Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Problem with an .asp page displaying data based on a form field value.

Problem with an .asp page displaying data based on a form field value.

Brave

I'm hoping someone can help me with a small issue.

I have an asp page that displays informaton from an Access database.
I want to create a form that allows users to display only data that
matches their search criteria.

I have made many forms like this in Front Page with the Database
results wizard, but I want to manually code it.

Here is the code I use to display the data from a database.

<%
Set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Conn.Open "driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};;DBQ=\\****\****
\DatabaseName.mdb;"
mySQL="SELECT * FROM DatabaseTableName WHERE (TableFieldName =
'FieldValue') ORDER BY TableFieldName ASC"
Set RS = Conn.Execute(mySQL)
If RS.EOF and RS.BOF Then
Response.Write("<font face=""verdana"" size=""2""><p>No records
returned.</p>")

Else

Response.Write "<table><tr>"
Response.Write "</tr>"

Do While Not RS.EOF

Response.Write "<tr>"
Response.Write "<td>"&RS("FieldValue")&"</td>"
Response.Write "</tr>"

RS.MoveNext
Loop
End If

Response.Write "</table>"

RS.Close
Conn.Close
Set RS = Nothing
Set Conn = Nothing
%>

What I want to do is add a form like the one below that user can use
to determine the "field value" that is displayed.

NAME="FormField" VALUE="<%=Request("FormFieldValue")%>"

So if they type in "Smith" they get all entries that have a field
value of Smith

I'm not sure how to write the query so it looks at the form for the
value it uses to display information.

Any code examples would help me a great deal as I seem to be close,
but I cannot "connect" to two elements.

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this, and for any assiatance
you can offer.

Patrick

I think you want something like this:

mySQL="SELECT * FROM DatabaseTableName WHERE (TableFieldName='" &
Request.Form("FieldValue") & "') ORDER BY TableFieldName ASC"

It's a single quote followed by doublequotes after TableFieldName=, and
doublequotes followed by a single quote before the ORDER BY

"Brave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I'm hoping someone can help me with a small issue.
>
> I have an asp page that displays informaton from an Access database.
> I want to create a form that allows users to display only data that
> matches their search criteria.
>
> I have made many forms like this in Front Page with the Database
> results wizard, but I want to manually code it.
>
> Here is the code I use to display the data from a database.
>
> <%
> Set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
> Conn.Open "driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};;DBQ=\\****\****
> \DatabaseName.mdb;"
> mySQL="SELECT * FROM DatabaseTableName WHERE (TableFieldName =
> 'FieldValue') ORDER BY TableFieldName ASC"
> Set RS = Conn.Execute(mySQL)
> If RS.EOF and RS.BOF Then
> Response.Write("<font face=""verdana"" size=""2""><p>No records
> returned.</p>")
>
> Else
>
> Response.Write "<table><tr>"
> Response.Write "</tr>"
>
> Do While Not RS.EOF
>
> Response.Write "<tr>"
> Response.Write "<td>"&RS("FieldValue")&"</td>"
> Response.Write "</tr>"
>
> RS.MoveNext
> Loop
> End If
>
> Response.Write "</table>"
>
> RS.Close
> Conn.Close
> Set RS = Nothing
> Set Conn = Nothing
> %>
>
> What I want to do is add a form like the one below that user can use
> to determine the "field value" that is displayed.

> NAME="FormField" VALUE="<%=Request("FormFieldValue")%>"
>
> So if they type in "Smith" they get all entries that have a field
> value of Smith
>
> I'm not sure how to write the query so it looks at the form for the
> value it uses to display information.
>
> Any code examples would help me a great deal as I seem to be close,
> but I cannot "connect" to two elements.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to read all of this, and for any assiatance
> you can offer.

Brave

On Feb 16, 1:33 am, "Patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I think you want something like this:
>
> mySQL="SELECT * FROM DatabaseTableName WHERE (TableFieldName='" &
> Request.Form("FieldValue") & "') ORDER BY TableFieldName ASC"
>
> It's a single quote followed by doublequotes after TableFieldName=, and
> doublequotes followed by a single quote before the ORDER BY
>
> "Brave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>

> > I'm hoping someone can help me with a small issue.

> > I have an asp page that displays informaton from an Access database.
> > I want to create a form that allows users to display only data that
> > matches their search criteria.

> > I have made many forms like this in Front Page with the Database
> > results wizard, but I want to manually code it.

> > Here is the code I use to display the data from a database.

> > <%
> > Set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
> > Conn.Open "driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};;DBQ=\\****\****
> > \DatabaseName.mdb;"
> > mySQL="SELECT * FROM DatabaseTableName WHERE (TableFieldName =
> > 'FieldValue') ORDER BY TableFieldName ASC"
> > Set RS = Conn.Execute(mySQL)
> > If RS.EOF and RS.BOF Then
> > Response.Write("<font face=""verdana"" size=""2""><p>No records
> > returned.</p>")

> > Else

> > Response.Write "<table><tr>"
> > Response.Write "</tr>"

> > Do While Not RS.EOF

> > Response.Write "<tr>"
> > Response.Write "<td>"&RS("FieldValue")&"</td>"
> > Response.Write "</tr>"

> > RS.MoveNext
> > Loop
> > End If

> > Response.Write "</table>"

> > RS.Close
> > Conn.Close
> > Set RS = Nothing
> > Set Conn = Nothing
> > %>

> > What I want to do is add a form like the one below that user can use
> > to determine the "field value" that is displayed.

> > NAME="FormField" VALUE="<%=Request("FormFieldValue")%>"

> > So if they type in "Smith" they get all entries that have a field
> > value of Smith

> > I'm not sure how to write the query so it looks at the form for the
> > value it uses to display information.

> > Any code examples would help me a great deal as I seem to be close,
> > but I cannot "connect" to two elements.

> > Thanks for taking the time to read all of this, and for any assiatance
> > you can offer.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks so much. I will give it a try.