Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Send mail with ASP

Send mail with ASP

Ron Hinds

Our webserver is currently Windows 2000 Server. Many of our pages send mail
using the CDONTS object library. It is simple and very straightforward. We
have built a new webserver using Windows Server 2003 Web Edition.
Unfortunately, 2003 doesn't have the CDONTS library anymore. I'm looking for
a new solution that is preferably as easy to use. But I would also like some
additional functionality. The webserver will be hosting five web
applications using five different domain names each with it's own external
IP address. More and more eMail services (Hotmail and SBC Global are doing
this right now) block eMail where the domain in the sender's "From:" address
doesn't match the domain of the sending SMTP server. I have created the a
SMTP Virtual Server for each domain/IP address, and the domains' MX records
point to the appropriate IP addresses for reverse-lookup. Now I just need a
way to send from that particular virtual server.

Dooza

Ron Hinds wrote:
> Our webserver is currently Windows 2000 Server. Many of our pages send mail
> using the CDONTS object library. It is simple and very straightforward. We
> have built a new webserver using Windows Server 2003 Web Edition.
> Unfortunately, 2003 doesn't have the CDONTS library anymore. I'm looking for
> a new solution that is preferably as easy to use. But I would also like some
> additional functionality. The webserver will be hosting five web
> applications using five different domain names each with it's own external
> IP address. More and more eMail services (Hotmail and SBC Global are doing
> this right now) block eMail where the domain in the sender's "From:" address
> doesn't match the domain of the sending SMTP server. I have created the a
> SMTP Virtual Server for each domain/IP address, and the domains' MX records
> point to the appropriate IP addresses for reverse-lookup. Now I just need a
> way to send from that particular virtual server.

If you like CDONTS why don't you install it on your Win2K3 server? I
know its depreciated, and not recommended, but have a look at this:
http://www.webthang.co.uk/Tuts/tuts_...p1/smtp1_1.asp

Steve

Anthony Jones

"Dooza" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ron Hinds wrote:
> > Our webserver is currently Windows 2000 Server. Many of our pages send

mail
> > using the CDONTS object library. It is simple and very straightforward.

We
> > have built a new webserver using Windows Server 2003 Web Edition.
> > Unfortunately, 2003 doesn't have the CDONTS library anymore. I'm looking

for
> > a new solution that is preferably as easy to use. But I would also like

some
> > additional functionality. The webserver will be hosting five web
> > applications using five different domain names each with it's own

external
> > IP address. More and more eMail services (Hotmail and SBC Global are

doing
> > this right now) block eMail where the domain in the sender's "From:"

address
> > doesn't match the domain of the sending SMTP server. I have created the

> > SMTP Virtual Server for each domain/IP address, and the domains' MX

records
> > point to the appropriate IP addresses for reverse-lookup. Now I just

need a
> > way to send from that particular virtual server.

> If you like CDONTS why don't you install it on your Win2K3 server? I
> know its depreciated, and not recommended, but have a look at this:
> http://www.webthang.co.uk/Tuts/tuts_...p1/smtp1_1.asp

Don't do that. CDONTS is deprecated and isn't supported on Win2K3.

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

Anthony Jones

"Ron Hinds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u5ttu$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Our webserver is currently Windows 2000 Server. Many of our pages send

mail
> using the CDONTS object library. It is simple and very straightforward. We
> have built a new webserver using Windows Server 2003 Web Edition.
> Unfortunately, 2003 doesn't have the CDONTS library anymore. I'm looking

for
> a new solution that is preferably as easy to use. But I would also like

some
> additional functionality. The webserver will be hosting five web
> applications using five different domain names each with it's own external
> IP address. More and more eMail services (Hotmail and SBC Global are doing
> this right now) block eMail where the domain in the sender's "From:"

address
> doesn't match the domain of the sending SMTP server. I have created the a
> SMTP Virtual Server for each domain/IP address, and the domains' MX

records
> point to the appropriate IP addresses for reverse-lookup. Now I just need

> way to send from that particular virtual server.

You need to be using CDOSYS to be sending mail. Its interface is a little
more complex than CDONTS but not much.

You can supply different configurations to a CDO.Message that can target
different SMTP virtual servers. See:-

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...62(VS.85).aspx

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

TOUDIdel

Użytkownik "Anthony Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> napisał w wiadomości
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> You can supply different configurations to a CDO.Message that can target
> different SMTP virtual servers. See:-

I agree. I think using CDO.Message object is quite good way to send messages
--
td
xmlguru.net

Dooza

TOUDIdel wrote:
> Użytkownik "Anthony Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> napisał w wiadomości
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You can supply different configurations to a CDO.Message that can target
>> different SMTP virtual servers. See:-

> I agree. I think using CDO.Message object is quite good way to send

messages

I do too agree, there is always a good reason why a technology is
depreciated, so getting CDOSYS going is the best way forward. My
suggestion was really an interim proposal to get tahe existing code
working straight away, a stop gap if you will. But if time isn't an
issue, changing to CDOSYS isn't that big a challenge.

Steve

Ron Hinds

"Anthony Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Ron Hinds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:u5ttu$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Our webserver is currently Windows 2000 Server. Many of our pages send

> mail
>> using the CDONTS object library. It is simple and very straightforward.
>> We
>> have built a new webserver using Windows Server 2003 Web Edition.
>> Unfortunately, 2003 doesn't have the CDONTS library anymore. I'm looking

> for
>> a new solution that is preferably as easy to use. But I would also like

> some
>> additional functionality. The webserver will be hosting five web
>> applications using five different domain names each with it's own
>> external
>> IP address. More and more eMail services (Hotmail and SBC Global are
>> doing
>> this right now) block eMail where the domain in the sender's "From:"

> address
>> doesn't match the domain of the sending SMTP server. I have created the a
>> SMTP Virtual Server for each domain/IP address, and the domains' MX

> records
>> point to the appropriate IP addresses for reverse-lookup. Now I just need

>> way to send from that particular virtual server.
>>

> You need to be using CDOSYS to be sending mail. Its interface is a
> little
> more complex than CDONTS but not much.
>
> You can supply different configurations to a CDO.Message that can target
> different SMTP virtual servers. See:-
>
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...62(VS.85).aspx

Thanks that's just what I was looking for.