Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > ASP Error: HTTP 404 - File not found

ASP Error: HTTP 404 - File not found

kianskee@gmail.com

I am encountering an error HTTP 404 - File not found. It seems that
when I upload a file with a symbol # in the filename, this error
occurs (e.g. case#2.pdf). I cannot access the file I uploaded. But
when I upload the same file with a different filename or just without
the symbol # (e.g. case2.pdf) , it works I can access the file. Why is
this the case?

Bob Barrows [MVP]

> I am encountering an error HTTP 404 - File not found. It seems that
> when I upload a file with a symbol # in the filename, this error
> occurs (e.g. case#2.pdf). I cannot access the file I uploaded. But
> when I upload the same file with a different filename or just without
> the symbol # (e.g. case2.pdf) , it works I can access the file. Why is
> this the case?

I've never run into this. Could you show the code that is failing to access
the file?

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

Mark J. McGinty

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I am encountering an error HTTP 404 - File not found. It seems that
> when I upload a file with a symbol # in the filename, this error
> occurs (e.g. case#2.pdf). I cannot access the file I uploaded. But
> when I upload the same file with a different filename or just without
> the symbol # (e.g. case2.pdf) , it works I can access the file. Why is
> this the case?

Because the hashmark has special meaning in a URL, you'd need to escape it
in the URL, otherwise the portion after the hashmark is considered to be an
HTML bookmark.

-Mark

Evertjan.

wrote on 07 feb 2007 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

> I am encountering an error HTTP 404 - File not found. It seems that
> when I upload a file with a symbol # in the filename, this error
> occurs (e.g. case#2.pdf). I cannot access the file I uploaded. But
> when I upload the same file with a different filename or just without
> the symbol # (e.g. case2.pdf) , it works I can access the file. Why is
> this the case?

Try uploading with form post in stead of [form] querystring!

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Tim Slattery

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I am encountering an error HTTP 404 - File not found. It seems that
>when I upload a file with a symbol # in the filename, this error
>occurs (e.g. case#2.pdf). I cannot access the file I uploaded. But
>when I upload the same file with a different filename or just without
>the symbol # (e.g. case2.pdf) , it works I can access the file. Why is
>this the case?

This is your web site? What server-side process are you using to
receive the file? The "#" sign character is an unusual one to find in
a file name (and has a special meaning in a URL), and it may be that
whatever is handling the file on the server side just can't handle
that character.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)