Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > HTTP 401.1 error when using IP address...

Reply
Thread Tools

HTTP 401.1 error when using IP address...

 
 
msnews.microsoft.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2007
Our IT team relocated our application servers yesterday. They had to take
one machine out of the cluster because it would prompt users for credentials
if accessed using the IP address, which I guess is what happens when it is
accessed through the firewall. However, it works as expected when I use the
machine name in place of the IP address.

To summarize, the application servers were moved to a new hosting site and
one machine is behaving badly. Here are the scenarios:

If I access www.myfqdn.com from the internet and I happen to hit the server
that is misbehaving, I am presented with a windows logon prompt.

If I access http://machinename/myapp/mypage.aspx, then it works as expected.

If I access http://machineip/myapp/mypage.aspx, then I am presented with a
windows logon prompt.
Any clues or suggestions of where to ask this question would be greatly
appreciated.

Of course, cancelling the windows logon prompt results in the 401.1 error.

Carl


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bob Barrows [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2007
msnews.microsoft.com wrote:
> Our IT team relocated our application servers yesterday. They had to
> take one machine out of the cluster because it would prompt users for
> credentials if accessed using the IP address, which I guess is what
> happens when it is accessed through the firewall. However, it works
> as expected when I use the machine name in place of the IP address.
>
> To summarize, the application servers were moved to a new hosting
> site and one machine is behaving badly. Here are the scenarios:
>
> If I access www.myfqdn.com from the internet and I happen to hit the
> server that is misbehaving, I am presented with a windows logon
> prompt.
>
> If I access http://machinename/myapp/mypage.aspx, then it works as
> expected.
>
> If I access http://machineip/myapp/mypage.aspx, then I am presented
> with a windows logon prompt.
> Any clues or suggestions of where to ask this question would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Of course, cancelling the windows logon prompt results in the 401.1
> error.
>

You'll probably get more help for this in the iis group. Given that you
are talking about .aspx pages, this group which is a classic ASP group,
is not relevant.

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. The email account listed in my From
header is my spam trap, so I don't check it very often. You will get a
quicker response by posting to the newsgroup.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Anthony Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2007
"msnews.microsoft.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Our IT team relocated our application servers yesterday. They had to take
> one machine out of the cluster because it would prompt users for

credentials
> if accessed using the IP address, which I guess is what happens when it is
> accessed through the firewall. However, it works as expected when I use

the
> machine name in place of the IP address.
>
> To summarize, the application servers were moved to a new hosting site and
> one machine is behaving badly. Here are the scenarios:
>
> If I access www.myfqdn.com from the internet and I happen to hit the

server
> that is misbehaving, I am presented with a windows logon prompt.
>
> If I access http://machinename/myapp/mypage.aspx, then it works as

expected.
>
> If I access http://machineip/myapp/mypage.aspx, then I am presented with a
> windows logon prompt.
> Any clues or suggestions of where to ask this question would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Of course, cancelling the windows logon prompt results in the 401.1 error.
>


When using:-

http://machinename/myapp/mypage.aspx

You'll notice that the zone applied is Local Intranet. Which be default
will attempt to authorize using the current users credentials.

In the other cases the zone will be internet, which doesn't do this.

Add www.myfqdn.com to the list of domains recognised as local intranet (do
this via internet options in IE).

You can do the same for the IP but I would recommend that you simple don't
access the site using an IP anyway.


--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET


 
Reply With Quote
 
msnews.microsoft.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2007
"msnews.microsoft.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Our IT team relocated our application servers yesterday. They had to take
> one machine out of the cluster because it would prompt users for
> credentials if accessed using the IP address, which I guess is what
> happens when it is accessed through the firewall. However, it works as
> expected when I use the machine name in place of the IP address.
>
> To summarize, the application servers were moved to a new hosting site and
> one machine is behaving badly. Here are the scenarios:
>
> If I access www.myfqdn.com from the internet and I happen to hit the
> server that is misbehaving, I am presented with a windows logon prompt.
>
> If I access http://machinename/myapp/mypage.aspx, then it works as
> expected.
>
> If I access http://machineip/myapp/mypage.aspx, then I am presented with a
> windows logon prompt.
> Any clues or suggestions of where to ask this question would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Of course, cancelling the windows logon prompt results in the 401.1 error.
>
> Carl
>


Thank you both for your responses. I will check the IIS group.

Carl


 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Alton [MSFT]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2007
If you put in your credentials at the prompt does it work or does it just
fail 3 times and you get the 401?

If it works then you just need to modify your IE settings so it
automatically logs on to sites that are not in the "intranet" zone. If the
web site is in another zone Internet, Trusted Sites etc then it will pop up
the login prompt everytime. (Why it does that with trusted sites I'm not
sure).

To change this follow these steps:
1. open up IE go to Tools->Internet Options->Security Tab
2. Select the zone that the web site/server is showing up in (or add it to
trusted sites first so you only modify that zone since doing this on the
Internet zone can be a security risk)
3. Click "Custom Level"
4. Go to the very last item in the list "User Authentication->Logon"
5. Click the "Automatic logon with current user name and password".
6. Click OK

That should get it working for you.

If it doesn't work let me know and I'll see what I can figure out for you.

-------------------------------------
Chris Alton, Microsoft Corp.
SQL Server Developer Support Engineer
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
--------------------
> From: "msnews.microsoft.com" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Subject: HTTP 401.1 error when using IP address...
> Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:02:05 -0400
>
> Our IT team relocated our application servers yesterday. They had to

take
> one machine out of the cluster because it would prompt users for

credentials
> if accessed using the IP address, which I guess is what happens when it

is
> accessed through the firewall. However, it works as expected when I use

the
> machine name in place of the IP address.
>
> To summarize, the application servers were moved to a new hosting site

and
> one machine is behaving badly. Here are the scenarios:
>
> If I access www.myfqdn.com from the internet and I happen to hit the

server
> that is misbehaving, I am presented with a windows logon prompt.
>
> If I access http://machinename/myapp/mypage.aspx, then it works as

expected.
>
> If I access http://machineip/myapp/mypage.aspx, then I am presented with

a
> windows logon prompt.
> Any clues or suggestions of where to ask this question would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Of course, cancelling the windows logon prompt results in the 401.1 error.
>
> Carl
>
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Vagabond Software
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2007
Thanks Chris.

This is actually a publicly available website, such as microsoft.com. There
should be no authentication for anonymous users. We have three application
servers in the cluster. Two are working fine and the third is presenting
this logon prompt. Anthony Jones was correct in that accessing the machine
by name would use the "Local Intranet" zone to pass domain credentials to
the box.

Again, this is not an Intranet site. We are talking about a public Internet
website here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've also just found out that the machine was renamed during the move! It
was a subtle change. A dash ("-") was removed from the machine name. The
application servers were and remain joined to the domain.

Regards,

Carl

"Chris Alton [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you put in your credentials at the prompt does it work or does it just
> fail 3 times and you get the 401?
>
> If it works then you just need to modify your IE settings so it
> automatically logs on to sites that are not in the "intranet" zone. If the
> web site is in another zone Internet, Trusted Sites etc then it will pop
> up
> the login prompt everytime. (Why it does that with trusted sites I'm not
> sure).
>
> To change this follow these steps:
> 1. open up IE go to Tools->Internet Options->Security Tab
> 2. Select the zone that the web site/server is showing up in (or add it to
> trusted sites first so you only modify that zone since doing this on the
> Internet zone can be a security risk)
> 3. Click "Custom Level"
> 4. Go to the very last item in the list "User Authentication->Logon"
> 5. Click the "Automatic logon with current user name and password".
> 6. Click OK
>
> That should get it working for you.
>
> If it doesn't work let me know and I'll see what I can figure out for you.
>
> -------------------------------------
> Chris Alton, Microsoft Corp.
> SQL Server Developer Support Engineer
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights.
> --------------------
>> From: "msnews.microsoft.com" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Subject: HTTP 401.1 error when using IP address...
>> Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:02:05 -0400
>>
>> Our IT team relocated our application servers yesterday. They had to

> take
>> one machine out of the cluster because it would prompt users for

> credentials
>> if accessed using the IP address, which I guess is what happens when it

> is
>> accessed through the firewall. However, it works as expected when I use

> the
>> machine name in place of the IP address.
>>
>> To summarize, the application servers were moved to a new hosting site

> and
>> one machine is behaving badly. Here are the scenarios:
>>
>> If I access www.myfqdn.com from the internet and I happen to hit the

> server
>> that is misbehaving, I am presented with a windows logon prompt.
>>
>> If I access http://machinename/myapp/mypage.aspx, then it works as

> expected.
>>
>> If I access http://machineip/myapp/mypage.aspx, then I am presented with

> a
>> windows logon prompt.
>> Any clues or suggestions of where to ask this question would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Of course, cancelling the windows logon prompt results in the 401.1
>> error.
>>
>> Carl
>>
>>
>>

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Anthony Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2007

"Vagabond Software" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Chris.
>
> This is actually a publicly available website, such as microsoft.com.

There
> should be no authentication for anonymous users. We have three

application
> servers in the cluster. Two are working fine and the third is presenting
> this logon prompt. Anthony Jones was correct in that accessing the

machine
> by name would use the "Local Intranet" zone to pass domain credentials to
> the box.
>
> Again, this is not an Intranet site. We are talking about a public

Internet
> website here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I've also just found out that the machine was renamed during the move! It
> was a subtle change. A dash ("-") was removed from the machine name. The
> application servers were and remain joined to the domain.
>


Your IUSR_<machinename> account needs to have access to the files you wish
to serve. In the process of the move this has been damaged. Perhaps someone
has attempted to rename this user account.


--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET


 
Reply With Quote
 
Vagabond Software
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2007
Thanks Anthony. That was exactly the problem. Everything appears to be
working now.

Thanks all for your help.

Regards,

Carl

"Anthony Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Vagabond Software" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks Chris.
>>
>> This is actually a publicly available website, such as microsoft.com.

> There
>> should be no authentication for anonymous users. We have three

> application
>> servers in the cluster. Two are working fine and the third is presenting
>> this logon prompt. Anthony Jones was correct in that accessing the

> machine
>> by name would use the "Local Intranet" zone to pass domain credentials to
>> the box.
>>
>> Again, this is not an Intranet site. We are talking about a public

> Internet
>> website here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> I've also just found out that the machine was renamed during the move!
>> It
>> was a subtle change. A dash ("-") was removed from the machine name.
>> The
>> application servers were and remain joined to the domain.
>>

>
> Your IUSR_<machinename> account needs to have access to the files you wish
> to serve. In the process of the move this has been damaged. Perhaps
> someone
> has attempted to rename this user account.
>
>
> --
> Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Alton [MSFT]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-12-2007
The main reason I believed it was an Authentication issue was the 401.1
usually file based issues like your issue with the IUSR_Machine account
spit out a 401.3 error not a 401.1.

401.3 is access denied due to ACL on resource whereas 401.1 is logon failed.

Glad we did get it sorted out though and good luck.
-------------------------------------
Chris Alton, Microsoft Corp.
SQL Server Developer Support Engineer
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
--------------------
> From: "msnews.microsoft.com" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> References: <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Subject: Re: HTTP 401.1 error when using IP address...
> Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 11:05:36 -0400
> Lines: 32
>
> "msnews.microsoft.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Our IT team relocated our application servers yesterday. They had to

take
> > one machine out of the cluster because it would prompt users for
> > credentials if accessed using the IP address, which I guess is what
> > happens when it is accessed through the firewall. However, it works as
> > expected when I use the machine name in place of the IP address.
> >
> > To summarize, the application servers were moved to a new hosting site

and
> > one machine is behaving badly. Here are the scenarios:
> >
> > If I access www.myfqdn.com from the internet and I happen to hit the
> > server that is misbehaving, I am presented with a windows logon prompt.
> >
> > If I access http://machinename/myapp/mypage.aspx, then it works as
> > expected.
> >
> > If I access http://machineip/myapp/mypage.aspx, then I am presented

with a
> > windows logon prompt.
> > Any clues or suggestions of where to ask this question would be greatly
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Of course, cancelling the windows logon prompt results in the 401.1

error.
> >
> > Carl
> >

>
> Thank you both for your responses. I will check the IIS group.
>
> Carl
>
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HTTP SOAP/HTTP GET/HTTP POST milan_9211 Software 0 01-10-2011 02:10 PM
The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create or open the Web project located at the following URL: 'http://localhost/822319ev1'. 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error'. chanmm ASP .Net 2 09-07-2010 07:37 AM
Web Service Error : URL:'http://localhost/WebService1. HTTP/1.1 302 Found" hendy ASP .Net Web Services 0 12-20-2005 08:49 AM
URL: 'http://localhost/WebProject1', 'HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error' larkpics ASP .Net 9 10-22-2005 11:00 AM
Getting "HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden" at http://localhost/quickstart/ASPPlus/ Scott MCSD 1 08-04-2004 05:28 PM



Advertisments