Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > ASP on a home computer

ASP on a home computer

consulttech2004@hotmail.com

Hello!

I am trying to play with ASP on my home computer. I am placing a
"hello.asp" page with simple code in C:\Inetpub or C:\Inetpub\wwwroot
and running it and am getting:

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site
might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to
adjust your browser settings.

I am running Windows 2000 Server, and I just stripped off Apache/
MySQL. I am not sure what I need to do to allow myself to run ASP
pages on my home computer, but I would really like to do so! Help!

David

Brynn

On Nov 23, 10:18 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am trying to play with ASP on my home computer. I am placing a
> "hello.asp" page with simple code in C:\Inetpub or C:\Inetpub\wwwroot
> and running it and am getting:
>
> The page cannot be displayed
> The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site
> might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to
> adjust your browser settings.
>
> I am running Windows 2000 Server, and I just stripped off Apache/
> MySQL. I am not sure what I need to do to allow myself to run ASP
> pages on my home computer, but I would really like to do so! Help!
>
> David

Hmmm ... I have never used the actual default directory ... lol.

Right from the get go I started out with my files on a seperate drive
from my OS. I would just start off by creating your own folder
somewhere on your computer, and use that as your web folder.

Then go into IIS , right click on the website and click properties ,
and click the 'Home Directory' tab and then click the browse button
and browse to the directory you created. While you are at it ... if
you are going to be the only person looking at the website while it is
on your computer ... go to the 'Website' tab and switch the IP Address
to 127.0.0.1

Then try creating your website file in the folder you created.

Create hello.asp to be ..

<%
response.write "hello world"
%>

and then in your browser type the address http://127.0.0.1/hello.asp

Take Care,
Brynn Curry

Brynn

On Nov 24, 3:51 am, Brynn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Nov 23, 10:18 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

> > Hello!

> > I am trying to play with ASP on my home computer. I am placing a
> > "hello.asp" page with simple code in C:\Inetpub or C:\Inetpub\wwwroot
> > and running it and am getting:

> > The page cannot be displayed
> > The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site
> > might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to
> > adjust your browser settings.

> > I am running Windows 2000 Server, and I just stripped off Apache/
> > MySQL. I am not sure what I need to do to allow myself to run ASP
> > pages on my home computer, but I would really like to do so! Help!

> > David

> Hmmm ... I have never used the actual default directory ... lol.
>
> Right from the get go I started out with my files on a seperate drive
> from my OS. I would just start off by creating your own folder
> somewhere on your computer, and use that as your web folder.
>
> Then go into IIS , right click on the website and click properties ,
> and click the 'Home Directory' tab and then click the browse button
> and browse to the directory you created. While you are at it ... if
> you are going to be the only person looking at the website while it is
> on your computer ... go to the 'Website' tab and switch the IP Address
> to 127.0.0.1
>
> Then try creating your website file in the folder you created.
>
> Create hello.asp to be ..
>
> <%
> response.write "hello world"
> %>
>
> and then in your browser type the addresshttp://127.0.0.1/hello.asp
>
> Take Care,
> Brynn Curry

If this is unsuccessful ... try uninstalling and reinstalling IIS.
However unlikely ... this will help to insure that the Apache
uninstall did not negatively effect IIS.