Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Classic ASP sytem needs to support Chinese data entry - to do list

Reply
Thread Tools

Classic ASP sytem needs to support Chinese data entry - to do list

 
 
Carlin Anderson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-16-2007
I have a large classic ASP web application which needs to now support chinese
character entry (I don't have to worry about the UI yet - the data entry
people can read english). Other than changing the database fields over to
"N" data types, do I need to do anything to the actual entry fields (input,
textbox) on the various forms to be able to capture the information. Some
users will be entering the information in english, while others will be
translating the same info into chinese as they enter it.

I know this is probably much easier in .net, but we have yet made that
transition. Now that 2.0 is available, it should be much more viable.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Carlin
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Anthony Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-16-2007

"Carlin Anderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a large classic ASP web application which needs to now support

chinese
> character entry (I don't have to worry about the UI yet - the data entry
> people can read english). Other than changing the database fields over to
> "N" data types, do I need to do anything to the actual entry fields

(input,
> textbox) on the various forms to be able to capture the information.

Some
> users will be entering the information in english, while others will be
> translating the same info into chinese as they enter it.
>
> I know this is probably much easier in .net, but we have yet made that
> transition. Now that 2.0 is available, it should be much more viable.
>
> Any assistance is appreciated.
>
> Carlin


You will need the Form pages to be sent as UTF-8 and the client informed of
that choice.

Response.Codepage = 65001
Response.CharSet = "UTF-8"

If your existing page contains characters outside the standard ASCII set
save the file as UTF-8.

Now this is important, any page receiving a POST from such a form MUST
specify Response.CodePage = 65001 before it attempts to retrieve values from
the form fields.

With that done and NVARCHAR fields in place you should be ok.

Anthony.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
michal
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-17-2007
a meta tag in all pages to indicate the encoding:
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

>Now this is important, any page receiving a POST from such a form MUST
>specify Response.CodePage = 65001 before it attempts to retrieve values from
>the form fields.

Thats very important!

On Apr 17, 12:02 am, "Anthony Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Carlin Anderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> messagenews(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>
>
>
>
> > I have a large classic ASP web application which needs to now support

> chinese
> > character entry (I don't have to worry about the UI yet - the data entry
> > people can read english). Other than changing the database fields over to
> > "N" data types, do I need to do anything to the actual entry fields

> (input,
> > textbox) on the various forms to be able to capture the information.

> Some
> > users will be entering the information in english, while others will be
> > translating the same info into chinese as they enter it.

>
> > I know this is probably much easier in .net, but we have yet made that
> > transition. Now that 2.0 is available, it should be much more viable.

>
> > Any assistance is appreciated.

>
> > Carlin

>
> You will need the Form pages to be sent as UTF-8 and the client informed of
> that choice.
>
> Response.Codepage = 65001
> Response.CharSet = "UTF-8"
>
> If your existing page contains characters outside the standard ASCII set
> save the file as UTF-8.
>
> Now this is important, any page receiving a POST from such a form MUST
> specify Response.CodePage = 65001 before it attempts to retrieve values from
> the form fields.
>
> With that done and NVARCHAR fields in place you should be ok.
>
> Anthony.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -



 
Reply With Quote
 
Anthony Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-17-2007

"michal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> a meta tag in all pages to indicate the encoding:
> <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">


Since the actual content-type header already contains this value why is this
meta tag needed?


 
Reply With Quote
 
michal
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-17-2007
for instance for search engines

On Apr 17, 10:26 am, "Anthony Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "michal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
> > a meta tag in all pages to indicate the encoding:
> > <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

>
> Since the actual content-type header already contains this value why is this
> meta tag needed?



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Allowing entry of a Carriage Return during data entry Mike Owen ASP .Net Web Controls 3 07-27-2006 02:34 PM
OE Icon in sytem tray. Classic 42 Computer Support 4 12-24-2004 08:01 PM
Re: How do I translate a Chinese web site and add Chinese character set to IE..? =A0 - =A0 Taking these two questions one at a time... =A Patrick Dunford NZ Computing 3 04-28-2004 07:15 PM
Sytem date Monika Talwar VHDL 2 02-11-2004 11:16 AM
How to Empty Sytem.in Alvaro Puente Java 1 12-15-2003 11:33 AM



Advertisments