Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Problem creating ASP website on server running sharepoint services

Problem creating ASP website on server running sharepoint services

Alastair Bell

I am having trouble creating a web site on a server running sharepoint
services.
I am creating an ASP.Net website using Visual Studio 2005. The server I am
trying to create it on is a Windows 2003 server.

From what I understand I need to exclude in sharepoint services the folder
where the application will be deployed. I have done this in the Define
Managed Paths section of the Sharepoint management site, but it has no
effect. Even after I have done this and then attempt to create the ASP.Net
website in Visual Studio I get the error message.

"Visual Web Developer does not support opening Sharepoint web sites. See
help for more details".

Hence despite excluding the folder, the website still attempts to deploy
into Sharepoint Services instead of the IIS. This is backed up by the fact
that I can then see the website listed in "Sites and Workspaces" in
Sharepoint.

Would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me with this problem.

--
Regards
Alastair Bell

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Alastair Bell wrote:
> I am having trouble creating a web site on a server running sharepoint
> services.
> I am creating an ASP.Net website using Visual Studio 2005. The server
> I am trying to create it on is a Windows 2003 server.

recommended practice), but this is a classic asp newsgroup. ASP.Net is
a different technology from classic ASP. While you may be lucky enough
to find a dotnet-savvy person here who can answer your question, you
can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to a newsgroup
where the dotnet-savvy people hang out. I suggest
to help you.

Actually, the vsnet groups would probably be more appropriate for this
question, but I may be wrong.

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Alastair Bell

Bob, thankyou for that information, I will try your suggestions.
--
Alastair Bell