Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > How to execute script in unix (remote server) via asp application?

How to execute script in unix (remote server) via asp application?

nimhyea@gmail.com

What I'm trying to uncover is how to automate the running of certain
commands/scripts on a unix server via a Windows web server. The
overall idea is that a person goes to a web application and creates an
item. They enter a few key details and using those details as
parameters for the scripts I need to run, the backend of our web
server needs to send those commands to a remote unix server. A unix
account exists to do this manually, but can this be done
automatically? Again the web page is done entirely in ASP classic.

Thanks in advance.

Tim Slattery

>What I'm trying to uncover is how to automate the running of certain
>commands/scripts on a unix server via a Windows web server. The
>overall idea is that a person goes to a web application and creates an
>item. They enter a few key details and using those details as
>parameters for the scripts I need to run, the backend of our web
>server needs to send those commands to a remote unix server. A unix
>account exists to do this manually, but can this be done
>automatically? Again the web page is done entirely in ASP classic.

I did this a long time ago. It was a web system implemented as an
ISAPI DLL, written in C++. It connected to the Unix backend using
Telnet, and I wrote a C++ class that implemented the Telnet protocol.
I expect that you'd need a component to do this from an ASP page.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(Shell/User)

Gregory Bartholomew

I did something like that once as well, but I did it by opening a
bi-directional pipe with cygwin's ssh.exe (I found that I didn't have to
install cygwin on my server, I could just drop ssh.exe and a few of it's
required dll's into a folder) and I used a key to handle authentication
(sounds a little more secure than telnet, but maybe not if you are on a
private network or something).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...