Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Netgear DG834G (v3) wireless router - firewall rules - port forwarding

Netgear DG834G (v3) wireless router - firewall rules - port forwarding

PW

I have a Netgear DG834G (v3) wireless router. I also host an ASP website
from my home computer. I had a problem when I first got this router that
was blocking requests from outside from seeing the website. I overcame that
problem by adding a firewall rule and everything has been working fine for
months.

Then last night I had my computer hang several times on a file called
agp440.sys. After many attempts I finally got that problem resolved.
Everything works, even my internet access. However I cannot see my ASP
website when I use the normal URL. I've checked the firewall rules and they
are all still there and appear to be in effect.

So whats causing this problem?

Any thoughts appreciated,
PW

Anthony Jones

"PW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have a Netgear DG834G (v3) wireless router. I also host an ASP website
> from my home computer. I had a problem when I first got this router that
> was blocking requests from outside from seeing the website. I overcame

that
> problem by adding a firewall rule and everything has been working fine for
> months.
>
> Then last night I had my computer hang several times on a file called
> agp440.sys. After many attempts I finally got that problem resolved.
> Everything works, even my internet access. However I cannot see my ASP
> website when I use the normal URL. I've checked the firewall rules and

they
> are all still there and appear to be in effect.
>
> So whats causing this problem?

Are you sure your site is up and running? What happens if you attempt to
use localhost to access your site?

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

PW

"Anthony Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> Are you sure your site is up and running? What happens if you attempt to
> use localhost to access your site?

Yes, it runs fine using localhost.

However, in the meantime I have resolved the problem. If someone else has a
similar problem, read this ...
http://www.portforward.com/english/r...834GT/HTTP.htm

I'm still not exactly sure what the problem was, but what I did was delete
the existing firewall rule (which I created months ago) that allows HTTP
requests, and tried to re-create the same rule. But it wouldn't let me
because it said a rule for opening port 80 already existed !! So I found
the other existing rule and enabled that, and it worked.

Why my existing rule was allowed to be created (months ago mind you) when a
port 80 rule already existed ... I don't understand.

Anyway, it works now, so I'm happy (but still confused).