Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Automated Email

Automated Email

Brett_A

I need to send an automated email each day (Member expiration
notices). The data sits in an SQL Server but SQL Mail is not
available.

Building an .asp page that makes this happen isn't a problem, but that
page would have to be loaded each day for the process to run.

Any ideas on how to make this happen?

Thanks

Brett

Evertjan.

Brett_A wrote on 08 nov 2007 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

> I need to send an automated email each day (Member expiration
> notices). The data sits in an SQL Server but SQL Mail is not
> available.
>
> Building an .asp page that makes this happen isn't a problem, but that
> page would have to be loaded each day for the process to run.
>
> Any ideas on how to make this happen?

1 call it from a scheduled task on a client pc of yourself.

or

2 if the time inplat is low, and you have enough regular visitors,
run it on the homepage of the first visitor every day after say 7 o'clock,
ansd store the fact it is run that day somewhere in a file or the database.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Dooza

Brett_A wrote:
> I need to send an automated email each day (Member expiration
> notices). The data sits in an SQL Server but SQL Mail is not
> available.
>
> Building an .asp page that makes this happen isn't a problem, but that
> page would have to be loaded each day for the process to run.
>
> Any ideas on how to make this happen?
>
> Thanks
>
> Brett

Set up scheduled job and use this activex:

Dim WshShell
Set WshShell =CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.Run ("http://www.yourwebsitecom/yourpage.asp")
Set WsShell = Nothing

It works nicely for me.

Steve

Brett_A

On Nov 8, 11:17 am, Dooza <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Brett_A wrote:
> > I need to send an automated email each day (Member expiration
> > notices). The data sits in an SQL Server but SQL Mail is not
> > available.

> > Building an .asp page that makes this happen isn't a problem, but that
> > page would have to be loaded each day for the process to run.

> > Any ideas on how to make this happen?

> > Thanks

> > Brett

> Set up scheduled job and use this activex:
>
> Dim WshShell
> Set WshShell =CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
> WshShell.Run ("http://www.yourwebsitecom/yourpage.asp")
> Set WsShell = Nothing
>
> It works nicely for me.
>
> Steve

Steve,

Can you point me to more information about how to do this?

Thanks

Brett

Anthony Jones

"Brett_A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I need to send an automated email each day (Member expiration
> notices). The data sits in an SQL Server but SQL Mail is not
> available.
>
> Building an .asp page that makes this happen isn't a problem, but that
> page would have to be loaded each day for the process to run.
>
> Any ideas on how to make this happen?

Why not take the code in the ASP page put it in a VBScript file and set up a
scheduled task to execute it daily.

Control Panel | Scheduled task | Open
File | New > | Scheduled Task

Rename the task to something sensible.

Open properties of task

For task to run browser to system32\cscript.exe then add the the filename
of the vbs file as a parameter.

Set Start in to the folder the VBS file is in. Configure Run as for the
user that task should run as.

Other settings are pretty self explanatory.

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

Dooza

Brett_A wrote:
> Can you point me to more information about how to do this?

Hi Brett,
In Enterprise Manager expand the Management Tab, then the SQL Server
Agent Tab and click on Jobs. Now right click on Jobs and create a new one.

Give it a name, and then click on the Steps tab. Click on New, name the
step and then select Active X Script from the type list. Copy and paste
the code into command text area and amend the script to suit your page.
When done click ok and then go into the schedule tab and set it up
correctly.

That should be all you need to do.

Steve

Brett_A

On Nov 9, 4:01 am, Dooza <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Brett_A wrote:
> > Can you point me to more information about how to do this?

> Hi Brett,
> In Enterprise Manager expand the Management Tab, then the SQL Server
> Agent Tab and click on Jobs. Now right click on Jobs and create a new one.
>
> Give it a name, and then click on the Steps tab. Click on New, name the
> step and then select Active X Script from the type list. Copy and paste
> the code into command text area and amend the script to suit your page.
> When done click ok and then go into the schedule tab and set it up
> correctly.
>
> That should be all you need to do.
>
> Steve

Thanks Steve, I give that a shot.