Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > why I need to click refresh button in order to see session values

why I need to click refresh button in order to see session values

c676228

Hi all,
Recently, I just found out that our program behaves differently from before.

in our asp, in order to prevent data disppearing problem in form fields,we
use session variable to display the field values if a customer click "back"
button on the page2.asp in the browser,(the session variables
Session(aQuoteName(iPerson)&"TripCost") is set up in the page2.asp) i.e.
then in the page1.asp, we use:
<input name="<%=aQuoteName(iPerson)& "TripCost" %>" type="text" size="6"
value="<%=Session(aQuoteName(iPerson)&"TripCost")% >">
to display the tripcost. This works very well in the past all the time. But
today, when I do the similar programming, whenever I click "back" button on
page2.asp, the data on the page1.asp all disappeared and I have to click
"refresh" button on page1.asp in order to display all the session variables.
What's going on, does this have to have something to do with window security
patches, I didn't have anything changed in the program or IIS configuration.
I also test the production version, same thing happened which it never
happend before???
Can you shed a light on me?
--
Betty

Anthony Jones

"c676228" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
> Recently, I just found out that our program behaves differently from

before.

> in our asp, in order to prevent data disppearing problem in form fields,we
> use session variable to display the field values if a customer click

"back"
> button on the page2.asp in the browser,(the session variables
> Session(aQuoteName(iPerson)&"TripCost") is set up in the page2.asp) i.e.
> then in the page1.asp, we use:
> <input name="<%=aQuoteName(iPerson)& "TripCost" %>" type="text" size="6"
> value="<%=Session(aQuoteName(iPerson)&"TripCost")% >">
> to display the tripcost. This works very well in the past all the time.

But
> today, when I do the similar programming, whenever I click "back" button

on
> page2.asp, the data on the page1.asp all disappeared and I have to click
> "refresh" button on page1.asp in order to display all the session

variables.
> What's going on, does this have to have something to do with window

security
> patches, I didn't have anything changed in the program or IIS

configuration.
> I also test the production version, same thing happened which it never
> happend before???
> Can you shed a light on me?

Are you sure it was working before? The browser is not obliged to re-fetch
the previous page from the origin server when you hit the back button. In
fact in my experience it rarely does.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Betty,

As for the behavior you mentioned, I've try testing it on my local side and
seems haven't been able to repro the exact same symptom. Have you tried
visiting that page from different client machine to see if you'll get the
consistent result?

One thing I could get is the client-browser caching, however, normally
client cache will also display the input values from previous view. Anyway,
you can try add the following like code snippet to disable client cache for
your input page to see whether it can help some.

============================
<%
pStr = "private, no-cache, must-revalidate"
Response.ExpiresAbsolute = #2000-01-01#
Response.AddHeader "pragma", "no-cache"
Response.AddHeader "cache-control", pStr
%>
<head>
<title>Untitled Page</title>
</head>
<form id="form1" method="post" action="test.asp">
<input id="Text1" name="Text1" type="text" value='<%= Session("Text1")
%>' />
<input id="Text2" name="Text2" type="text" value='<%= Session("Text2")
%>' />
<input id="Submit1" type="submit" value="submit" />

</form>

=============================

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

c676228

Yes, Anthony. It worked perfectly fine. The reason I am 100% sure is before
we never used session variables to retain field values in the form and a lot
of customers complained about and I fixed that long time ago after using
session variables and shocked yesterday, it doesn't work that way anymore.
--
Betty

"Anthony Jones" wrote:

> "c676228" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all,
> > Recently, I just found out that our program behaves differently from

> before.
> >
> > in our asp, in order to prevent data disppearing problem in form fields,we
> > use session variable to display the field values if a customer click

> "back"
> > button on the page2.asp in the browser,(the session variables
> > Session(aQuoteName(iPerson)&"TripCost") is set up in the page2.asp) i.e.
> > then in the page1.asp, we use:
> > <input name="<%=aQuoteName(iPerson)& "TripCost" %>" type="text" size="6"
> > value="<%=Session(aQuoteName(iPerson)&"TripCost")% >">
> > to display the tripcost. This works very well in the past all the time.

> But
> > today, when I do the similar programming, whenever I click "back" button

> on
> > page2.asp, the data on the page1.asp all disappeared and I have to click
> > "refresh" button on page1.asp in order to display all the session

> variables.
> > What's going on, does this have to have something to do with window

> security
> > patches, I didn't have anything changed in the program or IIS

> configuration.
> > I also test the production version, same thing happened which it never
> > happend before???
> > Can you shed a light on me?

> Are you sure it was working before? The browser is not obliged to re-fetch
> the previous page from the origin server when you hit the back button. In
> fact in my experience it rarely does.

c676228

Superb, Steven, your code works perfectly fine. After I cut and pasted that
part into my page1.asp. It behaves as I expected. Can you recommand me
several resouces(web site, book etc.) that I can refer that part of
knowledge. Response.AddHeader...
You are my lucky star.
--
Betty

"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Betty,
>
> As for the behavior you mentioned, I've try testing it on my local side and
> seems haven't been able to repro the exact same symptom. Have you tried
> visiting that page from different client machine to see if you'll get the
> consistent result?
>
> One thing I could get is the client-browser caching, however, normally
> client cache will also display the input values from previous view. Anyway,
> you can try add the following like code snippet to disable client cache for
> your input page to see whether it can help some.
>

> ============================
> <%
> pStr = "private, no-cache, must-revalidate"
> Response.ExpiresAbsolute = #2000-01-01#
> Response.AddHeader "pragma", "no-cache"
> Response.AddHeader "cache-control", pStr
> %>
> <head>
> <title>Untitled Page</title>
> </head>
> <form id="form1" method="post" action="test.asp">
> <input id="Text1" name="Text1" type="text" value='<%= Session("Text1")
> %>' />
> <input id="Text2" name="Text2" type="text" value='<%= Session("Text2")
> %>' />
> <input id="Submit1" type="submit" value="submit" />
>
> </form>

> =============================
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Steven Cheng
>
> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

> ications.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Betty,

I'm glad that the suggestion is of assistance. I'm not sure about any books
on classic ASP since ASP.NET is currently popluar for web application
dev. For resource site, I think the FAQ site below is quite good:

http://tutorials.aspfaq.com/

You can find many useful suggestion for classic ASP there.

BTW, I've also point it in your another thread "multiple image button
submit..."

Hope this also helps.