Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Doubt asp / asp.net

Doubt asp / asp.net

Paulo

Hi everybody, I tried my best to understand asp.net, but I didnt like, I ve
been programming classic asp for over 6 years, so I would like to know from
you if there is any need to migrate asp pages do asp.net? All what is done
with asp.net can be done with classic asp? What do you think about it?

Thanks the opinions!

Bye

Paulo

michal

i think there is no real need to move if you are smart, really know
what you do and know how things work... an example: yeah webservice
are around and many say they are not supported in classic asp. hey if
you know the idea behind its no problem to hack it yourself or browse
the net for it... the nice thing then: no blown up IDE, no compiling,
no DLLs, no autogenerated code, etc.....

i have created a framework which i can use for all my web-apps and its
working perfect...

btw: nice article jon havent seen this yet...

On Mar 30, 5:15 am, "Jon Paal [MSMD]" <Jon nospam Paal @ everywhere
dot com> wrote:
> you might enjoy this reading...
>
> http://www.packtpub.com/article/Classic-ASP
>
> Also you might be interested in this :
>
> http://www.claspdev.com/ASPFramework/newhelp/index.asp

Anthony Jones

"Paulo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everybody, I tried my best to understand asp.net, but I didnt like, I

ve
> been programming classic asp for over 6 years, so I would like to know

from
> you if there is any need to migrate asp pages do asp.net?

No.

> All what is done with asp.net can be done with classic asp?

Asp.Net can do more than ASP alone. It has the whole .NET framework to call
on which raw ASP doesn't and is capable of expressing system compexities
well beyond what is practical in the script languages used by ASP.

However couple ASP with VB6 which gives you access to the windows API and
allows for more complex apps to be built and I doubt you could ever say you
_need_ Asp.Net.

>What do you think about it?

There are wider issues than the technical ones driving this.

Who is going to be maintaining your code in the future? If your busness
grows will you need inexperienced junior talent in your company? Will they
be tempted to come and learn Classic ASP? 5 years ago how much interest was
there in learning COBOL? An uncomfortable comparison but if recruitment is
an issue you need to see it through eyes of those you are recruiting.

Does building with ASP.NET giving you an edge in the market? Some
procurement exercises may have it (misguided or not) on the tick list of
suitablility. Of course in-house development doesn't have this problem.

ASP.NET is sluggish and has a slower than expected take up now but where
will it be in 2 years time? 5 years time? When in that time frame would you
like to be a beginner and when would you like to be an expert?

Is MS going to abandon .NET putting it's hands saying 'nope that was bad
choice'? The answer's obvious but what does it imply?

Given a green field I would build with ASP.NET. Given an existing building I
would seek to clear small (non-critical) places where building with ASP.NET
is possible.

Anthony.