Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Date in database

Date in database

fiefie.niles@gmail.com

Thank you everyone.

So, both the client machine and the server where the ASP is running
and where the database is located are set to UK setting. I inserted
Jan 8, 08 (8/1/0 to the database, and after retrieving the value
back from the database, I use the functions Day and Month, and they
return wrong day and month.

ssql = "select * from myTBL where ID = 1"
Set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
rs.ActiveConnection = dbConnection
rs.CursorType = adOpenKeyset
rs.LockType = adLockOptimistic
rs.Source = sSql
rs.Open
rs("colDate") = cdate("8/1/08")
rs.update
:
ssql = "select * from myTBL where ID = 1"
Set rs2 = dbConnection.Execute(sSQL)
if not (rs2.EOF) then
date3 = rs2("DATA_DATE")
sDay = day(date3) -->>>> RETURNS 1, where it suppose to
return 8
sMonth = month(date3) ->>>> RETURNS 8 (August), where it
suppose to return 1 (January)
end if

On Jan 9, 10:18*am, "Saga" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]
> When specifying a literal date (#8/1/08#) VB always expects mm/dd/yyyy
> format. So the above will be interpreted as Aug 1st, 2008. The CDate(##)
> statement above is useless since you are in effect converting a date into
> a date.
>
> On the other hand, cdate("8/1/08") is converting the string "8/1/08"into a
> date which is a step in the right direction, but it is still not 100% "safe":
>
> "CDate recognizes date formats according to the locale setting of your
> system." - MSDN Library
>
> I did the following in the immediate window:
>
> ? cdate("8/1/08")
> 08/01/2008 *(2nd) *8th of Jan
> 8/1/2008 * * (1st) * Aug 1st
>
> I set my regional settings to English US for the 1st try. I then set the
> regional settings to English UK for the 2nd test. Note how the "same" date
> was displayed, but is intepreted differently depending on locale. Best to stay
> away from having dates in strings and using these to update tables or do
> further date calculations where the month and day could be ambiguous.
>
> I did another test (in the immediate wndow):
>
> ? #8/1/2008#
> 8/1/2008 * *US setting *Aug 1st 2008
> 01/08/2008 * UK setting *1st of Aug 2008 * Same date!!!
>
> Note how the above literal is interpreted as the same date but when displayed
> it is done using the correct locale format. As mentioned before, when the #
> char is used to specify a date literal it is always interpreted as mm/dd/yyyy.
> ***
>
> rs.Update
> rs.close
> set rs = nothing
>
> I could use the "update" command on the 1st method, but I would like
> to use the 2nd method if possible. Is it possible to make the 2nd
> method above work ?
> Thank you.
>
> ***PS: I have no idea why the OP's text was not indented with the ">"
> char. It seems to have been only for this message.
>
> On Jan 8, 5:41 pm, "MikeD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > "fniles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> > > On my machine in the office I change the computer setting to English (UK)
> > > so the date format is dd/mm/yyyy instead of mm/dd/yyyy for US.
> > > This problem happens in either Access or SQL Server.
> > > In the database I have a table with Date/time column. The database is
> > > located on a machine that is set to dd/mm/yyyy also.
> > > When I enter date 7/1/08 (as in January 7, 200, it stores it in the
> > > database as 1/7/08 instead of 7/1/08. Why is it like that and how can I
> > > make the database stores it as 7/1/08 ?

> > If the data type of the column is truly one of the various "date" data
> > types, the format of the date is irrelevant. Don't worry about it.

> > However, if the data type is actually text or characters, then you've got a
> > huge problem.

> > --
> > Mike
> > Microsoft MVP Visual Basic- Hide quoted text -

Anthony Jones

[...]

<<

Did you try this:-

Dim dat : dat = CDate("8/1/08")

Response.Write Day(dat) & "<br />"
Response.Write Month(dat)

What happens? As has been pointed out at least twice in this thread already
the locale does not impact a date value, it only impacts the conversion to
and from a string.

However Locales in ASP can be tricky. Locale settings are configured at the
user level. Assuming you're only accessing the website as an anonymous
user, the user's locale settings you would be interested in would be the
IUSR_<machinename>. Since this user is unlikely to have a profile on the
machine the DEFAULT user profile will be used to find the locale settings.
Once the locale settings are loaded they are cached by IIS.

Hence it is possible to make 'changes' to the locale but not affect the
settings in the DEFAULT profile which would have initially been set when the
OS was installed. Its a common problem in the UK where Windows has been
installed with the default US settings. What OS is the web site installed
on?

Personally I would avoid the xx/xx/[xx]xx format altogether. I tend to use
01 Jan 2008 style. This is acceptable to a human and is parsable by
VB(Script), Javascript and SQL Server (I would guess Access would have no
problem with it either).

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Please. Stop trying to force a particular format when inserting data into
databases. Databases do not store format. They store numeric
recpresentations of dates. Access stores date/times as Doubles, with the
whole number portion representing the number of days since the seed date and
the decimal portion representing the time (.0 = midnight, .5 = noon). SQL
Server stores datetimes as paired integers, with the first integer
containing the number of days since the seed date, and the second containing
the number of milliseconds since midnight.

You must remember that ASP (IIS) is not running under your user account, so
just because _you_ have your regional settings set to UK, that does not mean
the account that IIS is using has that setting, which defaults to US.

Instead of cdate("8/1/08"), I suggest you use dateserial(2008,1,.

Explicitly format the dates you retrieve from the database instead of
depending on the operating system to do it for you. If you want to make sure
dates are displayed in UK format, use the Year(), Day() and Month()
functions to build a string containing the correct format which you display
to your users.

Also, instead of using a recordset to maintain data, I suggest using a
parameterized sql statement so you do not need to worry about delimiters. In
vbscript, this would look like:

ssql = "update table set coldate=? where ID = 1"
dim cmd, arParms
arParms = array(dateserial(2008,1,)
set cmd=createobject("adodb.command")
set cmd.activeconnection = dbConnection
cmd.commandetype = 1 'adCmdText
cmd.commandtext = ssql
cmd.execute ,arParms,128 'adExecuteNoRecords

This should work regardless of the backend database.

> [...]

>> I could use the "update" command on the 1st method, but I would like
>> to use the 2nd method if possible. Is it possible to make the 2nd
>> method above work ?
>> Thank you.
>>
>> ***PS: I have no idea why the OP's text was not indented with the ">"
>> char. It seems to have been only for this message.
>>
>> On Jan 8, 5:41 pm, "MikeD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> "fniles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> If the data type of the column is truly one of the various "date"
>>> data types, the format of the date is irrelevant. Don't worry about
>>> it.

>>> However, if the data type is actually text or characters, then
>>> you've got a huge problem.

>>> --
>>> Mike
>>> Microsoft MVP Visual Basic- Hide quoted text -

Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Anthony Jones wrote:
> Personally I would avoid the xx/xx/[xx]xx format altogether. I tend
> to use 01 Jan 2008 style. This is acceptable to a human and is
> parsable by VB(Script), Javascript and SQL Server (I would guess
> Access would have no problem with it either).

Actually, it would. Date literals in JetSQL must be passed in US format, or
ISO. Also, a SQL Server instance with French settings would also have a
problem with it.

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

Bob Butler

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> So, both the client machine and the server where the ASP is running
> and where the database is located are set to UK setting. I inserted
> Jan 8, 08 (8/1/0 to the database, and after retrieving the value
> back from the database, I use the functions Day and Month, and they
> return wrong day and month.
> rs("colDate") = cdate("8/1/08")

Even if you are sure that the date formats are all UK you should avod
string-to-date conversions. Use #1/8/2008# or DateSerial(2008,1,

I also always recommend not using the default names so:
rs.fields("colDate").Value=#1/8/2008#

> if not (rs2.EOF) then
> date3 = rs2("DATA_DATE")

Why are you setting "colDate" and retrieving "DATA_DATE"?

Anthony Jones

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anthony Jones wrote:
> > Personally I would avoid the xx/xx/[xx]xx format altogether. I tend
> > to use 01 Jan 2008 style. This is acceptable to a human and is
> > parsable by VB(Script), Javascript and SQL Server (I would guess
> > Access would have no problem with it either).

> Actually, it would. Date literals in JetSQL must be passed in US format,

or
> ISO. Also, a SQL Server instance with French settings would also have a
> problem with it.

I haven't worked with Jet in such a long time I forget how limited it is.
And yes my preference for dd mmm yyyy doesn't work internationally.

Unfortunately Javascript doesn't parse an ISO date and the current
implementations of XSL don't know what a date is. For me then dd mmm yyyy
is a very compelling compromise.

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

Evertjan.

Bob Butler wrote on 10 jan 2008 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

> Even if you are sure that the date formats are all UK you should avod
> string-to-date conversions. Use #1/8/2008#

The first of august?

Please no, use:

#2008/1/8#

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Bob Butler

> Bob Butler wrote on 10 jan 2008 in
>
>> Even if you are sure that the date formats are all UK you should avod
>> string-to-date conversions. Use #1/8/2008#

> The first of august?

No, the # format is always #mm/dd/yyyy# so it is consistent regardless of
your locale

> Please no, use:
>
> #2008/1/8#

Enter this in VB and press enter:
d=#2008/1/8#

Evertjan.

Bob Butler wrote on 10 jan 2008 in

> "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Bob Butler wrote on 10 jan 2008 in
>>
>>> Even if you are sure that the date formats are all UK you should
>>> avod string-to-date conversions. Use #1/8/2008#

>> The first of august?

> No, the # format is always #mm/dd/yyyy# so it is consistent regardless
> of your locale
>
>> Please no, use:
>>
>> #2008/1/8#

> Enter this in VB and press enter:
> d=#2008/1/8#

Why?

This NG is not about VB.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Bob Butler wrote:
> "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Bob Butler wrote on 10 jan 2008 in
>>
>>> Even if you are sure that the date formats are all UK you should
>>> avod string-to-date conversions. Use #1/8/2008#

>> The first of august?

> No, the # format is always #mm/dd/yyyy# so it is consistent
> regardless of your locale
>
>> Please no, use:
>>
>> #2008/1/8#

> Enter this in VB and press enter:
> d=#2008/1/8#

I don't understand the point you're trying to make. I entered this:

?#2000/8/1#

into the Immediate window in VB, pressed enter and it displayed:

8/1/2000

Were you trying to say that VB would reject that format?

PS. newsgroups added back in to the crosspost - not sure why they were
removed
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET