Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Server Side Set of Request.Form Variables?

Server Side Set of Request.Form Variables?

Thomas Lunsford

I have inherited a set of asp pages that I now need to augment. In
order to minimize changes to production code, I would like to make a
"call" to an asp page from a new asp page. Existing code is using
many Request.Form variables, and I would very much prefer not to
change this code. The new page will retrieve data that I would like
to fill into Request.Form variables that are used in the old code.

So, is it possible for me to set Request.Form variables from within an
asp page and then fire off a second page that uses those variables as
well as any Request.Form variables that were passed to the original
page. Additionaly, it should all occur on the server, and the client
would only get a response after all on the server is complete.

Thanks.
-Thomas

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Thomas Lunsford wrote:
> I have inherited a set of asp pages that I now need to augment. In
> order to minimize changes to production code, I would like to make a
> "call" to an asp page from a new asp page. Existing code is using
> many Request.Form variables, and I would very much prefer not to
> change this code. The new page will retrieve data that I would like
> to fill into Request.Form variables that are used in the old code.
>
> So, is it possible for me to set Request.Form variables from within an
> asp page and then fire off a second page that uses those variables as
> well as any Request.Form variables that were passed to the original
> page. Additionaly, it should all occur on the server, and the client
> would only get a response after all on the server is complete.

No. the Request object collections are readonly.

However, you can use Server.Execute to execute code in another page

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Thomas Lunsford

On May 11, 12:18 pm, "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Thomas Lunsford wrote:
> > I have inherited a set of asp pages that I now need to augment. In
> > order to minimize changes to production code, I would like to make a
> > "call" to an asp page from a new asp page. Existing code is using
> > many Request.Form variables, and I would very much prefer not to
> > change this code. The new page will retrieve data that I would like
> > to fill into Request.Form variables that are used in the old code.

> > So, is it possible for me to set Request.Form variables from within an
> > asp page and then fire off a second page that uses those variables as
> > well as any Request.Form variables that were passed to the original
> > page. Additionaly, it should all occur on the server, and the client
> > would only get a response after all on the server is complete.

> No. the Request object collections are readonly.
>
> However, you can use Server.Execute to execute code in another page
>
> --
> Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Bob, Thanks for the reply. I have tried a number of things, and it
appears that I need to create and populate a form on my new page that
gets submitted to the other page. I would like to do this server side
only. Is this possible? I have tried ServerXMLHTTP, and which works
great, but Microsoft has warned against using it in IIS because it can
cause thread deadlocking. So, if I could just perform the submit from
the server, I think my problem would be solved.

-Thomas

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Thomas Lunsford wrote:
> On May 11, 12:18 pm, "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Thomas Lunsford wrote:
>>> I have inherited a set of asp pages that I now need to augment. In
>>> order to minimize changes to production code, I would like to make a
>>> "call" to an asp page from a new asp page. Existing code is using
>>> many Request.Form variables, and I would very much prefer not to
>>> change this code. The new page will retrieve data that I would like
>>> to fill into Request.Form variables that are used in the old code.

>>> So, is it possible for me to set Request.Form variables from within
>>> an asp page and then fire off a second page that uses those
>>> variables as well as any Request.Form variables that were passed to
>>> the original page. Additionaly, it should all occur on the server,
>>> and the client would only get a response after all on the server is
>>> complete.

>> No. the Request object collections are readonly.
>>
>> However, you can use Server.Execute to execute code in another page
>>

> Bob, Thanks for the reply. I have tried a number of things, and it
> appears that I need to create and populate a form on my new page that
> gets submitted to the other page. I would like to do this server side
> only. Is this possible? I have tried ServerXMLHTTP, and which works
> great, but Microsoft has warned against using it in IIS because it can
> cause thread deadlocking.

Could you provide a citation for this? I know they advise against using
the XMLHTTPRequest object in server-side code, but I've never seen an
admonishment against using the XMLHTTPServer object which was designed
to be used in the IIS environment.
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Thomas Lunsford

The following link is a newsgroup posting from a Microsoft employee...

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...0c25d38c8680c2

Our production environment is hallowed ground, so I'm leery of taking
chances, especially after reading the posting in the above link. I
have not yet found a good explanation of all the repercussions of
Isolated Application Protection in IIS, so that spooks me a bit.

I would like to know whether using ServerXMLHTTP is common practice
and whether it has other known limitations/problems. I'm still
learning and researching.

Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
-Thomas

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Thomas Lunsford wrote:
> The following link is a newsgroup posting from a Microsoft employee...
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...0c25d38c8680c2
>
> Our production environment is hallowed ground, so I'm leery of taking
> chances, especially after reading the posting in the above link. I
> have not yet found a good explanation of all the repercussions of
> Isolated Application Protection in IIS, so that spooks me a bit.
>
> I would like to know whether using ServerXMLHTTP is common practice
> and whether it has other known limitations/problems. I'm still
> learning and researching.
>
> Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Ah! Now I remember that.
I did not realize you were posting back to the same server.

There are no repercussions outside of extra resource use to using Isolated
Application Protection that i am aware of.

That post was written back in 2001 so this may no longer be an issue for
IIS6. I will run it by my fellow mvps.

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

Thomas Lunsford

Great. Thanks for the update. I am interested in hearing what your
colleagues have to say.

Thanks again.
-Thomas

Evertjan.

Thomas Lunsford wrote on 16 mei 2007 in

> Great. Thanks for the update. I am interested in hearing what your
> colleagues have to say.

What update?

[please always quote on usenet]

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Thomas Lunsford

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote:
> Thomas Lunsford wrote:
>> The following link is a newsgroup posting from a Microsoft
>> employee...

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...0c25d38c8680c2

>> Our production environment is hallowed ground, so I'm leery of taking
>> chances, especially after reading the posting in the above link. I
>> have not yet found a good explanation of all the repercussions of
>> Isolated Application Protection in IIS, so that spooks me a bit.
>>
>> I would like to know whether using ServerXMLHTTP is common practice
>> and whether it has other known limitations/problems. I'm still
>> learning and researching.
>>
>> Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.
>>

> Ah! Now I remember that.
> I did not realize you were posting back to the same server.
>
> There are no repercussions outside of extra resource use to using
> Isolated Application Protection that i am aware of.
>
> That post was written back in 2001 so this may no longer be an issue
> for IIS6. I will run it by my fellow mvps.

No replies to my queries as yet. However, I do want to point out that
the version of ServerXMLHTTP in that article was 4.0. Version 6 of the
MSXML Parser is the current version. Unfortunately, I do not know if the
new version corrects the problem pointed out in that article. I'm not
even certain whom I could ask, given the .Net emphasis these days.

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET