Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > using a local copy of MS SQL database

using a local copy of MS SQL database

ll

Hi,
I have copied a MS SQL database to my local machine and am testing it
with ASP pages, locally, on IIS. I have a db connect page that keeps
the current connections for the live database. My question is, as the
local db is named 'local,' is there another name I need to give it and
thus call from the connection page?
Also, when copying a db, are the permissions (username and pass)
copied over with it?

Thanks,
Louis

wualdo

You can use the machine name instead of (local).
About the user name and password is depends how do you copy the db

"ll" wrote:

> Hi,
> I have copied a MS SQL database to my local machine and am testing it
> with ASP pages, locally, on IIS. I have a db connect page that keeps
> the current connections for the live database. My question is, as the
> local db is named 'local,' is there another name I need to give it and
> thus call from the connection page?
> Also, when copying a db, are the permissions (username and pass)
> copied over with it?
>
> Thanks,
> Louis

ll

On Jan 10, 5:43 pm, wualdo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> You can use the machine name instead of (local).
> About the user name and password is depends how do you copy the db
>
> "ll" wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have copied a MS SQL database to my local machine and am testing it
> > with ASP pages, locally, on IIS. I have a db connect page that keeps
> > the current connections for the live database. My question is, as the
> > local db is named 'local,' is there another name I need to give it and
> > thus call from the connection page?
> > Also, when copying a db, are the permissions (username and pass)
> > copied over with it?

> > Thanks,
> > Louis

I currently export wizard and select 'copy tables and views' from the
source database. Would this carry the username/password settings as
well?
Thanks,
Louis

Bob Barrows [MVP]

ll wrote:
> On Jan 10, 5:43 pm, wualdo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> You can use the machine name instead of (local).
>> About the user name and password is depends how do you copy the db
>>
>> "ll" wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I have copied a MS SQL database to my local machine and am testing
>>> it with ASP pages, locally, on IIS. I have a db connect page that
>>> keeps the current connections for the live database. My question
>>> is, as the local db is named 'local,' is there another name I need
>>> to give it and thus call from the connection page?
>>> Also, when copying a db, are the permissions (username and pass)
>>> copied over with it?

>>> Thanks,
>>> Louis

> I currently export wizard and select 'copy tables and views' from the
> source database. Would this carry the username/password settings as
> well?

I think the wizard has options to copy logins. There may be issues with
orphaned users. This is out-of-scope of this group. You should bring
your questions to a sqlserver group.
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET