Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > IIS and VB6

IIS and VB6

Giles

Is there a way for a VB6 program to access IIS Manager without using
sendkeys? Specifically,I want to be able to:
1. Change the Default Web Site Home Directory to a removable Memory Stick
(e.g. f:\)
2. Set write permission to 2 folders which contain access databases (e.g.
f:\db\ and F:\db2\)
This is so my web site can be demonstrated on (localhost) laptops that don't
have an internet connection, without the (untrained) demonstrator having to
access IIS manager - they just run the exe to set up the machine.

Giles

"Giles" wrote
> Is there a way for a VB6 program to access IIS Manager without using
> sendkeys? Specifically,I want to be able to:
> 1. Change the Default Web Site Home Directory to a removable Memory Stick
> (e.g. f:\)
> 2. Set write permission to 2 folders which contain access databases (e.g.
> f:\db\ and F:\db2\)
> This is so my web site can be demonstrated on (localhost) laptops that
> don't have an internet connection, without the (untrained) demonstrator
> having to access IIS manager - they just run the exe to set up the
> machine.

Should have added: Windows XP, IIS 5.1

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Giles wrote:
> Is there a way for a VB6 program to access IIS Manager without using
> sendkeys? Specifically,I want to be able to:
> 1. Change the Default Web Site Home Directory to a removable Memory
> Stick (e.g. f:\)
> 2. Set write permission to 2 folders which contain access databases
> (e.g. f:\db\ and F:\db2\)
> This is so my web site can be demonstrated on (localhost) laptops
> that don't have an internet connection, without the (untrained)
> demonstrator having to access IIS manager - they just run the exe to
> set up the machine.

I don't know. Possibly by WMI ...
You should post to a VB group, .vb.general.discussion, or to the
inetserver.iis group (or both - if you do, please crosspost instead of
multiposting).

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

Anthony Jones

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Giles wrote:
> > Is there a way for a VB6 program to access IIS Manager without using
> > sendkeys? Specifically,I want to be able to:
> > 1. Change the Default Web Site Home Directory to a removable Memory
> > Stick (e.g. f:\)
> > 2. Set write permission to 2 folders which contain access databases
> > (e.g. f:\db\ and F:\db2\)
> > This is so my web site can be demonstrated on (localhost) laptops
> > that don't have an internet connection, without the (untrained)
> > demonstrator having to access IIS manager - they just run the exe to
> > set up the machine.

> I don't know. Possibly by WMI ...
> You should post to a VB group, .vb.general.discussion, or to the
> inetserver.iis group (or both - if you do, please crosspost instead of
> multiposting).

Actually one of the best places to get this sort of help is the
m.p.scripting.vbscript group. Present it as VBScript question, the port to
VB6 will be a no brainer.

Using ADSI this code will set the path for the root home directory for the
Default Web Site.

Dim moDir

Set moDir = GetObject("IIS://localhost/w3svc/1/root")

moDir.Path = "f:\"
moDir.SetInfo

It is based on the assumption that the default web site has the identity of
1.

However a the chaps in the VBScript group can probably give a complete WMI
based answer.

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET