Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Cannot pass session variable

Cannot pass session variable

hon123456

Dear all,

I have a session variable session("loginid) which can be
passed from A.asp to B.asp. Then In B.asp I have a hyperlink to C.asp
e.g. < A href..C.asp>. The session variable cannot be
passed to C.asp. The session variable is empty. What can I do to debug
this problem?

Thanks

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed hon123456 <peterhon321
@yahoo.com.hk> writing in news:1190730001.062425.173670@
50g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

> Dear all,
>
> I have a session variable session("loginid) which can be
> passed from A.asp to B.asp. Then In B.asp I have a hyperlink to C.asp
> e.g. < A href..C.asp>. The session variable cannot be
> passed to C.asp. The session variable is empty. What can I do to debug
> this problem?
>
> Thanks

The session variable should be there, unless:
1. you are destroying it
2. you are overwriting it with an empty value
3. you get up and take a hour long drive, then try the page
4. you are on another server

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Bob Barrows [MVP]

hon123456 wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have a session variable session("loginid) which can be
> passed from A.asp to B.asp. Then In B.asp I have a hyperlink to C.asp
> e.g. < A href..C.asp>. The session variable cannot be
> passed to C.asp. The session variable is empty. What can I do to debug
> this problem?

1. Session variables are not "passed" from one page to another. One page
sets a session variable value, which is stored in the server's memory.
When the next page is requested, it can read the value of the session
variable if it has been previously set.
2. Are all three pages in the same application/website? If not, you will
need to find another way to make the value available across
applications/websites: probably a database of some sort. If they are in
the same application, you need to show us how to reproduce the symptom
so we don't have to keep guessing.

This might help: http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2157

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Evertjan.

Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote on 25 sep 2007 in

> hon123456 wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I have a session variable session("loginid) which can be
>> passed from A.asp to B.asp. Then In B.asp I have a hyperlink to C.asp
>> e.g. < A href..C.asp>. The session variable cannot be
>> passed to C.asp. The session variable is empty. What can I do to debug
>> this problem?
>>

> 1. Session variables are not "passed" from one page to another. One page
> sets a session variable value, which is stored in the server's memory.
> When the next page is requested, it can read the value of the session
> variable if it has been previously set.
> 2. Are all three pages in the same application/website? If not, you will
> need to find another way to make the value available across
> applications/websites: probably a database of some sort. If they are in
> the same application, you need to show us how to reproduce the symptom
> so we don't have to keep guessing.
>
> This might help: http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2157

Also using session("loginid") in stead of session("loginid) could help.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.