Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > New host needed

New host needed

Laphan

Hi All

We've had a Fasthosts reseller account for quite a few years now and have
been relatively happy until now.

Unfortunately they've started to push out MySQL DBs (I think 4.2.x or 5)
that don't work very well with classic ASP and basically said you can
b*$*"s if it don't work with your apps.

In which case, we do not wish to pander to the FHosts machine anymore and
are looking for a new host.

Bearing in mind what the Windows based FHosts reseller account can provide,
can anybody suggest a better host?

Please note we were stung badly by 2 'from the attic' ISPs before so we
don't want to go down that route anymore.

Thanks

Laphan

Brynn

On Nov 24, 8:34 am, "Laphan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> We've had a Fasthosts reseller account for quite a few years now and have
> been relatively happy until now.
>
> Unfortunately they've started to push out MySQL DBs (I think 4.2.x or 5)
> that don't work very well with classic ASP and basically said you can
> b*$*"s if it don't work with your apps.
>
> In which case, we do not wish to pander to the FHosts machine anymore and
> are looking for a new host.
>
> Bearing in mind what the Windows based FHosts reseller account can provide,
> can anybody suggest a better host?
>
> Please note we were stung badly by 2 'from the attic' ISPs before so we
> don't want to go down that route anymore.
>
> Thanks
>
> Laphan

How many domains?
Do you resell to others or only need room for your multiple domains?
Do you only need IIS, ASP and MySql technologies?
Do you need a certain amount of emails for each domain?

I have done quite a bit of research on this topic ... please post what
things specifically you need ... I will watch this post and reply.
Granted I am to multiple dedicated servers now, but I still have a
pretty good idea of who fits who's needs and stay up to date because I
have plenty of friends that I am the go to guy when asking these sorts
of questions (( and I don't want anyone but my projects on my
servers )).

Brynn

Laphan

Hi Brynn

Thanks for getting back to me.

The list is as follows:

Ability to use name servers with our domains (we are members of Nominet, but
don't have our own servers so our name servers are FHosts' name servers)
Unlimited domains - we resell web sites / mailboxes to end users
Unlimited sub-domains
Unlimited bandwidth
Unlimited web space
Unlimited standard POP3 mailboxes
Unlimited mail forwarders
Ability to add advanced mailboxes (ie anti-virus/anti-spam) - we currently
pay 10 per mailnox pa
Web stats - currently pay 15 per site pa
Classic ASP
PHP - but not essential
ASP.net - not essential as we haven't used this tech yet
JMail
ASPupload
FTP configurable access, ie we configure certain sites to only get to
certain areas of a site
SSL space (ASP, JMail, ASPupload, etc savvy) - currently pay 50 per 50MB pa
MySQL DB - currently pay 25 per 150MB pa (I think might be 300 MB now)
ASP to MySQL DB connectivity (although this is the reason we are moving
because of a change in policy)
Unlimited Access DBs
Would be keen to use SQL Server DBs, but they are too expensive of FHosts
DSN-less connections
Control Panel setup rather than sending requests to ISP tech
24/7 support

Wish list, but not essential
ZIP functionality server side
PDF creation server side
greater ASP timeouts

Apart from the additional service bits we pay 500 pa for this reseller
account.

Any ideas?

Thanks

"Brynn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Nov 24, 8:34 am, "Laphan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> We've had a Fasthosts reseller account for quite a few years now and have
> been relatively happy until now.
>
> Unfortunately they've started to push out MySQL DBs (I think 4.2.x or 5)
> that don't work very well with classic ASP and basically said you can
> b*$*"s if it don't work with your apps.
>
> In which case, we do not wish to pander to the FHosts machine anymore and
> are looking for a new host.
>
> Bearing in mind what the Windows based FHosts reseller account can
> provide,
> can anybody suggest a better host?
>
> Please note we were stung badly by 2 'from the attic' ISPs before so we
> don't want to go down that route anymore.
>
> Thanks
>
> Laphan

How many domains?
Do you resell to others or only need room for your multiple domains?
Do you only need IIS, ASP and MySql technologies?
Do you need a certain amount of emails for each domain?

I have done quite a bit of research on this topic ... please post what
things specifically you need ... I will watch this post and reply.
Granted I am to multiple dedicated servers now, but I still have a
pretty good idea of who fits who's needs and stay up to date because I
have plenty of friends that I am the go to guy when asking these sorts
of questions (( and I don't want anyone but my projects on my
servers )).

Brynn

p byers

one and one - works for me - they are the bes I ever found
Pete (Northolt UK)

Laphan wrote:

> Hi All
>
> We've had a Fasthosts reseller account for quite a few years now and have
> been relatively happy until now.
>
> Unfortunately they've started to push out MySQL DBs (I think 4.2.x or 5)
> that don't work very well with classic ASP and basically said you can
> b*$*"s if it don't work with your apps.
>
> In which case, we do not wish to pander to the FHosts machine anymore and
> are looking for a new host.
>
> Bearing in mind what the Windows based FHosts reseller account can provide,
> can anybody suggest a better host?
>
> Please note we were stung badly by 2 'from the attic' ISPs before so we
> don't want to go down that route anymore.
>
> Thanks
>
> Laphan

Brynn

On Nov 24, 8:34 am, "Laphan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> We've had a Fasthosts reseller account for quite a few years now and have
> been relatively happy until now.
>
> Unfortunately they've started to push out MySQL DBs (I think 4.2.x or 5)
> that don't work very well with classic ASP and basically said you can
> b*$*"s if it don't work with your apps.
>
> In which case, we do not wish to pander to the FHosts machine anymore and
> are looking for a new host.
>
> Bearing in mind what the Windows based FHosts reseller account can provide,
> can anybody suggest a better host?
>
> Please note we were stung badly by 2 'from the attic' ISPs before so we
> don't want to go down that route anymore.
>
> Thanks
>
> Laphan

It is going to be very very difficult to find anyone legitimate that
is unlimited anything. I guarantee anyone that is unlimited anything,
that when you get close to a limit they are uncomfortable with, they
are going to come up with some reason that you are misusing their
service or using too much of their something err other.

I would humbly suggest starting to analyze what your customer base is
utilizing and start a more structured hosting plan ... and just make
it big vs unlimited ... then you can go with someone that will provide
you with great service, and not have to worry about the attics. When I
first started, I got stuck with an in the attic company and was
totally unaware ... I DIED inside when I found out the hard way ...
when their servers shutdown over night and I never heard from them
again.

THANKFULLY I had my domains sitting somewhere safe. I now use
1and1.com and am going to start using serverbeach.com for a major
project soon.

Bob Milutinovic

"Laphan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e3%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All
>
> We've had a Fasthosts reseller account for quite a few years now and have
> been relatively happy until now.
>
> Unfortunately they've started to push out MySQL DBs (I think 4.2.x or 5)
> that don't work very well with classic ASP and basically said you can
> b*$*"s if it don't work with your apps.

I've been using these guys for several years; never a problem, and always
prompt to resolve any issues without being prodded & poked;

http://www.reseller-center.com/

Your choice of Windows or Linux hosts, and all accounts provide both SQL
Server and MySQL facilities.

- Bob.

whoistfd@gmail.com

I have been using them for a long time also. However, these last few
months I have been having a few issues and slow response time. Right
now, I am going on a about 36 hours for a ticket to be resolved and I
am unable to do the config change myself, so I need them to do the
configuration, but I have not heard from them at all in reference to
teh tickets. I have a very unhappy customer and I guess that I need
another ASP provider due to the response times when the servers fail
and they have to rebuild.

Tom