Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > redirect all pages from domain B to a maintenance page on domain A

redirect all pages from domain B to a maintenance page on domain A

c676228

Hi all,

We have two sites hosted on different servers and we have many pages on
domain A which has many links(asp programs) to domain B.
My question is if domain B server is in trouble, what is the best way to
have all domain pages redirect to domain A? Right now I just have redirect
code in each program on domain B to redirect to a maintenance page on domain
A.
Can I just write on program to solve this issue?
Thanks.
--
Betty

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Betty,

As for the page redirection, I think it may depend the error or failure on
domain B's page and how you can get noticed of and handle them. For
example, when user be linked to domain B pages(from domainA pages) and that
page occured error, how could you handle the error? If it is an expected
error, you may catch it in a certain scope, however, if it is an unhandled
exception, how could you detect it? In the latter case, it would be hard to
do the redirection, do you think so?

Also, for "domain B server" is in trouble, do you mean the server is down?
And what's the redirection behavior you want?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

--------------------
>From: =?Utf-8?B?YzY3NjIyOA==?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: redirect all pages from domain B to a maintenance page on domain A
>Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 23:52:01 -0800
>
>Hi all,
>
>We have two sites hosted on different servers and we have many pages on
>domain A which has many links(asp programs) to domain B.
> My question is if domain B server is in trouble, what is the best way to
>have all domain pages redirect to domain A? Right now I just have redirect
>code in each program on domain B to redirect to a maintenance page on

domain
>A.
>Can I just write on program to solve this issue?
>Thanks.
>--
>Betty

c676228

Hi Steven,
I am sorry. I didn't make that clear. I mean the server B is down. If our
agents or brokers have direct links to our server B and I want all those
pages on server B will be redirected to domain A or I can just have a html on
server B state(in case of only IIS canot serve asp page or database is down)
that "visit us after XXX hours etc."

Thank you.
--
Betty

"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Betty,
>
> As for the page redirection, I think it may depend the error or failure on
> domain B's page and how you can get noticed of and handle them. For
> example, when user be linked to domain B pages(from domainA pages) and that
> page occured error, how could you handle the error? If it is an expected
> error, you may catch it in a certain scope, however, if it is an unhandled
> exception, how could you detect it? In the latter case, it would be hard to
> do the redirection, do you think so?
>
> Also, for "domain B server" is in trouble, do you mean the server is down?
> And what's the redirection behavior you want?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Steven Cheng
>
> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

> --------------------
> >From: =?Utf-8?B?YzY3NjIyOA==?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >Subject: redirect all pages from domain B to a maintenance page on domain A
> >Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 23:52:01 -0800
> >
> >Hi all,
> >
> >We have two sites hosted on different servers and we have many pages on
> >domain A which has many links(asp programs) to domain B.
> > My question is if domain B server is in trouble, what is the best way to
> >have all domain pages redirect to domain A? Right now I just have redirect
> >code in each program on domain B to redirect to a maintenance page on

> domain
> >A.
> >Can I just write on program to solve this issue?
> >Thanks.
> >--
> >Betty

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Betty,

Thanks for the reply.

As Jon mentioned, if the IIS server get down(or even the entire server
down), it would be quite hard to do the automatic redirection. I think you
may implement a monitor/lookup service for those servers(constantly ping to
check whether the certain servers are working correctly). Thus, you can get
the ponit when the server stop working.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

--------------------
>From: =?Utf-8?B?YzY3NjIyOA==?= <(E-Mail Removed)>

<(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: RE: redirect all pages from domain B to a maintenance page on doma
>Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 09:49:01 -0800

>Hi Steven,
>I am sorry. I didn't make that clear. I mean the server B is down. If our
>agents or brokers have direct links to our server B and I want all those
>pages on server B will be redirected to domain A or I can just have a html

on
>server B state(in case of only IIS canot serve asp page or database is

down)
>that "visit us after XXX hours etc."
>
>Thank you.
>--
>Betty
>

>"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Betty,
>>
>> As for the page redirection, I think it may depend the error or failure

on
>> domain B's page and how you can get noticed of and handle them. For
>> example, when user be linked to domain B pages(from domainA pages) and

that
>> page occured error, how could you handle the error? If it is an expected
>> error, you may catch it in a certain scope, however, if it is an

unhandled
>> exception, how could you detect it? In the latter case, it would be hard

>> do the redirection, do you think so?
>>
>> Also, for "domain B server" is in trouble, do you mean the server is

down?
>> And what's the redirection behavior you want?
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Steven Cheng
>>
>> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

rights.

>> --------------------
>> >From: =?Utf-8?B?YzY3NjIyOA==?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> >Subject: redirect all pages from domain B to a maintenance page on

domain A
>> >Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 23:52:01 -0800
>> >
>> >Hi all,
>> >
>> >We have two sites hosted on different servers and we have many pages on
>> >domain A which has many links(asp programs) to domain B.
>> > My question is if domain B server is in trouble, what is the best way

>> >have all domain pages redirect to domain A? Right now I just have

redirect
>> >code in each program on domain B to redirect to a maintenance page on

>> domain
>> >A.
>> >Can I just write on program to solve this issue?
>> >Thanks.
>> >--
>> >Betty

p byers

Most ISPs have more than one Name Server specified.
Could the second NameServer point to the second server ??

This could deal with 'Server A' failure

Pete (Northolt UK)

c676228 wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We have two sites hosted on different servers and we have many pages on
> domain A which has many links(asp programs) to domain B.
> My question is if domain B server is in trouble, what is the best way to
> have all domain pages redirect to domain A? Right now I just have redirect
> code in each program on domain B to redirect to a maintenance page on domain
> A.
> Can I just write on program to solve this issue?
> Thanks.
> --
> Betty

p byers

Most registrations for a Web Site have more than one Name Server entries

If you made the second Name Server entry point to domain B
Would that not deal with Server A failure ??

Pete (Northolt UK)