determined by the selection made in the first field. Based on the
> selection of the first form field, I would like the default value of
> the this field (task_rate) to be populated with the associated
> task_rate value of the selection chosen above.

This is typically done in client-side code so it is more appropriately
asked in a client-side scripting group such as
microsoft.public.scripting.jscript
However, you can look here to get a head start and narrow your question
down to more specific issues:
http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/forms/h...n-another.html

While the client-side scripting is the major part of the solution, there
may be server-side asp issues as well that we will be happy to address
here.

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Evertjan.

Brett_A wrote on 18 apr 2008 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

> On Apr 18, 12:59 pm, "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Brett_A wrote on 18 apr 2008 in
>>
>> > I have a form where the first field is a dynamic drop-down that
>> > pulls from a db (Access). The fields associated with the query are
>> > task_id, task_name and task_rate. The field has the value of
>> > "task_id" and the label of "task_name".

>> > In the second form field, I would like the default value to be
>> > determined by the selection made in the first field. Based on the
>> > selection of the first form field, I would like the default value
>> > of the this field (task_rate) to be populated with the associated
>> > task_rate value of the selection chosen above.

>> > Any suggestions?

>> If this is a serverside code problem, show your code,
>> if it is clientside code or a html Q, ask elsewhere.

[please do not quote signatures on usenet]

> Are for frik'n real Evertjan?

Getting angry usually shows getting angry at yourself.
Don't, it does not help you.

> This is an ASP forum, I'm asking an ASP question.

How can we be sure, Bret?
Many a time Qs are asked in the wrong NG.
Your Q does not specify it as such.

> I don't have the code because I need some direction on how to write
> the code.

So?

> Did you read my question?

Yes

> Do you understand my question?

Not completely, it seems not directed at a serverside problem.
Could you specify the serverside Q?
It seeme you want dynamically changing formfields content.

> Did I say I already have code that isn't working?

Should you?

Yes you should.
This NG usually helps people that get stuck,
but usually does not write code for others out of the blue.

> I explain what I want and ask for suggestions. If my question isn't
> clear, than I need to fix it.

Help yourself.

you wrote:
>> > In the second form field, I would like the default value to be
>> > determined by the selection made in the first field. Based on the
>> > selection of the first form field, I would like the default value
>> > of the this field (task_rate) to be populated with the associated
>> > task_rate value of the selection chosen above.

Seems very clientside to me!
Classic ASP does not know of forms
nor of dynamically changing formfields.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Brett_A

On Apr 18, 4:28 pm, "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Brett_A wrote on 18 apr 2008 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
>

> > On Apr 18, 12:59 pm, "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >> Brett_A wrote on 18 apr 2008 in
> >> microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

> >> If this is a serverside code problem, show your code,
> >> if it is clientside code or a html Q, ask elsewhere.

> [please do not quote signatures on usenet]
>
> > Are for frik'n real Evertjan?

> Getting angry usually shows getting angry at yourself.
> Don't, it does not help you.
>
> > This is an ASP forum, I'm asking an ASP question.

> How can we be sure, Bret?
> Many a time Qs are asked in the wrong NG.
> Your Q does not specify it as such.
>
> > I don't have the code because I need some direction on how to write
> > the code.

> So?
>
> > Did you read my question?

> Yes
>
> > Do you understand my question?

> Not completely, it seems not directed at a serverside problem.
> Could you specify the serverside Q?
> It seeme you want dynamically changing formfields content.
>
> > Did I say I already have code that isn't working?

> Should you?
>
> Yes you should.
> This NG usually helps people that get stuck,
> but usually does not write code for others out of the blue.
>
> > I explain what I want and ask for suggestions. If my question isn't
> > clear, than I need to fix it.

> Help yourself.

> Seems very clientside to me!
> Classic ASP does not know of forms
> nor of dynamically changing formfields.
>
> --
> Evertjan.
> The Netherlands.

This is what you answered:

If this is a serverside code problem, show your code,
if it is clientside code or a html Q, ask elsewhere.

If you read my question, why would you ask if I had a code problem? I
hadn't gotten that fair in the development. After reading the other
answers and doing more research, it is partially client-side issue - I
think I need some AJAX to create the desired functionality. I was
asking the initial question to see where I should start - the last
sentence was "Any suggestions"? If you thought it was a client side
issue, why not answer like Bob did? It was informative without being
condescending.

Brett

Brett_A

On Apr 18, 3:26 pm, "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Brett_A wrote:
> > I have a form where the first field is a dynamic drop-down that pulls
> > from a db (Access). The fields associated with the query are task_id,
> > task_name and task_rate. The field has the value of "task_id" and the
> > label of "task_name".

> > In the second form field, I would like the default value to be
> > determined by the selection made in the first field. Based on the
> > selection of the first form field, I would like the default value of
> > the this field (task_rate) to be populated with the associated
> > task_rate value of the selection chosen above.

> This is typically done in client-side code so it is more appropriately
> asked in a client-side scripting group such as
> microsoft.public.scripting.jscript
> However, you can look here to get a head start and narrow your question
> down to more specific issues:http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/forms/h...opdown-depend-...
>
> While the client-side scripting is the major part of the solution, there
> may be server-side asp issues as well that we will be happy to address
> here.
>
> --
> Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

The first form field is a dynamically populated list. The second form
field is a text box, not another list. The value to populate the
second text box is a value that needs to be pulled from the database
determined by the value of the selected value from the first form
field. I don't want a page refresh which is what seems to happen if I
set it up as outlined in the samples suggested.Something has to happen
on the server side to retrieve that value before any onchange event
can update the second field with the proper value doesn't it? Is this
a place where I need to implement some AJAX?

Thanks

Brett

Evertjan.

Brett_A wrote on 19 apr 2008 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

>> Seems very clientside to me!
>> Classic ASP does not know of forms
>> nor of dynamically changing formfields.

Again: [please do not quote signatures on usenet]

> This is what you answered:
>
> If this is a serverside code problem, show your code,
> if it is clientside code or a html Q, ask elsewhere.

[wrong quoting level]

> If you read my question, why would you ask if I had a code problem?

Because that is the main subject of this NG,
and you did not include such problem.

> I hadn't gotten that fair in the development.

Ah, so you were just fishing? "that fair"? I think not sofar.

> After reading the other
> answers and doing more research, it is partially client-side issue - I
> think I need some AJAX to create the desired functionality.

Indeed. Ajax is in fact clientside coding technology,
as the requested html streamlayout from the server could be,
but not necessarily has to be,
prepared by serverside coding,
which coding even then is not part of AJAX technology as such.

> I was
> asking the initial question to see where I should start - the last
> sentence was "Any suggestions"? If you thought it was a client side
> issue, why not answer like Bob did? It was informative without being
> condescending.

So that is the bottom line:
You are asking and at the same time think
you have a right to determine how the response should be?

While it was not my intention to be condescending,
[you could be from the west side of the great pond,
where such sensitivities excessively abound,
as seen from the rest of cyberworld,]
it won't do to expect the absence of condescence on usenet.

> "Any suggestions"?

So again, show us the serverside problem, and do some initial work
yourself, and you have a good chance of getting help where you get stuck.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Brett_A wrote:
> On Apr 18, 3:26 pm, "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> The first form field is a dynamically populated list. The second form
> field is a text box, not another list. The value to populate the
> second text box is a value that needs to be pulled from the database
> determined by the value of the selected value from the first form
> field. I don't want a page refresh which is what seems to happen if I
> set it up as outlined in the samples suggested.Something has to happen
> on the server side to retrieve that value before any onchange event
> can update the second field with the proper value doesn't it?

Right. it sounds as if you know how to accomplish the server-side aspect of
this problem.

> Is this
> a place where I need to implement some AJAX?

If you don't want to submit the form to get the new value, then yes, AJAX,
or something like that will be required. The client-side scripting group is
the place to get help with that.

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"