Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > generate xml without need to persist it in a file?

generate xml without need to persist it in a file?

keyser soze

hi
i get data with ado
i need to get a xml string from the recordset

how can i get it
without having to persist the recordset
in a (xml) text file

is there a simple way ?

thanks !!
ks

keyser soze

that is,
without having to do
my own function for :
- getrows
- scan array
- format text
- merge
- end scan
- return xml

because
i think that could be more expensive
(in computational terms)

thanks
ks

"keyser soze" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| hi
| i get data with ado
| i need to get a xml string from the recordset
|
| how can i get it
| without having to persist the recordset
| in a (xml) text file
|
| is there a simple way ?
|
| thanks !!
| ks

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Look at the code in the "Data Island" sample here:
http://www.davidpenton.com/testsite/tips/

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

keyser soze

thanks bob,

but i need to "response.write" a xml string

it's strange that there is no method
to get a string from the xmldom object

in fact,
there is a method to construct the xmldom object
from a string , with "loadXML"

if i must persist xml strings
one little problem is the xml file name
but a major one, is to have a kind of garbage
to delete files

there is no other way ?
am i wrong ?

thanks ! ks

"Bob Barrows [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
| Look at the code in the "Data Island" sample here:
| http://www.davidpenton.com/testsite/tips/
|
| keyser soze wrote:
| > that is,
| > without having to do
| > my own function for :
| > - getrows
| > - scan array
| > - format text
| > - merge
| > - end scan
| > - return xml
| >
| > because
| > i think that could be more expensive
| > (in computational terms)
| >
| > thanks
| > ks
| >

| > "keyser soze" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje
| > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| >> hi
| >> i get data with ado
| >> i need to get a xml string from the recordset
| >>
| >> how can i get it
| >> without having to persist the recordset
| >> in a (xml) text file
| >>
| >> is there a simple way ?
| >>
| >> thanks !!
| >> ks
|
| --
| Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
| Please reply to the newsgroup. The email account listed in my From
| header is my spam trap, so I don't check it very often. You will get a
| quicker response by posting to the newsgroup.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

keyser soze wrote:
> thanks bob,
>
> but i need to "response.write" a xml string

Huh? The example shows how to do it!

> it's strange that there is no method
> to get a string from the xmldom object

Again, huh!?!?

What about

response.write xmldoc.xml

??

> in fact,
> there is a method to construct the xmldom object
> from a string , with "loadXML"
>
> if i must persist xml strings
> one little problem is the xml file name
> but a major one, is to have a kind of garbage
> to delete files
>
> there is no other way ?
> am i wrong ?
>
> thanks ! ks
>
> "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Look at the code in the "Data Island" sample here:
>> http://www.davidpenton.com/testsite/tips/
>>
>> keyser soze wrote:
>>> that is,
>>> without having to do
>>> my own function for :
>>> - getrows
>>> - scan array
>>> - format text
>>> - merge
>>> - end scan
>>> - return xml
>>>
>>> because
>>> i think that could be more expensive
>>> (in computational terms)
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> ks
>>>

>>> "keyser soze" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> --
>> Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET