Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Max Size Of Array

Reply
Thread Tools

Max Size Of Array

 
 
RN1
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2007
Is there any limitation to the maximum size of an array in ASP?

Thanks
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bob Barrows [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2007
RN1 wrote:
> Is there any limitation to the maximum size of an array in ASP?


"ASP" does not have arrays: vbscript and jscript do, and the answer may
depend on which scripting language you are using (or maybe not - I'm
feeling too lazy right now to go look it up)

In either case, the answer is Yes, and hopefully you will never try to
reach the limit. Your server will probably die before you get there
.. . .

OK, I did look it up: in VBA, the UBound function returns a Long value,
so the max value it can return is 2,147,483,647 - is that big enough for
you?
I can't find the corresponding info for jscript right now, but I doubt
it's relevant for you anyways.


--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. The email account listed in my From
header is my spam trap, so I don't check it very often. You will get a
quicker response by posting to the newsgroup.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave Anderson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2007
Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote:
> I can't find the corresponding info for jscript right now, but I
> doubt it's relevant for you anyways.


JScript arrays are associative and sparse, so they don't really have a
limit. There are practical limitations, however. For example, Array.length
is the same for (2^53)-element and (2^53+1)-element arrays


--
Dave Anderson

Unsolicited commercial email will be read at a cost of $500 per message. Use
of this email address implies consent to these terms.


 
Reply With Quote
 
RN1
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2007
On Dec 14, 11:47 pm, "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> RN1 wrote:
> > Is there any limitation to the maximum size of an array in ASP?

>
> "ASP" does not have arrays: vbscript and jscript do, and the answer may
> depend on which scripting language you are using (or maybe not - I'm
> feeling too lazy right now to go look it up)
>
> In either case, the answer is Yes, and hopefully you will never try to
> reach the limit. Your server will probably die before you get there
> . . .
>
> OK, I did look it up: in VBA, the UBound function returns a Long value,
> so the max value it can return is 2,147,483,647 - is that big enough for
> you?
> I can't find the corresponding info for jscript right now, but I doubt
> it's relevant for you anyways.
>
> --
> Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
> Please reply to the newsgroup. The email account listed in my From
> header is my spam trap, so I don't check it very often. You will get a
> quicker response by posting to the newsgroup.


Doesn't the max limitation depend on the server's memory size?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob Barrows [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2007
RN1 wrote:
> On Dec 14, 11:47 pm, "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> RN1 wrote:
>>> Is there any limitation to the maximum size of an array in ASP?

>>
>> "ASP" does not have arrays: vbscript and jscript do, and the answer
>> may depend on which scripting language you are using (or maybe not -
>> I'm feeling too lazy right now to go look it up)
>>
>> In either case, the answer is Yes, and hopefully you will never try
>> to reach the limit. Your server will probably die before you get
>> there . . .
>>
>> OK, I did look it up: in VBA, the UBound function returns a Long
>> value, so the max value it can return is 2,147,483,647 - is that big
>> enough for you?
>> I can't find the corresponding info for jscript right now, but I
>> doubt it's relevant for you anyways.



> Doesn't the max limitation depend on the server's memory size?


Yes, I think I was implying that when I talked about his server dying.

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. The email account listed in my From
header is my spam trap, so I don't check it very often. You will get a
quicker response by posting to the newsgroup.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Anderson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2007
RN1 wrote:
> Doesn't the max limitation depend on the server's memory size?


Probably not as much as the OS limitation. I would be very surprised to hear
that JScript was re-written to use 64-bit memory addressing.



--
Dave Anderson

Unsolicited commercial email will be read at a cost of $500 per message. Use
of this email address implies consent to these terms.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Array max size suppamax C++ 1 06-26-2007 01:09 PM
Max size of an array used in perl. rajendra Perl Misc 3 01-30-2007 09:21 PM
Max size of an array in c#? kaczmar2@hotmail.com ASP .Net 2 11-17-2006 04:11 PM
Max Apperture and Max. Shutter Speed Confusion-HELP bhaskar Digital Photography 12 07-22-2003 05:17 PM



Advertisments