Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > write a file to as subfolder of a InetServer location

write a file to as subfolder of a InetServer location

Thanh-Nhan Le

Hello,

I have an ASP application on IIS server:
http://localhost/myApp
I use ASP and a my own VB activex DLL to create a pdf file and write this
file to a subfolder of the Application folder:
http://localhost/myApp/pdfs

1-
Over IIS I have set the "write permission" for this subfolder.
But each time I receive the message: "Can't open output file (bad filename,
in use by other application)", error 0x80040202

2- a visual basic test application can call this DLL, generate and write the
file without problem to the folder

3- with ASP I generate the file in a normal folder (ie c:\temp), it works
Then my ASP page use FileSystemObject to copy this file to the folder
...MyApp/pdfs
When I call this page there is no error message, but the programm runs utils
the line, where FileSystemObject to copy the file to the folder, then it
stops there. The process is hung (dead). The file is not copied...

How can I do?

Thanks
Nhan

Anthony Jones

"Thanh-Nhan Le" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I have an ASP application on IIS server:
> http://localhost/myApp
> I use ASP and a my own VB activex DLL to create a pdf file and write this
> file to a subfolder of the Application folder:
> http://localhost/myApp/pdfs
>
> 1-
> Over IIS I have set the "write permission" for this subfolder.
> But each time I receive the message: "Can't open output file (bad

filename,
> in use by other application)", error 0x80040202

The above step affects http access rights and is irrelevant to what you are
doing. The dll is accessing the folder via the windows file system.

You need to grant the IUSR_<machinename> user account Read Write access to
folder you've created using windows explorer.

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

Thanh-Nhan Le

yes, thanks,
can you tell me, how can I do it? I have tried it.
My system is window XP professional SP2

Tnanks

"Anthony Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Thanh-Nhan Le" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have an ASP application on IIS server:
>> http://localhost/myApp
>> I use ASP and a my own VB activex DLL to create a pdf file and write this
>> file to a subfolder of the Application folder:
>> http://localhost/myApp/pdfs
>>
>> 1-
>> Over IIS I have set the "write permission" for this subfolder.
>> But each time I receive the message: "Can't open output file (bad

> filename,
>> in use by other application)", error 0x80040202

> The above step affects http access rights and is irrelevant to what you
> are
> doing. The dll is accessing the folder via the windows file system.
>
> You need to grant the IUSR_<machinename> user account Read Write access to
> folder you've created using windows explorer.
>

>> 2- a visual basic test application can call this DLL, generate and write

> the
>> file without problem to the folder
>>
>> 3- with ASP I generate the file in a normal folder (ie c:\temp), it works
>> Then my ASP page use FileSystemObject to copy this file to the folder
>> ..MyApp/pdfs
>> When I call this page there is no error message, but the programm runs

> utils
>> the line, where FileSystemObject to copy the file to the folder, then it
>> stops there. The process is hung (dead). The file is not copied...
>>
>> How can I do?

> --
> Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

Anthony Jones

"Thanh-Nhan Le" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23mL3c%(E-Mail Removed)...
> yes, thanks,
> can you tell me, how can I do it? I have tried it.
> My system is window XP professional SP2

In windows explorer navigate to the folder and right mouse click it. Select
properties from the menu. Click on the security tag. Click Add... If From
this location is not show the name of the machine click locations... click
on your machine name and click OK. Enter in box IUSR_<machinename>
(replacing <machinename> with the name of your machine). Click check names
and then OK. Make sure the IUSR_<machinename> is selected in the upper list
and make sure Modify and Read & Execute are checked in the lower list.
Click OK.

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

> "Anthony Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Thanh-Nhan Le" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have an ASP application on IIS server:
> >> http://localhost/myApp
> >> I use ASP and a my own VB activex DLL to create a pdf file and write

this
> >> file to a subfolder of the Application folder:
> >> http://localhost/myApp/pdfs
> >>
> >> 1-
> >> Over IIS I have set the "write permission" for this subfolder.
> >> But each time I receive the message: "Can't open output file (bad

> > filename,
> >> in use by other application)", error 0x80040202

> > The above step affects http access rights and is irrelevant to what you
> > are
> > doing. The dll is accessing the folder via the windows file system.
> >
> > You need to grant the IUSR_<machinename> user account Read Write access

> > folder you've created using windows explorer.
> >

> >> 2- a visual basic test application can call this DLL, generate and

write
> > the
> >> file without problem to the folder
> >>
> >> 3- with ASP I generate the file in a normal folder (ie c:\temp), it

works
> >> Then my ASP page use FileSystemObject to copy this file to the folder
> >> ..MyApp/pdfs
> >> When I call this page there is no error message, but the programm runs

> > utils
> >> the line, where FileSystemObject to copy the file to the folder, then

it
> >> stops there. The process is hung (dead). The file is not copied...
> >>
> >> How can I do?

> > --
> > Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

Thanh-Nhan Le

I knew this on windows NT 4. But on my machine I can see only 3 tabs:
General, Sharing und Customize
Somewhere,. something must be activated?
Please help

Thanks

"Anthony Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eMUuLJ%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Thanh-Nhan Le" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23mL3c%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> yes, thanks,
>> can you tell me, how can I do it? I have tried it.
>> My system is window XP professional SP2
>>

> In windows explorer navigate to the folder and right mouse click it.
> Select
> properties from the menu. Click on the security tag. Click Add... If
> From
> this location is not show the name of the machine click locations... click
> on your machine name and click OK. Enter in box IUSR_<machinename>
> (replacing <machinename> with the name of your machine). Click check
> names
> and then OK. Make sure the IUSR_<machinename> is selected in the upper
> list
> and make sure Modify and Read & Execute are checked in the lower list.
> Click OK.
>

> --
> Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
>
>> "Anthony Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > "Thanh-Nhan Le" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> this

>> > filename,
>> >

>> > The above step affects http access rights and is irrelevant to what you
>> > are
>> > doing. The dll is accessing the folder via the windows file system.
>> >
>> > You need to grant the IUSR_<machinename> user account Read Write access

>> > folder you've created using windows explorer.

> write
>> > the

> works
>> > utils

> it

>> > --
>> > Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

Bob Barrows [MVP]

You need to turn off "Simple File Sharing":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

Thanh-Nhan Le wrote:
> I knew this on windows NT 4. But on my machine I can see only 3 tabs:
> General, Sharing und Customize
> Somewhere,. something must be activated?
> Please help
>
> Thanks
>
> "Anthony Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eMUuLJ%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Thanh-Nhan Le" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%23mL3c%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> yes, thanks,
>>> can you tell me, how can I do it? I have tried it.
>>> My system is window XP professional SP2
>>>

>> In windows explorer navigate to the folder and right mouse click it.
>> Select
>> properties from the menu. Click on the security tag. Click Add...
>> If From
>> this location is not show the name of the machine click locations...
>> click on your machine name and click OK. Enter in box
>> IUSR_<machinename> (replacing <machinename> with the name of your
>> machine). Click check names
>> and then OK. Make sure the IUSR_<machinename> is selected in the
>> upper list
>> and make sure Modify and Read & Execute are checked in the lower
>> list. Click OK.
>>

>> --
>> Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
>>
>>> "Anthony Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Thanh-Nhan Le