Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Should move to .net?

Should move to .net?

Paulo

Hi, what do you think about moving to asp.net? All the code must be
rewritten! asp.net a lot more faster than asp ? is it only advantage?

Thanks!

Anthony Jones

"Paulo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, what do you think about moving to asp.net? All the code must be
> rewritten! asp.net a lot more faster than asp ? is it only advantage?

I could give you a list of the pros and cons but frankly if you have the
opportunity you should just do it.

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

Mike

I would migrate all of your ASP apps to .NET. It'll benefit you in the long
run. Here are some benefits of going to .NET

http://colorado.verio.net/support/do...fm?doc_id=3726

I would do a 'slow' migration though, meaning, take an existing app (of
course) and slowing migrate it over to .NET. The syntax will not be the same
so there may be a learning curve. That's one of the cons. You can find a
list of pros and cons online about migrating from ASP to .NET

personally, I say migrate to .NET as soon as you can

"Paulo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, what do you think about moving to asp.net? All the code must be
> rewritten! asp.net a lot more faster than asp ? is it only advantage?
>
> Thanks!

Mike

""If it ain't broke, don't fix it" - I agree with that as well, even though
I suggest he migrate to .NET, I would say, keep your ASP apps as they are,
take an existing ASP web app and convert that over to .NET, that way he can
see the differences in ASP and .NET and he'll be learning .NET as well.

If he has 100 ASP web sites, then I say keep them as ASP and start doing all
'new sites' in .NET, but I would still migrate 1 or 2 of the ASP sites to
..NET. This way he can see how .NET works with db connections, showing data,
syntax, etc.

"Jon Paal [MSMD]" <Jon nospam Paal @ everywhere dot com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Are you looking for a reason to move or do you already have one ?
>
> if you want the sales pitch, go to MS website www.asp.net
>
> personally I believe "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
>

> "Paulo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi, what do you think about moving to asp.net? All the code must be
>> rewritten! asp.net a lot more faster than asp ? is it only advantage?
>>
>> Thanks!

Paulo

What the word "ain't" mean?

Thanks to all!

"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> escreveu na mensagem
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ""If it ain't broke, don't fix it" - I agree with that as well, even
> though I suggest he migrate to .NET, I would say, keep your ASP apps as
> they are, take an existing ASP web app and convert that over to .NET, that
> way he can see the differences in ASP and .NET and he'll be learning .NET
> as well.
>
> If he has 100 ASP web sites, then I say keep them as ASP and start doing
> all 'new sites' in .NET, but I would still migrate 1 or 2 of the ASP sites
> to .NET. This way he can see how .NET works with db connections, showing
> data, syntax, etc.
>

> "Jon Paal [MSMD]" <Jon nospam Paal @ everywhere dot com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> Are you looking for a reason to move or do you already have one ?
>>
>> if you want the sales pitch, go to MS website www.asp.net
>>
>> personally I believe "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
>>

>> "Paulo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi, what do you think about moving to asp.net? All the code must be
>>> rewritten! asp.net a lot more faster than asp ? is it only advantage?
>>>
>>> Thanks!

Mike

"if its not broke, don't fix it"

"Paulo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What the word "ain't" mean?
>
> Thanks to all!
>
> "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> escreveu na mensagem
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> ""If it ain't broke, don't fix it" - I agree with that as well, even
>> though I suggest he migrate to .NET, I would say, keep your ASP apps as
>> they are, take an existing ASP web app and convert that over to .NET,
>> that way he can see the differences in ASP and .NET and he'll be learning
>> .NET as well.
>>
>> If he has 100 ASP web sites, then I say keep them as ASP and start doing
>> all 'new sites' in .NET, but I would still migrate 1 or 2 of the ASP
>> sites to .NET. This way he can see how .NET works with db connections,
>> showing data, syntax, etc.
>>

>> "Jon Paal [MSMD]" <Jon nospam Paal @ everywhere dot com> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>

>>> Are you looking for a reason to move or do you already have one ?
>>>
>>> if you want the sales pitch, go to MS website www.asp.net
>>>
>>> personally I believe "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
>>>

>>> "Paulo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Paulo

Thanks Jon and everyone! I am from Brasil and my english is not so good as
yours! but i am trying to learn!

thansk again and have a good year 2008!

"Jon Paal [MSMD]" <Jon nospam Paal @ everywhere dot com> escreveu na