Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > shortcut url's and asp.net

shortcut url's and asp.net

Hans Kesting

Hi all,

Sometimes you see "shorcut url's" advertised of the form
//servername/directory (easy to remember), that will lead you to
somewhere within the site (to a possibly more difficult url)

example: //www.microsoft.com/office leads to a different
url, specifically for Office.

question: is it possible using asp.net to define such shortcut url's
that will lead the visitor to the "real" page?
I suspect that there is a problem activating the .net system as there is no
aspx page referenced, so IIS doesn't know that it is supposed to
activate some asp.net function.

Hans Kesting

adnan boz

Hi,
So far I could understand ,u want to redirect a request.
But, it has nothing todo with the ".net system".
Make a default page (set it as default content page on IIS) to your "easy to
remember" site,
which will redirect the client with a Javascript (or Response.Redirect
within cs if u need which will result the same) to your "difficult url".

Good Luck
Adnan

"Hans Kesting" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eRo$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> Sometimes you see "shorcut url's" advertised of the form
> //servername/directory (easy to remember), that will lead you to
> somewhere within the site (to a possibly more difficult url)
>
> example: //www.microsoft.com/office leads to a different
> url, specifically for Office.
>
> question: is it possible using asp.net to define such shortcut url's
> that will lead the visitor to the "real" page?
> I suspect that there is a problem activating the .net system as there is

no
> aspx page referenced, so IIS doesn't know that it is supposed to
> activate some asp.net function.
>
> Hans Kesting

Hans Kesting

Maybe I need to clarify a bit, see below

"Hans Kesting" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:eRo$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> Sometimes you see "shorcut url's" advertised of the form
> //servername/directory (easy to remember), that will lead you to
> somewhere within the site (to a possibly more difficult url)
>
> example: //www.microsoft.com/office leads to a different
> url, specifically for Office.
>
> question: is it possible using asp.net to define such shortcut url's
> that will lead the visitor to the "real" page?
> I suspect that there is a problem activating the .net system as there is no
> aspx page referenced, so IIS doesn't know that it is supposed to
> activate some asp.net function.
>
> Hans Kesting

Ultimately I want the webmaster to be able to go to some backoffice
page, select a newsitem (or whatever) and "publish" it under a shortcut url.
He can then say "go to http://mysite/mylatestnews" instead of
"go to http://mysite/dir/default.aspx?module=news&newsid=<some impossible guid>"
(where "mylatestnews" is NOT fixed, but a term he can specify himself)

Hans Kesting

Patrice

Try :
http://www.15seconds.com/issue/030522.htm

--

"Hans Kesting" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:eRo$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> Sometimes you see "shorcut url's" advertised of the form
> //servername/directory (easy to remember), that will lead you to
> somewhere within the site (to a possibly more difficult url)
>
> example: //www.microsoft.com/office leads to a different
> url, specifically for Office.
>
> question: is it possible using asp.net to define such shortcut url's
> that will lead the visitor to the "real" page?
> I suspect that there is a problem activating the .net system as there is

no
> aspx page referenced, so IIS doesn't know that it is supposed to
> activate some asp.net function.
>
> Hans Kesting

Hans Kesting

"Patrice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%23iq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try :
> http://www.15seconds.com/issue/030522.htm

Thanks, it looks interesting. I will look into it.

Hans Kesting