Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > password protected directories caching credentials

password protected directories caching credentials

stjulian

Well, thats what it looks like anyway.

Here's what happens:

A text file is generated and stored within a directory (a virtual directory)
within our website. The directory has permissions set (on the server) to
cause the username/password dialog to pop up once the text file URL or the
directory URL is clicked. Once you provide your credentials, the file or
directory is displayed in your browser.

The problem is, when you hit "back", the username/password dialog box keeps
popping up even though you are going back to a page which does not require a
username/password. And, no amount of influencing will convince the dialog
otherwise!

I am using IE 7. This seems to have cropped up recently.

Is there a fix for this behavior?

Is there a proper way to allow HTTP access to a directory and still require
the username and password?

Julian

stjulian

Also, the server is IIS 6.0 running on Server 2003.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...