Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > firebird 0.6.1 and evolution (???)

firebird 0.6.1 and evolution (???)

dj tuchler

This returns to a matter I had thought I had solved after getting advice
on this newsgroup. I want to get MozillaFirebird to call up my e-mail
application when clicking on an e-mail address while on line. I looked
for an extension but none seems to work. Is this simply not possible
right now? Is there a feature being worked on?

I think it reduces substantially the utility of a web browser if it cannot
cooperate with an e-mail application.

Thanks

dj tuchler

dj tuchler

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 13:57:19 -0400, wrote:

> dj tuchler wrote:
>> This returns to a matter I had thought I had solved after getting advice
>> on this newsgroup. I want to get MozillaFirebird to call up my e-mail
>> application when clicking on an e-mail address while on line. I looked
>> for an extension but none seems to work. Is this simply not possible
>> right now? Is there a feature being worked on?
>>
>> I think it reduces substantially the utility of a web browser if it
>> cannot cooperate with an e-mail application.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> dj tuchler

> I don't know what is different between your install and mine, but when I
> click on a mailto: link it opens my default mail program.

How did you set Firebird up for an external mail program?

Thanks

dj tuchler

dj tuchler

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 16:38:51 +0000, Graham wrote:

> Seeing that you use Linux (judging from your use of Pan), you can solve
> this by getting the extension Mozex: http://mozex.mozdev.org/index.html
> With this extension, you can get Mozilla Firebird to run different
> programs on link clicks (mailto, news, ftp, etc).

I looked for the mozex preferences example and tried it. Nothing. I
eliminated everything before the name of the email application and entered
evolution -s %s %a and got the evolution application, but not the message
editor with the address entered. Something is missing. What?

dj tuchler

dj tuchler

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 16:42:13 +0000, Graham wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 01:05:18 +0000, dj tuchler wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 16:38:51 +0000, Graham wrote:
>>
>>> Seeing that you use Linux (judging from your use of Pan), you can solve
>>> this by getting the extension Mozex: http://mozex.mozdev.org/index.html
>>> With this extension, you can get Mozilla Firebird to run different
>>> programs on link clicks (mailto, news, ftp, etc).

>> I looked for the mozex preferences example and tried it. Nothing. I
>> eliminated everything before the name of the email application and
>> entered evolution -s %s %a and got the evolution application, but not
>> the message editor with the address entered. Something is missing.
>> What?
>>
>> dj tuchler

> Once you have installed Mozex, go, in Firebird, to Tools>Options. After
> the preferences box pops up, go to Extensions, then click on Mozex 1.05
> (which is my version of Mozex), and then click on the button Settings.
> Check the box Intercept Mailto: Clicks. Then in the Mailer Commands box,
> type: "evolution mailto:%A?Subject=%S&Cc=%C&body=%B" (no quotes). Finally,
> click OK and then OK again. You might have to close and restart Firebird
> for the changes to take place, but I'm not sure (won't hurt).
>
> That should fix your problem. If not... then sorry, I can't help you.
>

> Graham

Thank you for your help.

dj tuchler