Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Alternative querystring - using / instead of ? and &

Alternative querystring - using / instead of ? and &

royend@gmail.com

Hi.
Is is possible to pass parameters with this URL:
www.mysite.com/article/sports/football

instead of the usual method:
http://www.mysite.com/article.asp?ca...egory=football

And, if I need to add more parameters at a later time, may I then use
something like:
http://www.mysite.com/article/sports...21&language=EN

Also, I am using ASP, not ASP.NET.

Every advice appreciated.
Thanks.

Dave Anderson

> Hi.
> Is is possible to pass parameters with this URL:
> www.mysite.com/article/sports/football
>
> instead of the usual method:
> http://www.mysite.com/article.asp?ca...egory=football
>
> And, if I need to add more parameters at a later time, may I then use
> something like:
> http://www.mysite.com/article/sports...21&language=EN
>
> Also, I am using ASP, not ASP.NET.

You can use a custom 404 handler to parse requests in the manner you desire.
We used to do this a lot when our company used GroupWise instead of Outlook
(GroupWise apparently didn't know what a querystring was until a couple of
years ago, but didn't mind URLs with long paths).

--
Dave Anderson

Farshad Hemmati

The best way to do this is to use an ISAPI filter. There are a few free ones
out there, but I personally bought ISAPI_Rewrite which works really well and
is stable.

You can find it at:
http://www.helicontech.com/

If you search for "ISAPI URL rewrite" on google, you will find a few free
ones. If you couldn't find one, reply to this and I'll find you the free
ones as well. But I recommend the above one because it is more stable with
heavier loads.

PS. Don't use the 404 rewrites, because the user will actually be redirected
which will show an ugly URL when this happens.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi.
> Is is possible to pass parameters with this URL:
> www.mysite.com/article/sports/football
>
> instead of the usual method:
> http://www.mysite.com/article.asp?ca...egory=football
>
> And, if I need to add more parameters at a later time, may I then use
> something like:
> http://www.mysite.com/article/sports...21&language=EN
>
> Also, I am using ASP, not ASP.NET.
>
> Every advice appreciated.
> Thanks.

Evertjan.

Farshad Hemmati wrote on 14 feb 2007 in

> PS. Don't use the 404 rewrites, because the user will actually be
> redirected which will show an ugly URL when this happens.

But, as I do and you [general] should,
you use bitstream or server.transfer,
the original URL-string will be shown where no actual file exists.

All my pdf files are virtual,
as I first want to count, look at the referrer,
and then send the pdf bitstream with proper headers.

The same goes for nonexisting img-s where a standart jpg is shown
on some of my websites.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Alternative options for when QueryString exceeds IE URL length lim Adam Eccleshall ASP .Net Web Services 3 09-01-2009 11:21 AM
How to get value of QueryString inside QueryString Mehdi ASP .Net 6 04-06-2006 03:41 PM
Passing QueryString URL as a paremeter in QueryString Adeel Ahmad ASP General 1 03-07-2006 02:05 PM
QueryString alternative Mehdi ASP .Net 6 08-01-2004 03:55 PM
request instead of request.QueryString Ivan ASP General 5 07-21-2004 02:45 AM

Advertisments