Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > ASP lifetime

ASP lifetime

Rost

hi,

Any indications concerning when ASP support and tech is stopped from MS?

When is it e.g. not possible to compile/run code from a newer IIS version?

thx

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

I have no clue, but it is still present in Windows Server 2008, which means
it is not going anywhere anytime soon. You have at least three or four years
until a post 2008 version of windows, following the normal development cycle
for windows OS. This will put the earliest retirement at around 2011. As ASP
is, for all practical purposes, a layer added on top of IIS, it only
consumes cycles when you are running classic ASP, so I do not see a reason
for MS to dump it, even if they no longer actively develop improvements to
it.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

| Think outside the box!

"Rost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi,
>
> Any indications concerning when ASP support and tech is stopped from MS?
>
> When is it e.g. not possible to compile/run code from a newer IIS version?
>
> thx

Rost

thanks a lot for answering.

> This will put the earliest retirement at around 2011. As ASP
> is, for all practical purposes, a layer added on top of IIS, it only
> consumes cycles when you are running classic ASP, so I do not see a reason
> for MS to dump it, even if they no longer actively develop improvements to
> it.

So no burning platform for existing asp solutions on that front, I conclude.

/Rost

"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" wrote:

> I have no clue, but it is still present in Windows Server 2008, which means
> it is not going anywhere anytime soon. You have at least three or four years
> until a post 2008 version of windows, following the normal development cycle
> for windows OS. This will put the earliest retirement at around 2011. As ASP
> is, for all practical purposes, a layer added on top of IIS, it only
> consumes cycles when you are running classic ASP, so I do not see a reason
> for MS to dump it, even if they no longer actively develop improvements to
> it.
>
> --
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

> | Think outside the box!

> "Rost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > hi,
> >
> > Any indications concerning when ASP support and tech is stopped from MS?
> >
> > When is it e.g. not possible to compile/run code from a newer IIS version?
> >
> > thx

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Rost wrote:
> thanks a lot for answering.
>
>> This will put the earliest retirement at around 2011. As ASP
>> is, for all practical purposes, a layer added on top of IIS, it only
>> consumes cycles when you are running classic ASP, so I do not see a
>> reason for MS to dump it, even if they no longer actively develop
>> improvements to it.

> So no burning platform for existing asp solutions on that front, I
> conclude.

Huh?

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:emsBCUEXIHA.4880
@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl:

> This will put the earliest retirement at around 2011.

Or December 21, 2012 - The End of the World, according to the Mayans.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Paulo Roberto

Will the world end on 2012?

Do you think MS will release some Windows atomic edition?

"Adrienne Boswell" <(E-Mail Removed)> escreveu na mensagem
news:Xns9A2C850EB1A9arbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121.. .
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:emsBCUEXIHA.4880
> @TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl:
>
>> This will put the earliest retirement at around 2011.

> Or December 21, 2012 - The End of the World, according to the Mayans.
>
> --
> Adrienne Boswell at Home
> Arbpen Web Site Design Services
> http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

"Rost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> thanks a lot for answering.
>
>> This will put the earliest retirement at around 2011. As ASP
>> is, for all practical purposes, a layer added on top of IIS, it only
>> consumes cycles when you are running classic ASP, so I do not see a
>> reason
>> for MS to dump it, even if they no longer actively develop improvements
>> it.

> So no burning platform for existing asp solutions on that front, I
> conclude.

As long as they have Enterprise customers still using ASP, I doubt they will
create a situation where they will not upgrade that makes it impossible to
upgrade. If 99% of their big customers bail and go the .NET route, you might
see some forced obsolescence.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

| Think outside the box!

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Paulo Roberto"
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:#T8QJbHXIHA.4532
@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:

> Will the world end on 2012?

Well, I'm ending things that have moveable dates to 2012, just in case.
An example is Easter, and I'm not about to do calculations to determine
Easter's date in ASP - in PHP it's just date("M-d-Y", easter_date
(YYYY)).

> Do you think MS will release some Windows atomic edition?

What? Are create a bomb?