Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Images TIFF in .aspx Web page

Images TIFF in .aspx Web page

Guillermo Jimenez

Hi....

Please help me with this case. I need to show an image .TIFF in a .aspx web
page. The web site is developer on Visual Studio 2005. The image control no
support this image format, that control i can use to show this format???

Thanks.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Guillermo Jimenez wrote:
> Hi....
>
> Please help me with this case. I need to show an image .TIFF in a
> .aspx web page. The web site is developer on Visual Studio 2005. The
> image control no support this image format, that control i can use to
> show this format???

recommended practice), but this is a classic asp newsgroup. ASP.Net is
a different technology from classic ASP. While you may be lucky enough
to find a dotnet-savvy person here who can answer your question, you
can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to a newsgroup
where the dotnet-savvy people hang out. I suggest
to help you.

I have no experience with TIFFs so I cannot answer this. I suspect a
standard html element might work but I won't guarantee it.
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed
=?Utf-8?B?R3VpbGxlcm1vIEppbWVuZXo=?=
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi....
>
> Please help me with this case. I need to show an image .TIFF in a
> .aspx web page. The web site is developer on Visual Studio 2005. The
> image control no support this image format, that control i can use to
> show this format???
>
> Thanks.

Browsers can only show gif, jpg and png (every once in a while, an odd
one will show a bmp). You would have to convert the TIFF to one of
those formats. I don't know if there if that is something that .net can
do, but I doubt it.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Anthony Jones

"Adrienne Boswell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns99BD4BC6FD6C9arbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121. ..
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed
> =?Utf-8?B?R3VpbGxlcm1vIEppbWVuZXo=?=
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Hi....
> >
> > Please help me with this case. I need to show an image .TIFF in a
> > .aspx web page. The web site is developer on Visual Studio 2005. The
> > image control no support this image format, that control i can use to
> > show this format???
> >
> > Thanks.

> Browsers can only show gif, jpg and png (every once in a while, an odd
> one will show a bmp). You would have to convert the TIFF to one of
> those formats. I don't know if there if that is something that .net can
> do, but I doubt it.

System.Drawing.Bitmap class can load a TIFF. It's save method can take an
image format parameter to specify the desired output encoding. So its
possible to simply save a JPEG or GIF directly to the Response.OutputStream.

Unfortunately both JPEG and GIF are lossy so PNG is best used if fidelity is
to be maintained. A problem with PNG is that for some reason can't be sent
directly to a stream. In which case a PNG file needs to be generated from
the Bitmap save method then the PNG file sent to the client.

--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET