Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Session() variables question

Session() variables question

Griff

I have an ASP [Classic] application running under IIS 5 & 6 [on different
servers (obviously)]

I need to implement Session() variables to cache some frequently looked up
data. Because of the nature of the data, it is best held in the Session()
rather than the Application() object.

My question is: Is there a limit to the how long the parameter name can be?
For example:

Session("HairColour") - the parameter name length her is 10 characters -
what's the max length (is there a max length)?

I ask because my code will generate these parameter names on the fly and I
don't want them to break anything.....

Thanks in advance

Griff

Anthony Jones

"Griff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have an ASP [Classic] application running under IIS 5 & 6 [on different
> servers (obviously)]
>
> I need to implement Session() variables to cache some frequently looked up
> data. Because of the nature of the data, it is best held in the Session()
> rather than the Application() object.
>
> My question is: Is there a limit to the how long the parameter name can

be?
> For example:
>
> Session("HairColour") - the parameter name length her is 10 characters -
> what's the max length (is there a max length)?
>
> I ask because my code will generate these parameter names on the fly and I
> don't want them to break anything.....

There is no theoretical limit. Of course using names that are 1K in size
and varying only on the last few characters is going to have some
performance problems.