Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > some users cannot open asp page or see some images on the intranet

some users cannot open asp page or see some images on the intranet

c676228

Hi all,

I have a very strange question. I myself cannot even make any sense from it.

We are migrating our site from one hosting company to another. In between we
have an intranet testing server so we can migrate to this testing server
before making final move.

The strange thing is a couple of internal users have some problems to open
some ASP page while others don't have problem at all. A user cannot see an
image file on a page while other users can see all the images. I am wondering
is there anything to do with access permission? I don't have any idea what's
going on since the pages just sit on the server without any changes when
users are testing.
These pages are public pages, no password protection at all, all users as
testers should have same set up. Do you think I have to check with our
network manager?
what questions I should ask? I don't have any idea.
--
Betty

Steven Cheng

Hi Betty,

From your description, you have some ASP pages on a internal test server
for testing. You found that some internal users will encounter problems see
a certain image on the asp page(while some others can always see the
image), correct?

Based on my understanding, the problem could be caused by the following
things;

** some network related issue (machine specific)

** access permission issue, (user account specific)

is the image(that can not display) also a local image file put together
with ASP pages or an external image? If an external image, you may also
consider some proxy related causes. For permission issue, you can check the
server-side IIS log to see whether there is access error entry in the log
of the certain site of the ASP pages(if the image is a local resource on
the IIS server). You can also use some trace utility(such as the web
development helper ) to lookup the http resposne message to see whether
server-side return any access denied error for the image request.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

--------------------
>From: =?Utf-8?B?YzY3NjIyOA==?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: some users cannot open asp page or see some images on the intranet
>Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 21:41:02 -0700

>Hi all,
>
>I have a very strange question. I myself cannot even make any sense from

it.

>We are migrating our site from one hosting company to another. In between

we
>have an intranet testing server so we can migrate to this testing server
>before making final move.
>
>The strange thing is a couple of internal users have some problems to open
>some ASP page while others don't have problem at all. A user cannot see an
>image file on a page while other users can see all the images. I am

wondering
>is there anything to do with access permission? I don't have any idea

what's
>going on since the pages just sit on the server without any changes when
>users are testing.
>These pages are public pages, no password protection at all, all users as
>testers should have same set up. Do you think I have to check with our
>network manager?
>what questions I should ask? I don't have any idea.
>--
>Betty

c676228

Hi Steven,
I will try your suggestion.
But how come one of our users have a problem to open only one specific ASP
page, but not the other ASP pages. I cannot have a reasonable explanation at
all.

thanks.
--
Betty

""Steven Cheng"" wrote:

> Hi Betty,
>
> From your description, you have some ASP pages on a internal test server
> for testing. You found that some internal users will encounter problems see
> a certain image on the asp page(while some others can always see the
> image), correct?
>
> Based on my understanding, the problem could be caused by the following
> things;
>
> ** some network related issue (machine specific)
>
> ** access permission issue, (user account specific)
>
> is the image(that can not display) also a local image file put together
> with ASP pages or an external image? If an external image, you may also
> consider some proxy related causes. For permission issue, you can check the
> server-side IIS log to see whether there is access error entry in the log
> of the certain site of the ASP pages(if the image is a local resource on
> the IIS server). You can also use some trace utility(such as the web
> development helper ) to lookup the http resposne message to see whether
> server-side return any access denied error for the image request.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Steven Cheng
>
> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

> (E-Mail Removed).

> ications.

> --------------------
> >From: =?Utf-8?B?YzY3NjIyOA==?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >Subject: some users cannot open asp page or see some images on the intranet
> >Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 21:41:02 -0700

> >Hi all,
> >
> >I have a very strange question. I myself cannot even make any sense from

> it.
> >
> >We are migrating our site from one hosting company to another. In between

> we
> >have an intranet testing server so we can migrate to this testing server
> >before making final move.
> >
> >The strange thing is a couple of internal users have some problems to open
> >some ASP page while others don't have problem at all. A user cannot see an
> >image file on a page while other users can see all the images. I am

> wondering
> >is there anything to do with access permission? I don't have any idea

> what's
> >going on since the pages just sit on the server without any changes when
> >users are testing.
> >These pages are public pages, no password protection at all, all users as
> >testers should have same set up. Do you think I have to check with our
> >network manager?
> >what questions I should ask? I don't have any idea.
> >--
> >Betty

Steven Cheng

Thanks for your reply reply.

That does be a bit hard to explain from appearnce, but since the problem is
definitely reproable, it would be easier to concentrate on that particular
page and test by changing the other factors. We'll need to locate the
problem by isolating more things.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(E-Mail Removed).

--------------------
>From: =?Utf-8?B?YzY3NjIyOA==?= <(E-Mail Removed)>

<RlzQOA#(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: RE: some users cannot open asp page or see some images on the intr
>Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 21:19:02 -0700

>Hi Steven,
>I will try your suggestion.
>But how come one of our users have a problem to open only one specific ASP
>page, but not the other ASP pages. I cannot have a reasonable explanation

at
>all.
>
>thanks.
>--
>Betty
>

>""Steven Cheng"" wrote:
>
>> Hi Betty,
>>
>> From your description, you have some ASP pages on a internal test server
>> for testing. You found that some internal users will encounter problems

see
>> a certain image on the asp page(while some others can always see the
>> image), correct?
>>
>> Based on my understanding, the problem could be caused by the following
>> things;
>>
>> ** some network related issue (machine specific)
>>
>> ** access permission issue, (user account specific)
>>
>> is the image(that can not display) also a local image file put together
>> with ASP pages or an external image? If an external image, you may also
>> consider some proxy related causes. For permission issue, you can check

the
>> server-side IIS log to see whether there is access error entry in the

log
>> of the certain site of the ASP pages(if the image is a local resource on
>> the IIS server). You can also use some trace utility(such as the web
>> development helper ) to lookup the http resposne message to see whether
>> server-side return any access denied error for the image request.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Steven Cheng
>>
>> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead
>>

>> Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your comments

and

Please
>> (E-Mail Removed).

>> ications.

issues

follow
>> professional working with you may need further investigation to reach

the
>> most efficient resolution. The offering is not appropriate for

situations
>> project analysis and dump analysis issues. Issues of this nature are

best
>> handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by

contacting
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscripti...t/default.aspx.

rights.

>> --------------------
>> >From: =?Utf-8?B?YzY3NjIyOA==?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> >Subject: some users cannot open asp page or see some images on the

intranet
>> >Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 21:41:02 -0700

>> >Hi all,
>> >
>> >I have a very strange question. I myself cannot even make any sense

from
>> it.
>> >
>> >We are migrating our site from one hosting company to another. In

between
>> we
>> >have an intranet testing server so we can migrate to this testing

server
>> >before making final move.
>> >
>> >The strange thing is a couple of internal users have some problems to

open
>> >some ASP page while others don't have problem at all. A user cannot see

an
>> >image file on a page while other users can see all the images. I am

>> wondering
>> >is there anything to do with access permission? I don't have any idea

>> what's
>> >going on since the pages just sit on the server without any changes

when
>> >users are testing.
>> >These pages are public pages, no password protection at all, all users

as
>> >testers should have same set up. Do you think I have to check with our
>> >network manager?
>> >what questions I should ask? I don't have any idea.
>> >--
>> >Betty

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed =?Utf-8?B?YzY3NjIyOA==?=
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi all,
>
> I have a very strange question. I myself cannot even make any sense
> from it.
>
> We are migrating our site from one hosting company to another. In
> between we have an intranet testing server so we can migrate to this
> testing server before making final move.
>
> The strange thing is a couple of internal users have some problems to
> open some ASP page while others don't have problem at all. A user
> cannot see an image file on a page while other users can see all the
> images. I am wondering is there anything to do with access permission?
> I don't have any idea what's going on since the pages just sit on the
> server without any changes when users are testing.
> These pages are public pages, no password protection at all, all users
> as testers should have same set up. Do you think I have to check with
> our network manager?
> what questions I should ask? I don't have any idea.

Is everyone using the same browser? Does anyone have their browser set
up differently than others? Anyone with different firewall settings?
Does the rendered HTML validate (or at least has only minor errors)?

Some browsers correct for grossly invalid markup, eg \images\myimage.jpg
which should be images/myimage.jpg . IIRC, IE will correct this, but FF
will not.

Some browsers have add ons which disable some images if they are a
certain size that might be that of an advert. Same thing with some
software firewalls.

Also check hosts file. If there are third party images, and the third
party server is on the "deny" list, those images won't show.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services