Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > CDOSYS executes but takes TOO TOO long?

CDOSYS executes but takes TOO TOO long?

JVRudnick

Hey all...
running w2k3/iis6 and trying to shorten the length of time that a simple 10
field ASP form takes to execute using CDOSYS. it takes about 50 seconds each
time...and I've no idea why?

any pointers here lads? on other servers the exact same script does it's job
in 3 seconds...but not this one?

???

Jim

Anthony Jones

"JVRudnick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey all...
> running w2k3/iis6 and trying to shorten the length of time that a simple

10
> field ASP form takes to execute using CDOSYS. it takes about 50 seconds

each
> time...and I've no idea why?
>
> any pointers here lads? on other servers the exact same script does it's

job
> in 3 seconds...but not this one?

It might be worth you confirming which part of your script is taking most of
the time but its going to be the send. It will be some configuration
problem that is causing something like DNS lookups or user authentication to
take a long time.

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

JVRudnick

First thanks guys. Next, its on my own ded server so that makes me the
SysAdmin I suppose. Next, I do not know any manner to test "which" part of
the script is taking the time. Mailogs show it's in the outbound queue for
seconds, so I doubt that the problem is with MainEnablePro. It must be IMHO,
the script itself, yet as I said it runs in 3 secs on other servers. Hmmm,
maybe it's the library I'm using as it's still the w2k one... ie

METADATA
TYPE="typelib"
UUID="CD000000-8B95-11D1-82DB-00C04FB1625D"
NAME="CDO for Windows 2000 Library"

Anyone know, is there a more recent one for w2k3? Might that be "it" problem
wise?

Jim

Anthony Jones

"JVRudnick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> First thanks guys. Next, its on my own ded server so that makes me the
> SysAdmin I suppose. Next, I do not know any manner to test "which" part of
> the script is taking the time.

Here is a noddy example.

Dim sPath
Dim oStream

sPath = Server.MapPath("/myLogs/" & Session.SessionID & ".log")
Dim fso : Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Dim oStream: Set oStream = fso.OpenTextFile(sPath, 8, True)

oStream.WriteLine "Script Started: " & Now

'Code building message in oMsg

oStream.WriteLine "Entering Send: " & Now

oMsg.Send

oStream.WriteLine "Exited Send:" & Now

oStream.Close

>Mailogs show it's in the outbound queue for
> seconds, so I doubt that the problem is with MainEnablePro. It must be

IMHO,

> the script itself, yet as I said it runs in 3 secs on other servers. Hmmm,
> maybe it's the library I'm using as it's still the w2k one... ie
>
> METADATA
> TYPE="typelib"
> UUID="CD000000-8B95-11D1-82DB-00C04FB1625D"
> NAME="CDO for Windows 2000 Library"
>
> Anyone know, is there a more recent one for w2k3? Might that be "it"

problem
> wise?

I doubt it. The GUID is the same on XP and 2003. Its the same component.

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

JVRudnick

Do you mean, Anthony, that I should just cut and paste that script into a new
..asp page, run it on the server in the domain root folder and then see what
happens?

ie is that how I'd get a report on same?

Jim

"Anthony Jones" wrote:

> "JVRudnick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > First thanks guys. Next, its on my own ded server so that makes me the
> > SysAdmin I suppose. Next, I do not know any manner to test "which" part of
> > the script is taking the time.

> Here is a noddy example.
>
> Dim sPath
> Dim oStream
>
> sPath = Server.MapPath("/myLogs/" & Session.SessionID & ".log")
> Dim fso : Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
> Dim oStream: Set oStream = fso.OpenTextFile(sPath, 8, True)
>
> oStream.WriteLine "Script Started: " & Now
>
> 'Code building message in oMsg
>
> oStream.WriteLine "Entering Send: " & Now
>
> oMsg.Send
>
> oStream.WriteLine "Exited Send:" & Now
>
> oStream.Close
>

> >Mailogs show it's in the outbound queue for
> > seconds, so I doubt that the problem is with MainEnablePro. It must be

> IMHO,
>
> > the script itself, yet as I said it runs in 3 secs on other servers. Hmmm,
> > maybe it's the library I'm using as it's still the w2k one... ie
> >
> > METADATA
> > TYPE="typelib"
> > UUID="CD000000-8B95-11D1-82DB-00C04FB1625D"
> > NAME="CDO for Windows 2000 Library"
> >
> > Anyone know, is there a more recent one for w2k3? Might that be "it"

> problem
> > wise?
> >

> I doubt it. The GUID is the same on XP and 2003. Its the same component.
>
> --
> Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

JVRudnick

Hmm....got that script up and running ok - but it seems to choke? I properly
put all where the items belong, but when the script hits the oMail.SEND line,
it chokes (my var is oMail for this page btw)?

The logs quite properly show the Script Started and Entering Send lines and
times...but as the script then errors out with nothing more than a 2 line
error --

error '8004020f'
/sendForm.asp, line 135

-- I'm lost. Have no exp using this method to write a timing handler....

Can you offer why the simple addition of this item makes the SEND function
quit before it even starts?

Jim

JVRudnick

Ignore what's above....sorry, just can't type today!

Here's the log --

Script Started: 2/24/2008 3:24:42 PM
Entering Send: 2/24/2008 3:24:42 PM
Exited Send:2/24/2008 3:25:15 PM

As you can see, the SEND function worked in less than a second.

So why those extra 48 seconds (as it averages about 50 in total) ???

Jim

"JVRudnick" wrote:

> Hmm....got that script up and running ok - but it seems to choke? I properly
> put all where the items belong, but when the script hits the oMail.SEND line,
> it chokes (my var is oMail for this page btw)?
>
> The logs quite properly show the Script Started and Entering Send lines and
> times...but as the script then errors out with nothing more than a 2 line
> error --
>
> error '8004020f'
> /sendForm.asp, line 135
>
> -- I'm lost. Have no exp using this method to write a timing handler....
>
> Can you offer why the simple addition of this item makes the SEND function
> quit before it even starts?
>
> Jim

Anthony Jones

"JVRudnick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ignore what's above....sorry, just can't type today!
>
> Here's the log --
>
> Script Started: 2/24/2008 3:24:42 PM
> Entering Send: 2/24/2008 3:24:42 PM
> Exited Send:2/24/2008 3:25:15 PM
>
> As you can see, the SEND function worked in less than a second.
>
> So why those extra 48 seconds (as it averages about 50 in total) ???

Is that how you read it? What I see is the send function alone taking 33
seconds to complete. You have placed the "Entrying send" and "Exiting send"
log lines directly adjacent either side of the call to send, right?

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

JVRudnick

good gosh...you're absolutely right! I not only couldn't type yesterday, but
obviously couldn't read a log either!

that mea culpa stated....I agree. 33 seconds is the time it too, and yes the
lines are properly placed around the oMail.SEND line too.

So...why? that's what's got me stumped!

3 seconds on one server and 33 on the other.....

?

Jim

"Anthony Jones" wrote:

> "JVRudnick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Ignore what's above....sorry, just can't type today!
> >
> > Here's the log --
> >
> > Script Started: 2/24/2008 3:24:42 PM
> > Entering Send: 2/24/2008 3:24:42 PM
> > Exited Send:2/24/2008 3:25:15 PM
> >
> > As you can see, the SEND function worked in less than a second.
> >
> > So why those extra 48 seconds (as it averages about 50 in total) ???
> >

> Is that how you read it? What I see is the send function alone taking 33
> seconds to complete. You have placed the "Entrying send" and "Exiting send"
> log lines directly adjacent either side of the call to send, right?
>

> --
> Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

Anthony Jones

"JVRudnick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> good gosh...you're absolutely right! I not only couldn't type yesterday,

but
> obviously couldn't read a log either!
>
> that mea culpa stated....I agree. 33 seconds is the time it too, and yes

the
> lines are properly placed around the oMail.SEND line too.
>
> So...why? that's what's got me stumped!
>
> 3 seconds on one server and 33 on the other.....
>
> ?

Ok so we've established it isn't your script its the SMTP configuration.

Are the speedier servers using the same SMTP server?
Are you using the local SMTP server on the Web Server or another server?
Is it Exchange?
Can you review the authentication requirements of the SMTP server?
Does you script run as the anonymous user or does it use integrated
security?

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET